Home Chat General Chat

Enemy of the Tri

shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
Ok so the title might be a bit deceiving but my weekend was one where nothing went right. I was aiming for a weekend of high intesity and high quality training but lets just say it did not pan out like that.

Conehead, I know now what you mean with the swimming nemesis.

I went to the pool after work on Fri determined to do a long swim and try and get some decent times done. So there I was plodding along doing quite well and I stopped for a breather. Then in comes this middle aged woman (now I am not being sexist or anything here, just telling it like it was) and she has the pull boy in tow. We both set of at the same time and she nailed it, she glided through the water while I was like a splashing seal struggling. She then get get the pull boy and kicks away as if the water wasn't there. She must've done about 5/6 length easily. I can hardly do two!!

So I decided enough was enough and left.... embarrased at my lack of technique ( and I thought I was doing ok. I can do 750m is 14 mins which I thought was decent).

So on Sat I get up early to go for a quick 20k on the bike. I got everything ready and set. I wasn't even 2k into the bike run and I had to stop to turn in to a right hand junction on a busy road. As I stopped I was trying to click out and I couldn't. I ended up on my side with the front cog stuck into my calf. So I know have a badly cut leg, with a bruise imprint of my nice cog. I didn't give up and I continued, only to record my slowest time on my bike at poor 25k/h.........I'm not blaming my leg I was just crap.

Sunday, went back to the pool and there she was..... the same woman from Friday. I left after 20mins as I couldn't stomach watching her.... I wish I was as good as that!!!!

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    honestly that woman will be the death of me. Its the first time I have seen her in my local.

I may need to change pool now.

As with the cycle, once that flamming weather improves, I'm back out there on that route to nail it.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    You are your own worst enemy[;)]. Swallow the pride. Makes the water taste better in any case.

Now, there is this quite elderly guy at my local pool - late 60s. Does a bit of crawl. I won't say whether he was faster than more or not. I'll leave that to your imagination. After a while, I noticed that his position in the water was a bit unusual. Quite low in the water. Eventually I realised that he just ended at the waist. No legs whatsoever. Has to be lowered and fetched out of the pool on a hoist.

It doesn't put me off. Just shows that anyone can do it - just takes a bit of time and practice, and dedication. Draw inspiration from it!
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    shadow1... 750m in 14 minutes?

I wish _I_ could do 750m in 14 minutes.

You are my middle aged woman mate! [:o]

didds

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Theres a chap at my local pool, who i see nearly every morning and we always stop and have a chat. He's in there for the whole hour, doing breaststroke nice and steady in the slow lane.

In fact you'd hardly notice he has no right arm or leg. He says he has to attach a weight to his shorts on the right hand side, or he'd just go around in circles. [:)]

Much to respect to these guys, we forget how lucky the rest us are. [8|]
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I am my own middle aged woman...
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Well i was fully shamed this morning in the pool by a bunch of kids having a coached session. It seems nemesis come in all shapes and sizes.....

And to top it all, another bunch of kids gave me gyp about my 'town bike' too, on the cycle home. Admittedly, it is a heap of c**p and cost exactly nine pounds including delivery from ebay but STILL! I'm relying on the fact that it's so damn ugly and rusty, no one in their right mind would want to nick it. so far, so good. But it doesn't save me from the jibes of children. Thank god i'm an adult and can rise above it. (sob!)
  • In the warrior code, theres no surrender.

Get her in the changing rooms next time, id lead in with a headbutt and jam one of her legs in the door and...no wait

Last time i was in the pool i got beat by all manner of people and i was doing a 1.5 k, i should be faster than a fat man, an old woman, a hot chick and the guy wearing board shorts. . . .

The chant is no surrender!!

I'm going back tonight...... I'm hoping for a nemesis free swim!
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I don't mind the older women swim nemesi so much. I just imagine them lining up next to me in a running race...

My personal nemisi were the county junior girls swim team in the lane next me. They seemed to be able to blast out 1:20 hundreds at will and then be laughing an joking at the end of it. Frightening when you consider a - they are young girls and b - there are kids out there who are a hell of a lot faster and c - that they will only get quicker as they get older. It's enough to make you want to quit right then and there.
    Ok so went to the pool last night and this nemesis that has appeared is not going away. Nothing could be further from the truth. I got tag teamed last night......

There I was practising drills in the swimming lane, fins on kicking away and she turns up with pull bhouy in hand, then comes that tag team partner.... the son.

Only problem was he was twice the swimmer she was and she was twice the swimmer I was.

I got sucked into an endurance swim which I lost as I had no asthma inhaler with me and I needed it.

How can a woman swim like that so effortlessly and then how does the boy manage to swim near on 60 length front crawl without stopping. Pesky little rats!

On another note, I feel hellish today. my whole body aches and I can hardly stand up without getting dizzy. I may be in for some bug...... hope not.