Home Chat General Chat

struggling on cr*ppy bike

Get a lend of a good bike you'll go faster

Comments

• meakiemeakie Posts: 124
    would love to, but dont know anyone who has one they could lend me that I could use to train on too and not just for the race..
    [:(]

I am doing my first tri on my MTB and having trained on it the last couple of weeks am thinking its going to be very hard.. any motivating ideas/words? as i aint got the dosh to get a good bike just yet, want to see if I am gonna stick at Tri before investing in one.

At the mo I am doing 4.5min miles.. is that completely rrrubbish or wot?

I know I am going to have to plod on with it for now, but just need some encouragement I think.. The swim and run is cool, just the cycling thats gonna let me down I think... hmmmm

• al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    Put slick tyres on your MTB if you haven't already. This will make a big difference for about £30.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    As al says put some slick tyres on. Also lose anything that you don't need for the race - mudguards, spare bottle holders etc..

What's certain is that you will have built up good leg strength using the MTB..once you get a road bike you'll fly.

Also try and make sure you use the gears sensibly..don't make it harder work than it has to be.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I did my first tri on a mountain bike. There's no two ways about it, it's gonna slow you down compared to even an entry level racing bike.

For your first tri though, i wouldnt worry too much. The buzz of finishing will outweigh any dissapointment over slow times. And you'll absolutely murder your bike split when you do it next year on a better machine!
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    What about a hybrid? Can you borrow one of those?
    I do have slicks on it already, and I can see the difference, Its just a cr*ppy MTB tho and I spose I just have to deal with that. like u said though, my legs may benefit and then when I finally get a road bike it should be easier! nice :-)

and for the record yeah I just hope to finish the tri and not be cursing at my bike the whole time! lol

the gears on it are hard work, cant wait to bin the swine personally just dont have the dosh right now to get a new one.

hey ho

thanks for posting, appreciate it
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Mowf wrote:

I did my first tri on a mountain bike. There's no two ways about it, it's gonna slow you down compared to even an entry level racing bike.

For your first tri though, i wouldnt worry too much. The buzz of finishing will outweigh any dissapointment over slow times. And you'll absolutely murder your bike split when you do it next year on a better machine!

This is what I'm hoping to experience on Sunday!
    Conehead wrote:

Buy my Trek Time Trial frame - it's just the frame obviously so probably won't go very fast without wheels n stuff, but.....its carbon so at least you'll look cool while stationary.

[:D]
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    i think your being hard on yourself

If you are doing 4.5 min miles then thats 10 miles in 45 mins.

Which is pretty good for an amatuer.

The way i see it with times dont be overly concern about one element of the race.

I dont know what distances your doing but.

If you take a sprint 400 metres swim, 10 mile bike, 3 mile run roughly.

6-10 mins for the swim, 30-60 mins for the bike and 20-30 mins for the run.+ 2.5 mins for each transition.

Even if you take the maximums times there you should still finish in about 1.45, which for a starter is good, you then have a base to build on, dont try and go for broke from your first tri, you will put to much pressure on yourself and end up giving up after one.

You will be fine, remember you will go faster on the day, for sure.
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    Chin up meakie, you'll be fine. I did all my training and first 2 sprints on this bady boy http://forum.220magazine.com/fb.asp?m=33749 by which time I realised I had really taken to the training and the thrill of competing / finishing races.

Then, once I realised I was in it for the long-haul, I went and splurged on the Silver Bullet and my bike splits came tumbling down.
    Jelly legs wrote:

i think your being hard on yourself

If you are doing 4.5 min miles then thats 10 miles in 45 mins.

Which is pretty good for an amatuer.

The way i see it with times dont be overly concern about one element of the race.

I dont know what distances your doing but.

If you take a sprint 400 metres swim, 10 mile bike, 3 mile run roughly.

6-10 mins for the swim, 30-60 mins for the bike and 20-30 mins for the run.+ 2.5 mins for each transition.

Even if you take the maximums times there you should still finish in about 1.45, which for a starter is good, you then have a base to build on, dont try and go for broke from your first tri, you will put to much pressure on yourself and end up giving up after one.

You will be fine, remember you will go faster on the day, for sure.

Hey jelly legs, I am doing a sprint, but the distances are

400m swim

15.5 mile bike

4.5 mile run

so they are a little further than what u noted

I cycled 25k in the gym the other nite in 56 mins- I was well happy, but had no weather, traffic, distractions huh. so i know that my actual bike on the road time is gonna be longer. I spose I am just worried incase I have naff gear, but appreciate its my first one and need to see if I like it before buying any gear. I just am a bit worried that I will find it very hard and that will be detrimental to my run section..

My swim is 9mins, I can run 4.5miles in 42mins and even after doing 30 mins on the bike at 4.5 min miles I can still keep up my just over 9 min miles on the run. So I think my training is going ok. any comments on those times? .. advice?

thanks

And hey Squishy, thanks for the words of encouragement, I looked at the pic of your bike - I feel better now! [:)]

Shell
    I cycled 25k in the gym the other nite in 56 mins

Forget that, on the road it will be quicker not slower, harder but def quicker.

Gym bikes dont have the real effect of being on a road, they dont take into account going up hills, even little ones that you cant see,or those long sweeping hills that you can head down and pedal like crazy, trying to hit that magical ITS FASTER THAN I'VE EVER BEEN BEFORE..( but you need to get out there and do it on a proper road).

My swim is 9mins

Thats good, my sprint last year i did 9 mins and did the whole thing in 1 29( which was under what i wanted to do), People came in behind me at everything from 9 mins up to 20.

As for the run at the end, in my opinion there is a key to that, its called energy drink and spinning.

Dont push the bike for the last mile or so, just spin the wheels and drink as much energy drink as you can, then when you jusmp of the bike you dont have the JELLY LEGS as bad as people racing to the end.

Remember its your first one, enjoy it and train hard for the next one, you will get better and you will want to beat that time.
    what distances on the bike and run did you do at your sprint last yr?
    400 swim

22 km bike

5 km run
  • iangriffiangriff Posts: 48
    Meakie

I done my first tri on my MTB and I was one on the last to cross the line, but the thrill off completing it was great.

I was nervous before the race because i didn't have all the kit and thought i'm gonna be the odd one out and so slow compared to everyone else. Wrong

As it was pool based swim we all went off in waves so there was no masses to jostle with and the winner was not known until the last person crossed the line.

Everyone is in there own individual race against the clock.

When i crossed the line though and got the goodie bag and t shirt i knew that i had done the best i could do. I also thought right this is where it all starts, i've had a taste i like it and want some more.

With regards to times, don't worry, it's good to have an idea of how fast and how long you think you'll take. Personally as it was my first event I wanted to know i could complete the distance especially the swim.

adrenalin will kick in on the day which will give you a extra boost, control it in the early stages and you'll be fine.

When you see the final results you may be surprised.

When you finished though put your feet up get on the internet and start searching for that new bike.

Enjoy your race.

Completing your first tri is the main thing.

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Another vote from the "Don't stress it, just enjoy yourself" corner!

My first tri (440m, 20km, 5km) was on a completely worn-out Halford's 'Carrera Shitter' MTB. It was very tired BUT I had made sure the gears were indexed properly, the chain was cleaned and bathed in fresh oil and I put some slicks on and pumped 'em up to the maximum.

In short, the bike was as good as it was going to get. I even took off those funny forward extensions that you can get on MTBs and swapped sides and turned them upside down so they were like pathetic little drop bars.

Also, though it's probably a bit late now, you can do a lot to get your position sorted on your MTB to make it better for constant power output. People often have their MTB seat too low for road riding. Put it high so that your leg is almost straight at it's most extended - forget about being able to touch the floor. For a short ride you might also want to drop the bars as far down as they will go. It won't be comfortable and it won't be optimal, but stuff like this can save you minutes when riding an MTB in a road race.

Most of all, though, make sure the bike is safe then get out there and bloody well enjoy it!!! Do your best, make sure you cross the line knowing you left it all out on the course, be proud of yourself that - despite many tri-ers getting obsessed about perfection - even finishing one of the damned things, even a super-sprint, puts you straight into a rather small percentage of the population who can actually say "I've done it!".

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Check out your local rag or shop for bikes for sale.

There's a Peugeot racer in my local rag today for £30 it'll probably mean frame shifters but it'll be faster than the MTB.

G
  • whatever you do dont rush out and buy cheapest roadie you can find if it means you leave yourself short of cash to buy a better one later on. i have a very slow road bike and honestly im faster some days on my mountain bike... i think its the gears.

but deffos you'll be fine on your mountain bike for a couple then if you like it treat yourself to a new road bike!! [:)] x
    sorry guys, going a wee bit against advice now but I got myself a road bike :-))))) ( a cheapish one) am SO happy with it, its so much easier and I have really been enjoying the training since I got it - I have only had it a week but have been out on it 5 times and I love it!! my First Tri is next sunday so I am feeling so much more positive about it.

OK, I know its not the most expensive bike but to be honest I wouldnt have had a big budget in a few months anyway as I do so many other sports and they cost dosh too so I figured whilst I had this cash I should go out and get me a road bike. my boyf spotted it and when I went to the shop to have a butchers at it, it was like it was made for me, I am no road bike expert and I know its not the highest spec available but its what I could afford and boy was I happy with it, and its so easy to ride. I have gone from doing 13.1 mph on my mtb to 15.5 mph.

My 4.5 min miles are now a hell of a lot quicker!

Thanks for your advice, but I no longer am using a crappy bike!

Heres to next sunday! [:D]
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    1 just enjoy yourself

2 I have a road bike and pleanty of people beat me in my first tri on their MTBs and will undoubtadly continue to do so

3 it's addictive
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Your goonna be fine, i did my first tri on a mtb as i think most do, enjoy it, and just think you will overtake people on flash bikes and i assure you there is no better feeling in the world!

Accept your not going to win it and forget about the time, once youve done this first one then you have something to aim at and destroy
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    I have gone from doing 13.1 mph on my mtb to 15.5 mph.

My 4.5 min miles are now a hell of a lot quicker!

Told ya................................
    [:D][:D][:D]
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Great encouragement Bopomofo - just what is needed and so true!
  • WoolyWooly Posts: 63
    My first Tri was on a folding bike so you'll be flying on the new road bike!!! Main thing as has been said before - just enjoy the day (it'll fly by leaving you looking at the number on your arm as confirmation that you've actually done it!!!)
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    just2tri wrote:

Great encouragement Bopomofo - just what is needed and so true!

Bopo is the king of sound advice.
    I cant wait to get the number on my arm!! sounds daft but I am kind of hoping it wont wash off for a while then people can stop me and say "hey whys that on your arm" and I can tell em :-))))

I may just have to wear short sleeved tops to work for a while even when cold so I can show it off!

hahahah

BIG GRIN!!

I am sooo excited yet nervous about this sunday.. CANT frikkin wait!!!!

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    My first event was the Lincoln tri in 2006 with about 6 weeks preparation, i.e. a couple of swim sessions, my weekly spin class and a couple of 5Km runs a week, well at least one-ish. Did NO cycling on the road but did take the reflectors off the spokes on my £60 Halfords steel mtb, hang on - no reflectors still on. Knew nothing about bikes, hadn't used it in ages so reasoned that if my car tyre pressure are 26psi then 40psi seems about right - well they felt sort of hardish. I was also carrying about 10Kgs more than I am now (now 65ish) and I still can't get rid of my little belly 'roll'. Despite my meagre performance I got hooked - 15:17 400m swim & T1 (well doesn't everyone wrap a towel around them while they take off their swim trunks, dry themselves, talc, put on cycle shorts and vest, dry and talc feet put on socks and trainers then apply sunscreen?), 1:01:48 Bike, 31:24 5 Km run; total 1:48:29

So in other words like most of us here we gave it a go on whatever we had and hang what anyone else thought, if (ha if!!!) you get hooked keep the creditcard to hand 'cos it can get expensive BUT it need not do so, there are plenty of people out ther turning in VERY credible performances on the bikes that they go to work on.

Most importantly ENJOY!!!! Aim to finish anything else is a bonus.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    meakie wrote:

I cant wait to get the number on my arm!! sounds daft but I am kind of hoping it wont wash off for a while then people can stop me and say "hey whys that on your arm" and I can tell em :-))))

They should last a few days. I still have mine on my legs from Sunday, I have even used beaded hand cleaner to try and get them off. The ones on my arms faded yesterday though.