Home Chat General Chat

Supposed to be my first Triathlon

GGBGGB Posts: 482
GGB

Sounds like you did a decent job in the face of unforeseen changes and those bloody hills! Thanks for sharing your story, it helps the rest of us prepare for such instances.

Its all good experience not matter if its just the two or three disciplines. You're a better triathlete today than you were yesterday. FACT.

Look forward and prepare for your next.

G

Comments

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Well done - sounds like a windy orrible day.

Was the last run 3 or 5km ?

I'd be a little annoyed of the swim being scrapped - especially after 130 mile drive!!!!

• GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Well today was to be my First Triathlon 750 Open water 20k Bike 5k Run ....

It was not to be :( gutted ... Water temperature was 1/2 degree too low for the swim according to BTF rules - therefore it was changed to a duathlon, so all wasn't lost but still dissappointed after the 130 mile drive to the event.

Anyway - the event was changed to duathlon of 3k 20k 5k on Mallory Park race track, I allways thought mallory Park was quite flat, that was my first error

Weather was ok of sorts - overcast, cool, but quite windy.

After a delayed start we set off on the 3k run - I was struggling to keep up with the main field so just ran my own race - a bit disheartened at this point (Running been my worst discipline).

So onto T1 which went ok and onto the bike - set off fine into a headwind, bit slow but then went up the far end of the circuit, should have been a tail wind but wasnt, and bloody hill (felt like it) - thought well at least there will be a downhill bit - there was - straight into a headwind ... this was going to be hard work. It was hard work and was knackered come the end of it

Off into T2 - went well - then the run, 1st lap full circuit then 2 laps shorter circuit - So first lap ... ohhh nooo Hill ... had to walk half way up HR was heading towards 180. This is the point I nearly gave in - but before the top I started running again - Phew first lap over - next two laps were ok but was very hard work in the wind and my calves were not happy - but hey I did it and finished it - no idea atm where I finished but it would be near the back lol .

SO times were :-

3k Run + T1 - 14.00m

20k Bike - 41.36m

T2 - 1.16m

5k Run - 25.43m

Total time 1hr22.36

I am still gutted about not swimming as am sure I could have got through the rest of it easier - but thats how things go I suppose - was still a great day out, if cold and windy, and would do that event again next year.

When the final results are posted will find out where abouts I came ...

So still not a Triathlete yet :( - butwill be within a couple of months ;)
    Cheers ;)

WillIeverfinish - Yes the 2nd run was 5k - I have ammended it now.

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Not a criticism mate - good times indeed.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    GGB - Its a kink in the balls but at least it wasnt cancelled completely.

Sounds like you did good anyway.

Focus on the next one!
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Nothing wrong with those times GGB.

There was a strong wind around on Sunday..the bike section of my tri was hard, hard work.

I reckon you will have done better than you expect. Plus you've had valuable race and transition experience.

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Hard luck GGB. Good times though, especially on a grim sounding day.
    Cheers for the support - in hindsite its not a bad result for me - running is not my best of the disciplines and would have prefered to swim ;)

• brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    look at it this way...you got in extra training on your weaker discipline and that's a good thing...it also shows that you didn't give up and that you did it anyway...in tough conditions by the sounds of it...its all good (albeit a swim might've helped but eh...)

good times tho...i'd be happy if i was you...

and now you know you can do duathlons during the winter months... [:)]