Home Chat General Chat

Calf strain and treatment

Hi Leezar, welcome to the forum.

Firstly, there are few people on this forum who are qualified to give you medical advice. Even people who have suffered similar injuries may not give you the specific advice that a qualified doctor/physio can give. So get yourself to the docs or physio. I would favour the physio.....

Secondly, if you can perform each discipline individualy then you are pretty much there or there-abouts. When you are fit again try some bricks, (bike to run) start off low intensity, maybe a 10 mile bike followed by a 1.5-2km run. This will condition your body to cope with the transition from riding to running. Generaly everyone goes through the same anxiety when approaching their first race, and on the day you'll be fine.

Comments

• LeezarLeezar Posts: 36
    I have managed to pull my calf from overdoing the training this weekend and I’m not sure what is the best practice for healing other than rest.

Will applying heat to the calf help recovery?

Its also made me concerned about the missed time for training, i have only given myself a total of 12 weeks to my first tri from zero fitness. With the missed training time is making we worried that I’m not going to be fit enough to compete.... I can complete all 3 disciplines individually but having problems when combining sessions, so need a lot of work on my core fitness!
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    RICE still it stops hurting.

Then some strengthening exercises in the gym.

Hamstrings may be related - so stretches and strengthening also.

The ease back into it.

Look into some compression socks - they work wonders.
  • LeezarLeezar Posts: 36
    Thanks for the replies guys

I further days rest with hot water bottle treatment and a good arnica massage has loosened it up enough so i can even walk down stairs without looking like a 1 year old taking their first steps.

Hoping to be able to take an easy swim some time at the weekend fingers crossed