Home Chat General Chat

Racking your bike

Just a quickie... If you rack your bike the day before an event (I'm thinking Windsor) would you advise locking it up? Are the areas secure? And generally if someone was to have their bike nicked, would it be on Windsor tri's insurance?

And has anyone else experienced the 6am sprint starts at Windsor? I'm not I can eat breakfast that early... Would a big dinner the night before suffice and maybe a gel just before the start?

Comments

• MGMG Posts: 470
    I have raced at Windsor before (I take it you're doing a Humanrace event?). The transition Areas are secure, usually a large fenced in area, but as triathlon is growing throughout the UK so is the rumour of thieves striking these events and making off with competitors equipment!! TW@S!!

Several Ironman events have been hit with £1000s worth of bikes being pilfered. In the end of the day the small print will say that Humanrace are not resposible for any thefts so if I were you I'd take a lock and lock your frame to the rack.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Cheers MG, lovin the moves and yes, human race event.

Will be taking every lock I own and locking up Red Kev securely... He does get a bit frustrated but when I finally set him free he'll be raring to go.

At least youll spot your bike in transition....................

[image]local://1517/DAD1892901154E5086BA395E0267B045.jpg[/image]
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    only looks like 1 lock is fixed to anything at the front wheel

I suppose it would be rather heavy though
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

Regardless of any promises of security in transition, I would lock my bike if I were leaving it overnight before a race, and probably take the wheels off too. If there's going to be a theft, then perhaps if my bike is locked, it's less likely to abscond.

As for declining liability for bike security if you're requiring competitors to leave them overnight, that's a complete cop-out.
    I agree, but, to include insurance for your kit would increase the price for (an already expensive) race fee. Its easier (and cheaper for us) for companys to decline responsibilty. However, if you're leaving your pride and joy in a transition area overnight, lock it up!!
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Just remember to unlock it before the race.."Where's that damn key?!!"