Home Chat General Chat

Transition - carrying your kit

Newbie question (and if been asked a hundred times just post a link and mild abuse [:D])

It occured to me that for my first tri i will have all manner of kit (bike shoes, wetsuit, towel, helmet...etc etc) and my bike to transport from parking to transition

Do you guys use a big holdall, a box or some other device.

Was thinking hard plastic box so i could potentially sit on it in T1 to get sock and bike shoes on...

Any rules as to what can be in transition, how much space do you typically get

Thanks

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Something like this will do the trick

[:D]

http://www.staples.co.uk/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=,&webid=393975&affixedcode=WW

[image]local://2838/6C93102E95F74E85ABD5765360359E87.jpg[/image]
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Asda are selling a 45 litre box similar to the one Gary is showing for £4 including locking lid.

I bought one and its big enough to carry everything you'll reasonably need.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    I used a tubtrug at weekend, can't sit on it but as its slightly flexible you can fit it into a smaller space and most importantly come in a variety of colours http://www.ridendrive.co.uk/acatalog/Products_Buckets___Mangers_47.html

- mines baby blue like my bike and have to say stood out nicely in transition
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I haven't quite figured this one out yet ... I have a large holdall to carry all my stuff to the event - then I have a collapsable box for transition - reason for the two is that its easier to carry the holdall and collapsable box than to try carry a box while wheeling your bike ... not sure if it works yet though - only doen 2 duathlons.

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    I've used one of the large IKEA bags before on my aquathlons...

http://coffeeandcelluloid.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/ikea-bag.jpg

much easier to use when wheeling a bike than a big box (which was a relative disaster for me the one time I used one at my first tri).

didds

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Try a sheet of garden netting, I've used some and fashioned it into a box/bag of sorts. It carries the kit and provides a reasonably decent surface to stand on when changing!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Can I just say that you will end up IN the box if you sit on the one pictured. All the suggestions have their difficulties...boxes are a pain whilst moving bike around, bags get wet (as do their contents) in the rain, Ikea bags blow away..so pick what you can work with..more trial & error.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Britspin wrote:

, Ikea bags blow away

not if you leave a small child inside one...

didds

• fatstufatstu Posts: 46
    Big boxes rock - make sure you have a lid for when it's raining (although that never happens at UK tri's right?) If you get it right you should be able to balance it across your aerobars to walk to transition

Other great T1 tip especially for coastal tri's - washing up bowl with water - sandy feet in, clean feet out, socks on, helmet on and go (don't forget to take your bike...)
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    may I introduce the next generation of triathlon gear: The transition box 4000:

[image]local://2866/190A682574CC47829382AD8B66FC6B3C.jpg[/image]
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    2 thoughts.

''We're gonna need a bigger transition area...''

Triathlon? An expensive sport?...nah......
  • han382han382 Posts: 80
    Can I get a Transition Box 4000 on the Cycle2Work scheme?
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    hey scott...for someone that doesn't have a car so has to cycle to the train to get to an event...i tend to use a backpack..it's mid size and seems to work fine...to stop the stuff getting wet with the wetsuit...a good size back or garbage bag inside the sack works fine...for my first tri i used a box and found it too bulky....but that's me...everyone to their own.....trial and error as britspin says...