Home Chat General Chat

serious back pain

shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
Get some ibuprofen in ya and get seen by a professional. And get well again soon! [8|]

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Been having a few pains in my back for a while now and been noticing it more when I've come out of T1 and onto the bike. Been playing with the set up on the bike and been feeling pretty good.

Done some turbo work on Monday and then onto to some core exercises. Felt fine. Went to the pool on Tuesday, felt fine although a bit tired. Yesterday had a day off and my body was tired anyway.

Woke up this morning and my back is killing me. Can't bend my neck forward as I get in my lower back at L1, L2.

Had some serious back probs when I younger and spent 2 years at physio and had upteen MRI's.

I'm trying to get an appoint at the docs but I'm bricking it incase they tell me the season is over for me before its really began..........

I'm in total agony at the moment and its a similar pain to what I had before so I'm expecting the worst.

;-(
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Personally I would see a physio asap, rather than a doc.

Docs, in my experience, generally refer you and then it takes ages waiting for the physio appointment. Then you're torn between training/waiting..

I feel for you, because I've had back pain in the past and it can be agonising and hugely frustrating.

A few things to think about - bike set up as you mentioned (making changes too quickly or being in the wrong/overstretched position); core exercises are great, but make sure your form is perfect; swim technique; tight hamstrings; bad posture.

A physio will sort you out.

Good luck.
    when I was younger I was plagued with tight hamstring and after the last tri I noticed how tight they were.

I've just popped another two brufen and its dulled the pain but not taken it away. I'm hoping that when I see th doc I get a priority app for the physio given my history.

The funny thing(or not) is that when I was younger I used to do muay thai boxing and was told to give it up for the sake of my back to take up swimming/ cycling/ running (see the pattern).

I've done this and still getting problems.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Hmmm, back pain is often associated with tight hamstrings. In view of your history, do you follow a stretching programme? Running and cycling both=tight hamstrings. they often need extra attention...
    I try and follow the exercises that the physio gave me all those years ago.

I may not be doing them correctly now. Good news is that I've an appoint for the docs at 3.50 so I'm one step closer.

It may be nothing but I'm just taking any chances.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Any Neuro Deficit - ie pins and needles in arms/legs, shivering feeling accross bottom down to top of legs?

Can you sit down and straight leg lift your foot off the floor keeping your femur parallel to the ground ?

Is is worse in one leg or the other or isolated lumber pain ?

have you opened your bowel in last 12 hours ? Normal ( This is not a fetish BTW)

Any problems urinating ?

Ben

pins and needles yes, most def, all the time in both legs but only when sitting in certain positions.

Presently I can hardly move so I'm not trying anything until I have decent painkillers and seen the docs.

The lumber pain is in discs L1,L2 and is more evident when I bend my neck forward. Sciatica perhaps?

Dunno.

This is supposed to be my night on the turbo, guess I'm having some RICE......grrr
    Prolapsed or herniated Disc is my guess I'm afraid.

Take great care with this mate....... go and see Physio asap and GP for an MRI referral quick time,

May be sciatica though.

well sorts of good news. my back is just in spasm and I've to chill out for a few days. So hopefully after a few days good rest I'll be back on my feet!!!

Killing me though as I had a big turbo session planned tonight and then a nice swim tomorrow and a nice bike run on sat.

All up in the air now!!
    Great news.

Did the doc give you diazapam ?

Yes he did, but I'm very wary of taking those.

He gave me co-codamol as well, told me that Physio will prob be needed but to give it a bit of rest.

How did you know?
    I work in the medical world - Ambulance service..... It's a standard drug treatment for that kid of problem.

Take them - don't be worried just titrate them until you get a pain free experience... then don't overdo it for a few weeks... remember - just cos the pain has gone ( thanks to drugs) it doesn't mean the cause has been addressed. Don't make matters worse.

I'll shut up now or I'll start to bore you. [:o]

good luck mate

• JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Sorry to jump in on this.

I also have tight hamstrings. When I train for Tri everything is fine, but as soon as I decide to go back to a rugby training session with lots of sprints, I get a really stiff lower back. End up walking like a cripple for a few mins until all is well again.

Is that becuase of tight ham strings. ie Sprinting overstretches them? Hence the stiffness.

Anybody have good stretches for hamstrings?
  • Shadowone,

I sympathise. I have had lower back problems for several years. Last year I spent eight weeks off work and missed my last three races of the season. (And lost the entry fees!!!!!) Spent two weeks at a physio centre at the start of this year where I was told that one of my facet joints in the lower back has probably deteriorated and is therefore continuously locking. When this happens, all the muscles around it, go into spasm. This happened again last week, although not to the extent of last year. It is killing me not being able to train at the moment, but I saw an Osteopath on Weds and again today and he reckons I should be able to start cycling again this Monday.

I've gone from being hunched over and in continuous pain to nearly back to training, in just a week and a half. And one of the bast things that seemed to help was ice on the back for half an hour, each evening.

Hope your back to training soon.