Home Chat General Chat

Bike shoes+Elastic Bands....

tomtristomtris Posts: 135
Distance from transition to bike mount may make a difference,best to practice and see what results you get before trying it out on the day for the first time.

Comments

• tomtristomtris Posts: 135
    yeah for sure. they also have sod all grip so not too keen to run in them
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Hi tomtris

Mmmmmm........are you sure you will be able to slide your feet into your standard cycling shoes? Because unless you are you'd be better off putting them on in T1. I know i don't have a lot of experience but i have been where you are now.

I was (and remain) convinced that there is no way i could leave my standard cycling shoes clipped onto the peddles and just slide my feet in after jumping on the bike. No way!

So for me i had to choose between putting shoes on in T1 and running with them on (not recommended by the experts due to slipping hazard, however, i've seen loads of people doing it) OR buy a pair of tri-shoes and leave them clipped in - using the lackie bands trick to hold them upright.

But leaving the standard shoes clipped in seems like you're making thinks difficult for yourself!

[;)]

P.S.

I went and got some tri specific cycling shoes!
    Thanks gary, appreciate advice from anyone with more experience than me!

Yeah i havent tried 'slipping' them in yet, maybe i should see how easy this is first before making any decisions.

I need to see how long the tranistion is really...

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    When you get to the race have a look at the surface between transition and bike mount,rough,loose gravel may make sense to wear shoes,soft grass short distance equals shoes on bike.
    Hey 'yall

First sprint tri coming up at end of the month. I have some road bike shoes, but no tri shoes, not that Im too worried, but I am lacking the loop at the back of my bike shoes to attach the old 'lacky band.

Whats everyones thoughts on using a bit off gaffa tape on the back of the shoes to hold an elastic band in place?

Or should I not bother and just slip them on during t1?

ah yes, plus i dont want to end up arse over...
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    tomtris wrote:

ah yes, plus i dont want to end up arse over...

wet grass...bare feet= arse over.....

dry tarmac...cycle shoes = arse over...

It is bound to happen,try running flat footed with short strides.
  • even if you have tri shoes - mastering the running and jumping on the bike and doing the shoes up whislt moving without practice is not easy .............. practice and see if you can actually put a pair of cycling shoes on whilst moving - my advice buy a cheap pair of tri shoes and practice, practice, practice ............... and if you can't be bothered with that then stick with the cycling shoes and stick em on in T1 ................. hope that makes some kind of sense ?
    I raced at the weekend and the distance from bike rack to mounting point was a good 50 meters, it was all concrete (or similar uncomfortable hard stuff). I still went bear feet as i still consider it the safest and fastest way - that said i didn't run fast at all - you have to land softly each step!

Anyway - i did it and have it on video. Note that even though i had my tri-shoes clipped in one of the rubber bands popped off and one shoe was not help upright - didn't make that much difference, just an extra few seconds getting my foot in.

Video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX8PZGzLy80

• jacjac Posts: 452
    Did you turn your race belt round Gary?

arh......i had it on if that's what you mean! Last time i forgot it all together!
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Gaz, I notice on your vid that your left shoe hasn't fastened back with the bands.... either that or it snapped as you left T1??

Regarding the cycle shoe with no tab issue.....

You could sow a loop of material onto the back of the shoe if the shoes material allows.... I wouldnt like to try and tape it to the bike.... although it may work? Try it well before the race to see if it does work.

I always run in bare feet from the lake or pool.. and from T1 to mount line regardless of distance/condition of road etc. only time i wouldnt use the elastic bands method would be if the mount line was on a hill for obvious reasons!

Gaz, I notice on your vid that your left shoe hasn't fastened back with the bands.... either that or it snapped as you left T1??

Popped off! Note to self: make sure the band is well located!

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    I like your swim Gary, looks very good, smooth and calm.

I wish....

• j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    Great videos Gary, thanks for posting
  • BexHBexH Posts: 226
    Dear Points of View. Right, was wondering if someone can clear this up for me- it is really hard to find girls tri shoes (they didn't have any in the tri shop which is really good usually) so i just have normal cycling shoes. However there is no way I'm going to attempt the elastic band thing as know with 3 velcro straps and beginners wobbliness it just ain't going to happen. I have no worries about running in socks through gravel / whatever so are you allowed to carry shoes to end of transition then pop them on right before you jump on bike or do you actually have to put them on before unracking bike or do the band trick? Confused of Dorset
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    You do what works best for you...I run in tri shoes...clippity clop, clippity clop...with shimano spd cleats so less chance of slippage. Carrying shoes whilst controlling a bike, whilst running, whilst out of breath from the swim accompanied by mild panic..mmmm does not sound good to me. Best way to carry shoes in my opinion? On yer feet.
  • BexHBexH Posts: 226
    Cool, thanks Britspin. I shall prob put them on and run like a duck on ice then...
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    gotta love that video gary. every video my girlfriend takes of me at a race also has the 'go on babe!' voiceover!![:D]
  • gomiboygomiboy Posts: 59
    Another tip is to put some baby powder in your cycling shoes before the race. Helps your feet slide in a little easier.

I don't strap my shoes to my bike, first because I'm afraid of losing one, and second because it's harder for me to slip them on whilst on the bike than it is for me to run in them. Just run flat-footed and be careful.
  • fatstufatstu Posts: 46
    I'm no tri expert yet but I've done a few, so here is what I suggest. For info, i don't have tri shoes yet mine are 3 velcro strap jobs.

[ol][*]If your shoes have a ratchet buckle and you have to feed a plastic thing into the ratchet, put them on in transition regardless of anything else, even if transition is on an ice rink - no way you are getting those on properly without ending up on your face, especially if like my other road shoes they have an elastic strap to make the fit better but which for tri just makes them utterly impossible to put on while moving. I'm serious, don't even try it

[*]If you have several individual velcro straps like me, put tape over the end to stop them being able to come out of the loop, no way you can do that moving either

[*]If the bike course starts up a steep hill of more than about 100m, put the shoes on in T1 (and make a mental note not to go to that tri again - what kind of sadists are they???!!!)

[*]Tarmac, dry grass (or sodden grass/mud) - shoes on bike (saw someone last year trying unsuccessfully to clip in with mud all over their cleats)

[*]Gravel, broken glass etc for more than 50m - shoes on bike, old running shoes you have been meaning to throw away because they smell so bad and have no sole left on your feet (unless the marshals tell you you can't). just remember to go back and get them after the race, leaving those in lost property would just be mean...

[*]Gravel for less than 50m - shoes on feet unless you are braver than me - certainly for OD or greater. I sliced my foot at a sprint last year between swim and transition area (so not much i could have done) and didn't know until after the race but starting an OD run or greater with holes in your feet would be horrible. 50m tottering in bike shoes or 10k with cut feet, i think the tottering works out quicker over the total event

[*]Once on the bike, don't be in a mad rush to get the shoes on, get some speed built up first - why go to the effort of the gazelle like leap (copyright Conehead) to then wobble around trying to get your feet in while you are hardly moving?

[*]Careful with non-tri shoes and the velcro opening as they are likely to face the chain. Mine are short enough not to get caught but try yours first to check

[*]If you have saddle mounted water bottles, make sure you can still get your leg over (cue various legover gags)[/ol]

Think that's it, the key is practice - i now start almost all my bricks with the shoes on the bike
    Thanks Fatstu! excellent notes! But with the lack of loops on the back of my bike shoes, i suppose I have no choice but to slip them on in t1. Guess they will just fall of whilst bouncing along the ground attached to the pedals?

• steve785steve785 Posts: 52
    hi just make sure whatever you choose suits you and practise transitions i did horwich tri last weekend and the bike started on a hill so ran with them on, chesire tri on 31/5 flat transition will leave shoes on bike use whatever suits good luck dude race well
  • First timerFirst timer Posts: 139
    Personnaly i clip on my tri shoes and have the left shoe held on up on a lastic band the right just free. Runn bare foot but run on the balls of my feet to prevent injury. stop quickly at the mount line left foot on shoe hop on and flick the right shoe with my toes and place foot on top ride for a bit then put my feet in using the loops at the back of the shoes.

It sounds complicated but in fact is very quick and easy.

[:-]