Home Chat General Chat

Heart Rate Monitors

I have the funds to buy one and I think It may help my training or at least show how my fitness is improving.

Any recommendations for you guys and gals who have them ?

I want a basicy type one - not fussed about GPS and all that cobblers

Also - can you use them in water when swimming ?

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I got mine from wiggle. Was/is very basic and does the job.

Can't remember what I paid for it, it was cheap though
  • Wiggle are doing the x train for 30 quid-ish which gets good reviews. The polar f3 is very basic, i took mine back when i realised how little it did. i wanted something that had different training zones and also showed heart rate as a percentage, the f3 didn't do either.

the extra features are worth paying for if you think you will be a regular user e.g. every bike ride, every run!

joe friel has written a good book called the heart rate training manual (or bible, one or the other) available on amazon quirte cheaply, explains eveyhting brilliantly.

just make sure you take the time to determine your lactate threshold, 220-age is crap and was way out for me!

follow this link for an explanaition of the lactate threshlod test http://www.trainingbible.com/pdf/The_30Minute_Test.pdf

hope this helps, heart rate training has made such a massive difference to me - i stopped getting ill all the time, and started getting faster!

• starcherstarcher Posts: 126
    hiya

I have a Garmin forerunner 50 cost 27 quid from Amazon its great though the software is a bit suspect but you can add cadence and footpod aswell as hrm.

Mat

• Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    I just ordered a Suunto T4c. Mainly because of good reports on the net and a mate who has one and swears by it. The 'Training Effect' function gives you an effort scale of 1-5 to work in (training zones), plus it can give you a training recommendation based on your previous workouts. That's the idea anyway - I'll post again when I've had a chance to look at it properly myself.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Polar_F6_Mens_Heart_Rate_Monitor/5360033130/

Looking at this with interest.... It doesn't have to be hundreds of pounds for 2 reasons

1) I need it for basic work

2) I don't have that much money to spend

Can you use these is water ?

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Okey dokey

Here is what I've entered so far then :

Your Chace Race on 20th Sep

Norwich Sprint ( OW) in 2 months 750m swim, 20km bike and 5km run

1st swim today went reasonably well - and I'll e mail you tomorrow re the last e mail about RK.

Christ I've got some work to do [:@]