Home Chat General Chat

F.E.A.R.

Okay so I know it's only a sprint, but it's my first one. Anxiety dreams, feeling like I haven't trained hard enough...

Can do the individual distances but never put the three together and I'm terrified I'm going to be last... Going in the first wave at Eton on Sunday 17th (35-36) and can imagine I won't be overtaking a single person.

Visions of finishing and finding my misses has left without me due to the shame.

Any final week tips anyone? It's definitely not my A race so it's just a practice right? Right?

Oh jesus...

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    With the wisdom absorbed thru your monitor you will not be last, you will do something daft in the adrenaline fuelled rush, you will either swim or bike or run faster than you thought you would because of that rush..(or all three), you will enjoy more than you thought, you will post here still in the rush afterwards telling us how well it all went. Good luck.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Just do your own thing. Don't try to chase a time. Eton was my first ever race last year. I was 5th from last out of the lake, and the fact I got out the lake was good enough for me. But I had a blast. Everyone's so supportive.

When things go wrong.... Don't panic. My first Oly last year, the zip on my wetsuit broke as I was doing it up 10 minutes before the start. Got a good warm up dashing to the hiring tent.

Come back on here on the Monday after and tell us how you get on.

All the best for it.
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Hey Flavadale

I too felt like i hadn't done enough, or at least - i could of done more. But you have and it will show that you have. So cap those nerves off and focus on the perfect race, the perfectly relaxed (but remarkably fast) swim, a smooth transition (remembering to put your belt on), enjoy the ride - push hard up those hills, because if you can find that little bit more than the competition, you'll beat them. T2 will be FAST FAST FAST, rack the bike - slip the shoes on and go (25 seconds MAX), and on to the run, start slower but as soon as you feel good go for a 5k PB, you can die AFTER the race -

Visualise the whole thing going very perfectly.

We're all behind you!
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    nerves are good...they keep you alert....guaranteed tho when you get there and see everyone else looking exactly the same...you'll calm down a bit...a million pit stops to the loo to be expected...but soo will everyone else...

a few deep breaths before starting works for me as well as watching everyone else....

once you start, you will be fine - as i've been told a million times...you've done the training, now go out and enjoy yourself....and make sure you give us a full report next week!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Thanks guys and gals... Was going to go off the radar and try and get away with not telling anyone but need to face the fear and really appreciate the support and advice. I will enjoy it I'm sure of it, just need to face the demons.

Thanks again everyone. Will probably see the back of a few of you on race day!

BRING IT ON!
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    I remember my 1st sprint tri last year.

I was so so worried as my training had consisted of cycling to work a couple of times a week and.... well, that's it!!!!

I thought average fitness could and would carry me through.... and it did.

I got out the pool shattered having stopped due to fatigue....... the moment I stood up out of the pool I knew 2 things.

1) I would finish

2) I'd do it again.

The buzz is something else. You could have done no training and finish... and you won't come last.... I nearly did... I was last in my age group but so what. I didn't care then. I wanted to finish and I did.

Now you have been training well, and your focused. I guarantee you won't be last. No way.

Go out there, be cool and you'll smash your training times.

• JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    I find the nerves are there no matter what level you are. but what I always so as soon as you go, and you take the first couple of strokes in the pool/lake then all the fears go away. It really does.
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    Me too - last year first one Eaton on the Sunday & absolutely terrified before I got in the water, until I got out... and so nearly had a panic attack, whilst floating on my back saying "I can do this...why am I doing this??.. I can do this..."... but so very pleased with myself when I'd finished the whole thing and my times weren't even too bad given that I had never swam (apart from poncing around in the sea) or ran (to the pub) before... go enjoy and don't worry about anyone else!!! Maybe see you there![:)]
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Flavadave,

All I will say is to damn well enjoy it as it will be over in a flash. You'll be pumped with adreneline at the end and will have big smile on your face when you finally say.... I am a triathlete

All the training that you've done will kick in and then you'll realise what you need to improve on. The transitions will become clearer in what you need to do.

Nerves are completely natural. In my first tri, I was so nervous it was unbelievable but use that your advantage not the disadvantage.

Make sure you've done a pre-race check on the bike and your transition box and lay everything out as you'll need.

Most importantly just make sure you enjoy it and the very best of luck.

Steven

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Keep switching between panic and excitement. Thanks again everyone for the encouragement, will definitely let you know how I get on.

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    In the imortap words of Douglas Adams "Dont Panice" I qutoe the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy.

Dave - You and Red Kev will be fine. I am sure you have trained enough to do an OD! Let what will be take the strain. If it all looks like its going wrong you cant do much to change it. I reckon and this is a Tri-virgins insight "If you have done the training, which you have. If you have read this forum which you have. And most of all if you have that undieing want to Tri then it will be alright on the night.

If I hear you being nervous again i am going to come down there and pee in your wetsuit!!!!!!

Serious mate you will be fine and I feel the force is strong in you!!!!! You can call me Oblinkyone Bazobe!
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    set yourself a personal target either a not drowning in the swim or a finish time that is sensible- I set mine as finish in 2hrs and lo did it in 1 hr 34 21 secs - rather than set it at a level that some people manage to do their 1st tri in - off course you may come back and tell us you did sub 1 hr in which case we will all hate you[:D]

AND enjoy yourself its very very addictive
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    I had the same feelings on my first tri. I had to attend on my own having never been to an event before, so I just went with the attitude of finishing.

When I arrived everyone said hello and chatted with me like they had known me years, made me feel a lot better.

I also thought had I done enough ??

Turns out yes, out of a field of 357ish I came in 132nd which made me more than happy, it also gave me the feeling that I would beat my time next year, and I couldn't wait for my next event (open water).

Good luck with the race - look forward to reading the race report next week

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    @flavadave - You'll be fine. You'll do tons better than you think. And even if you don't, we'll still love you.

Enjoy, good luck!
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    You'll be brilliant!

How could you be any different with us lot behind you?