Home Chat General Chat

so how long shall I leave it

shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
Put a few posts recently about the bad back scenario. Been pretty well resting over the past week and the back is feeling a good bit better, although not perfect.

Went for a gentle swim this morning and it was a bit stiff with a bit of pain but nothing to bad.

Looking outside and its lovely and I'm thinking that I should be on the bike but the better side of me is telling me not to. So how long do I leave it? I've got a tri on the 24th and I need to training. What effect will this week off have had? Is it even worth doing the tri?

I do feel ok but I'm wary that anytime it could go again.....

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Assuming that you have good base fitness,you could probably get away with slowly upping your swimming,aqua jogging for 20 mins after the swim session,and then after a few days of yoga/stretching try a bike ride.Your general fitness wouldn't suffer,only speed.Few years ago I did an Ironman,got v.sick,did nothing for a month just complete rest,and then did a Half Ironman at a relatively easy pace with no serious after effects.You just have to decide if its worth it in the long term,the races will always be there next year.
  • Shadowone

I am in almost exactly the same boat. As mentioned in your prior thread, I am currently experiencing some back pain. My first race is on the 24th and it is one of my A races. Haven't trained for a week. Have seen Osteopath yesterday who advised not to train today and then start with bike rides tomorrow. Start short and gradually build. He said that if I felt ok after a few miles then I should be ok to keep going. Not going to do too much tomorrow and then see how I feel Tuesday. He has advised that I dont run for at least another week though.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Thats what I thought about doing, I'm not training till Tues night at which point I will go for a decent bike run just to get the legs going again.

I'm just worried that I'll try and protect the back and my time will suffer, I suppose its best to take care of it as there will be other races. Its just frustrating though
  • Like you say, there are plenty of other races. I am going to use the 24th as a tester. I've got seven or eight other races this year, so I'd like to make it through to those as well.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    My A race will be London, but I've got another decent race on the 2oth June so I'll be using this race as a recovery if I'm struggling. I do feel fine now but give my history with back probs then I'm not taking anything for granted.