Home Chat General Chat

Overtraining

How do you know if your overtraining? I have been doing about 10-15 hours per week, mixing intensity and volume, so have a good variation.

Sometimes my legs feel heavey after a hard session for about 3 days, should i be training (easy) after 1 or 2 days on the bike or run? I doint really like taking the days completely off?

Comments

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    Although I'm no expert I don't think you're overtraining yet, i think the symptoms you have are fatigue, which would be normal for the amount of training you do. You do need to take rest days to give your body a chance to recover. I try to have one rest day a week, and train about 10/15 hours depending on my work, social arrangements, GAT avoidance etc. If you don't have any rest then you won't get to lock in the gains your training is making and you will end up overtraining. That said, hopefully someone else with more knowledge will offer something more helpful?

• sam_thebatmansam_thebatman Posts: 112
    Yeah, i maybe im just fatigued. I probably would be really suffering if i was overtrained i guess, physically and mentally.

Maybe il up my carb intake more, that might help too with recovery. I generally have one rest day, or very easy day and generaklly work on a run-bike-swim-brick-swim rotation. It just my legs still feel heavy after a few days rest
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Up your protein Sam..too many carbs can actually leave you feeling sluggish. Protein will help the body recover quicker.

Other overtraining signs to watch for are things like mood changes, lethargy, poor sleep, colds and muscle soreness.

I was on the cusp after my first race and took three days off. Keep your diet in tip-top shape and get plenty of sleep.
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    I've got more colds lately than I used to get and this has coincided with my most active year to date, training wise. I've thought that it may be a symptom of overtraining.

But my 6 and 3 year olds pick up everything at school, so, am I overtraining, or just a normal parent of young kids prone to colds? I think it's a bit of both: a tired parent of cold-prone kids.

• clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    I really struggle to sleep when im overtraining.
    So do you train when you are fatigued? I still can but legs do get tired quickly, especially if i do any hard intervals.
    Generally i do a few minutes cool down followed by some stretching (prob about 5 mins of stretching). Try and get some food down me as well shortly after. After a long cycle i pretty much always have choco milk of some sort.

Maybe my training sessions are intense too often. Last week was Monday (2500 metre swim- endurance), Tuesday (30 min technique swim and 40 mile cycle) Wednesday (1hr easy run) Thursday (morning swim intervals for 30 mins and 30 min afternoon upperbody weights) Friday (Rest) Saturday (70 mile cycle inc 1hr at race pace) Sunday (tecnique swim for 30 min in morning and 1hr modereate pacred run in afternoon).

Diet is usually

Breakfast- Porridge (wih cracked egg and peanut butter in it)

Snacks - Apple/bananna/organge/mixed nuts

Protien shake with milk around 11

Lunch - 1 Pita bread with some fish in it, plenty of cottage cheese and salad

Snack - Porridge (just with milk)

Dinner - Pasta with veg or salmon with veg (something like that)

Hows this sound.

Maybe i should be upping calories in?