Home Chat General Chat

Heron Lake tomorrow?

Anyone going to Heron Lake tomorrow?

My first tri is a week saturday and so far, I've put my wetsuit on once and not even got in the water with it yet.

I'm a pretty competent swimmer in a pool but this will be my first open water swim so a friendly forum face would be good to see!!

Comments

• OK. No need to take the p*ss. Competent is probably understating it a bit. But yes, it will be a shock to the system to swim in a big pond without lines on the bottom.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    I was in the same position until last weekend with a 7am session at Stubbers Lake (essex).

To be honest, after the first few minutes I thought "I can't do this" not helped by having my goggles on upside down and full of water, but after 20mins I was loving it. My feet were freezing got a few kicks and whacks, swallowed a fair amount of water but can't wait to get back in OW again.

You'll love it!
  • TBH Cone, its not so much the actual swimming, but the getting out of the wetsuit thing thats bothering me. The race is my Clubs, Sprint champs and I was hoping to do well. Unfortunately, with the back injury that I had recently, I have done absolutely no running in two weeks and have only just started cycling again. So the forecast for the race is not so good at the mo. Probably just going to use it as a tester to see how the body is holding up. But would like to know that I can get out of the wetsuit without flapping about like a penguin!
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Can I ... can I

Go on the training day and you'll learn how to get out of it in 20 seconds. [:D]

LOL - good luck for your race mate.

PS - anyone going to heron on Sunday - I fancy my 1st open water swim ( bit nervous) and need to have a dip in the new wetsuit

Kinda want to do it with someone - won't last very long, won't be fast and will probably freeze my nuts (and head and hands and feet) off very quickly so just want to get a feeling for what it's like.

Any takers ? ?

• JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    I'll be at Heron Lake at 6am tomorrow. What time are you going there?
  • Probably get there early, as I have to drive from Gatwick, so want to miss the M25 traffic. Will aim for 6ish.

Got anything distinctive that I might recognise?
    A white 220 Forum Buddies T-shirt[:)]
  • No worries. Haven't got one yet but I'll be the one pfaffing about trying to get the wetsuit on. I'll wear a bright orange hoodie so you cant miss me!!
  • willieverfinish,

Unfortunately I cant go to the training days as I'm working on the 17th and then I'm doing some stupidly long distance bike ride on the 21st June. I blame Conehead!!!
    Cool. See you there.
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    oh man to swim or not to swim tomorrow............well i wont have a car at the weekend as i've got to take my current hire car back.......hell why not!

Has anyone else noticed how wetsuit bootie things just fill up with water and are just plain warm....no wait was that water..........