Home Chat General Chat

Entry level bike choice help!

Please help i have £400 to spend ideally but boardman not much more???

2nd hand

Airlite300

Boardman roadbike comp 09

Carrera Vanquish Road 08

Muddyfoc milano triathlon

i'm a newbie and need some expert advice

Thanks

Comments

• rmbrmb Posts: 22
    i have just got a boardman myself and for the money i dont think any thing else comes close. realy nice ride as well
  • sam_thebatmansam_thebatman Posts: 112
    Yeah, the boardman definately. I really like the look of that bike and for the money you wont get anything better, though i thought they were more than £450
  • garydee77garydee77 Posts: 63
    I thought I seen the Boardman in Halfords priced at £999??

Unless theres a cheaper model?

GD
  • jamewahjamewah Posts: 113
    I bought a Boardman Team 08 model in February 09 for a super knockdown price and I absolutely love it !

It rides & handles superb with an Awesome Spec.

If you can get a second hander for around that price I would certainly recomend it !

Had a Giant OCR before that & it felt like going from Vauxhall to a Mercedes (nothing against Vauxhall cars)
  • jamewahjamewah Posts: 113
    garydee77 wrote:

I thought I seen the Boardman in Halfords priced at £999??

Unless theres a cheaper model?

GD

Yeah there are different models, comp, team, pro & carbon.

Comp being the lowest spec (but still a great spec!)

I'm looking to upgrade to a carbon 09 next year and have the team as my training bike
  • jjleonardjjleonard Posts: 16
    funny that - I've looked on the Halfrauds site and the Comp SC is the only one hovering around the £500 mark - and they are single speed fixed bikes. The Comp range, starting at £650, is the cheapest 'geared' one.

• just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    It also looks like they biggest size they do is a 57/58cm frame ....
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    didn't an entry level boardman get very very good reviews ion one of last months tri mags?

something like amazing value for money wrt spec?

didds

• jthetjthet Posts: 45
    I'm in my first season and wanted an entry bike that enabled training, events and some more general riding around all rolled into one Bought a Giant Defy 4 as part of a TriUK starter package in January and have never looked back - it got me through a Half IM, I commute daily on it and train on it about 5 times a week.

Only issue I had was a very long stem that was easily replaced but I have found it very comfortable, especially after I added some clip on Tribars and had it professionally fitted. And the frame is fundamentally the same as a Defy 1 so there is some bang for the buck if you want to replace and upgrade . I will probably upgrade to a full carbon turbo nutter monster at some stage, but, to be honest, thats probably because I'm starting to believe the hype when I should be concentrating on "the engine".

But as a "give the sport a try and still have a bike that doesn't live in the back of the garage if you don't" I cannot recommend it anymore highly. I certainly will be using it with no embarrassment or qualms for the rest of the season and be doing most of my training and commuting on it for a few years yet, even when I take the black carbon, bank balance emptying leap.

Oh, and I think it actually looks quite cool....

Triathlon Plus Magazine loved it for the price:

http://www.wheelworxbikes.com/wwx/article.php?story=2009040910051736

JtheT

[image]local://3132/4A73805B19494819AD29A6674E4F91DD.jpg[/image]