Home Chat General Chat

Tips for open water swimming

Hi there i know some of these have been mentioned in recent posts but i thought i'd put up some tips that have helped me brave the open sea!

1. wear 2 hats it helps stop brain freeze

2.always swim with a partner

3.if there are no changing rooms/showers for after swim bring warm and easy to get into clothes for after.

4.if you get stung by jellyfish stay in the water it will soothe the singing and won't be to bad when u get out (or so i found)

5.wear two wetsuits to brave the cold (i have not tried this but a club mate did and was able to swim with the two suits on)

Please add more to this.

Happy swimming[:D]

Comments

• julesojuleso Posts: 279
    First thing when you're in the water, open the neck of your suit and let some water in, so it can warm up. Then put your face in (especially your forehead).

Pull your hat down close to your eyes! This can help with the ice-cream-head feeling.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Sea swimming....

Find someone with a sea kayak or SUP board to accompany you. you can have a rest if you get tired!

Check tides/wind/surf report-you do NOT want to go out in a big swell with howling onshores! (not that you'll get out anyway)

Keep making a note of landmarks and check your location often.

Wear a bright hat, maybe even two!

If you get stuck in a rip try not to panic, it's pointless. a rip is just water rearranging itself, just swim towards breaking waves, you'll be fine.

Wear a wetsuit according to the conditions. maybe hiring an appropriate one for the time of year is better than wearing two!? only a few quid.

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Plenty of lube around the neck!

After my first OW session it looks like I've burnt the back of my neck, both painful and unsightly. You just can't put too much on.
  • Lube your neck! lube your neck!

I can't wear my hair up this week at work thanks to the great sores my wetsuit gave me. It is nicely scabbing over now. Not looking forward to Thursday morning lake swim!
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    good post....lube your neck with what exactly???
  • stratoTomstratoTom Posts: 36
    Probably bodyglide or similar specific lube. NOT Vaseline though!! Apparently this will eat the wetsuit.

- Tom
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    It never gets mentioned along with the wetsuit, but I take it a swim cap is a good idea to avoid a cold head? Am planning to give OW a try at the weekend and just realised I don't have a cap.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    try not to drink too much of it - plenty of crap from local animals floating around ... especially ducks and swans .... bloody swans

Also watch out for low flying ducks and swans .... especially swans they take you by suprise.

• JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Mine would be:-

1. Wear ear plugs (I have speedo), they stop the dizzy feeling when you get out of the water. The jelly legs.

2. About 100 metres from finish, kick your legs hard to get the blood pumping back up to your head. Being flat for half an hour blood goes down to feet. Something like that
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    When racing "sighting" is very important, just following the bubbles from the swimmer in front is not always a good move as they may not be swimming straight.

Pick an easy to spot focus point (turn bouy, large tree etc...) on the horizon and every now and then raise your head up and check your direction. I breath every forth stroke and I sight every 3 sets of four. Sounds complex but try this in the pool and you'll find a good rythem that suits you.

I remember one year doing Brighton Triathlon (VERY choppy sea swim!!) and I was neglecting my sighting and I wound up next to the peir, about 250m off course!! Not good.......
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Ask the person in front of you what their target time is. If they are slower than you, try to get round them before the start - otherwise you'll end up boxed in and in a big fight.

If they are a little bit faster, try and get on their toes for a bit of a speed boost.

Easier said than done, but worth a shot. I reckon there are plenty of pros who only go obsenly fast cos they swim behind Stannard et al.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Practise getting your wetsuit off as quickly as possible every time you get out of a lake. That way come race time you'll be ready!!