Home Chat General Chat

Is breastroke a sin?

Swimming breastroke is ok for getting your bearings or catching your breath but FC is what you should concentrate on.

Breastroke is only considered a "sin" by other triathletes because the last thing you need when tonking down the lake in full FC mode is some TW@ kicking you in the face with breastroke legs..........very unpleasent.

Perservere with FC and you'll soon see your swim fitness pick up. I found doing hard interval sets was what improved my swim fitness the most.

Comments

• gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I was wondering if doing breastroke in triathlons is a sin?

I've been told I need to 'commit to crawl' and have been training in this stroke, and currently doing 400m in about 8 mins, with 18 strokes per length (25m), which is fine for SUpersprints, but after 4-500m I'm exhausted. However, when doing breastroke I recently swam in excess of 5 miles (320 lengths), and can keep up with most 'swim clowns' doing crawl, and passed other swimmers in recent events.

Question is, will it bit shunned upon to swim breastroke in longer events? Or should I stick with what I am most confident with?

• gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I will persevere with FC, but just concerned that if I couldn't do the distance, then I would have to revert to BS to finish.
  • han382han382 Posts: 80
    I had exactly the same issue-years of doing breast stroke as it was in my comfort zone got me pretty quick at it. What you must also take into consideration though is that breast stroke mainly uses your legs for propulsion, whilst crawl uses your arms and so keeps your legs nice and fresh (relatively) for the bike and run. This is more important for longer distances-hence you want see many Ironmen using breast stroke!
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Breasttroke is fine if it gets you on the start line. It's much slower though, so your overall time will be affected. Also, make sure you start at the back as you will end up getting swum over otherwise - not fun.
  • meakiemeakie Posts: 124
    Breast stroke also isnt v good for the bouyancy side of things when doing open water and wearing a wetsuit.. so front crawl is favoured in that respect.

just my 2 penneth
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    I remember my first OW swim and tri very cleary indeed and did infact spend most of it on my back or doing the Breast stroke!! Now though, and a year later I can finally complete the distance doing the crawl...perseverance & technique helps...I went to SFT and had my technique analysed under water and it has helped!! Keep going....[:)]
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    In short, breaststroke is a sin if you are doing it in the fast lane. In which case, GET OUT! lol [;)]
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    joolzd wrote:

I remember my first OW swim and tri very cleary indeed and did infact spend most of it on my back or doing the Breast stroke!!  Now though, and a year later I can finally complete the distance doing the crawl...perseverance & technique helps...I went to SFT and had my technique analysed under water and it has helped!!  Keep going....[:)]

this is interestting, i've got my first tri in june and the swim in OW is what i'm most worried about, i'm doing ok with FC but i'm not fast and plan to have a bit of coaching...when training i often do BS to catch my breath and i have a friend who has done some tri's who says' dont be afraid to do it....so i'd say its fine....BUT i heard going on your back is a def no no cause lying on your back with your hand in the air means you need help....so no back stroke...lol...that true??? cause i could do miles and mile in back stroke....
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    You are right, backstroke is not allowed in OW swimming. As you correctly state, if you need help you are instructed to roll onto your back and raise your arm, as this is to similar to backstroke the stroke is banned.

However, I have swum backstroke in OW before (in the sea) it's very strange as you have absolutely no idea where you're going and how far you've gone......