Home Chat General Chat

Should you train tired?

Good afternoon campers.....

....question is simple. Should you train when tired? I don't mean tired as in 'trained hard all week' tired. I mean tired as in 'got up at 4:15am, drove 9 hours to newcastle and back' tired. So its not that my body (muscles and stuff) are tired......its just me! If you know what i mean.

Anyway, to train? Or not to train?

P.S. If yes then it'll be an hour on the turbo doing intervals.

would appreciate your experience and advice [:D]

Comments

• training tired and training with a hangover cant be that different. Id say go for it!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Gaz

If you are tired due to sleep issues then I would of thought training would be ok! If you start to get more tired on the turbo then stop as you may fall off.

It is definately an iteresting question and one I have considered myself. I sometimes perform much better when I and tured and cant be bothered. Sometimes you just have to push that bit harder!

To conclude, I cant see it being an issue but I bet you sleep well tonight!
  • abrewerabrewer Posts: 41
    Someone told me once that..... you should always start the session and then depending on how you feel either continue as planned - cut it short or just abandon it.

Can't remember the exact process for each though - probably came from Joe Friels training bible if that helps....
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    the run lasted 2mins...

[:D]

• BmanBman Posts: 442
    As ever, I think the man with the cone-shaped head has nailed it. The main struggle is getting yourself to start. I dunno how many times Ive wandered into the gym, done a few situps, thought "blow this" and left. But on the few occasions you do stick it out, its worth it and you end up being quite chuffed that you did. So go for it!
    Will be on the turbo in less than 3 minutes.

Thanks
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    last year I was down for a hard bike session but really didn't want to go as i just felt...well...tired!

So, following the advice of Joe Friel ("give it five minutes and if you still don't want to carry on, stop. today was just not your day, leave it til tomorrow") I got on my bike. five minutes down the road and i was hating it. stubbornness carried me a further five miles, after which point i pulled over and burst in to tears.

I have since learned to listen to my body and although she is capable of a fair bit, she also appreciates a good old fashioned rest!!

What is your body saying to you, Gary?!
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    working shifts i have this issue frequently!

I find my best training sessions are on days when i feel tired, you just kind of switch off and crack on with it!
    What is your body saying to you, Gary?!

Well, mostly it says things like, "stop feeding me choc chip cookies and lager"

but seriously, i think i just need to look after myself more, better food and more sleep would be a great start - honestly, i think right, but do wrong :(

I've just done 45 mins on the turbo, not great but not bad, i'll have a better day tomorrow - speed and hill intervals on the treadmill....
  • steve785steve785 Posts: 52
    might sound sad but if i cant be bothered i watch trithlon/ironman that i have sky+ it motivates me in a wierd way good luck[8|]
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    got up at 4:15am, drove 9 hours to newcastle and back' tired.

Yes! There are two types of tired. Tired from the above, and tired from training/physical exertion. You are feeling a "dead" sort of tired - where the body has done nothing - except got up early, and been dragged around by your mind for a bit.

What I find is a short sharp anything that gets the heart rate going will make you feel rejuvenated. And then ready for a nice refreshing sleep a bit later. 20 minutes LT workout would be ideal. Go to the gym, set the treadmill (after a 5 or 10 mins of warm up) to 2.5% incline, 8 miles per hour. Then set it for 20 minutes and have a run! (I'm guessing a bit on your VDOT - but you can look this up in your copy of JD!). And off you go. A few weights - core and stretches. And it will feel like you are alive again.
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    You are feeling a "dead" sort of tired - where the body has done nothing - except got up early, and been dragged around by your mind for a bit.

I love that! When I'm tired and don't want to cook dinner I can say to the kids 'look, I've been dragged around by my mind ALL day so YOU cook dinner!'

Cue CPT333.............
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    shattered from work = get me somewhere to train NNNNOOOOOWWWW - previously would have curled up on sofa - but feel so much better if I make the effort and sometimes surprise myself - 72 continous lengths last night (20m) pool ALL crawl after 200miles of driving, up at oh g*d of clock and 2 presentations- however when the body goes 'you have to be kidding' I'm starting to learn that better to stop than hurt myself
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    Am always knackered...work...noisey, elephant footed neighbours, social life to keep up with & training...(no children though or partners but reckon neighbours make up for that!) however I do always, always feel so much better once I've had a training session....I might collapse into bed slightly earlier than normal, but it does make me feel pretty good....if only in the mind!!
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    I did my longest ever run on Sunday, an easy pace 2 hours 50 mins (previous longest was 1:40 Half Marathon 15 months ago!). I reckon 18+ miles.

Rest day Monday.

I did my longest ever swim last night - 44 lengths of Hampstead Lido (60m) = 2640m.

Needless to say I was tired all day today.

The answer?

Late afternoon 10 min jog, 5 x 1,000m at 3:58 even per set, 10 minute jog home.

Feel great now.
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    It's the difference between really being tired, and just the 'I couldn't be bothered' kinda tired. Most of the time it's the latter, and as soon as you get your arse up and get started, you forget about it and get on with training.
  • WoolyWooly Posts: 63
    Have to agree with most people here, if your legs hurt, take it easy and listen to your body. if you CBA (Can't Be Arsed) then it's a case of "manning up" and putting in the miles/lengths.

Beats coffee every time!!
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Ahhh, Wooly, I see you have changed your profile picture to your performance pic from TTT ..... how is the bike purchase going, have you convinced the WAT officer after your convincing bike time or is she still of the opinion you are already fast why bother with a new bike?