Home Chat General Chat

Acceleration runs

Hi all,

As a newbie to triathlon I have been reading this forum for a number of months picking up tips as I go and trying to implement what I learn into my own training... Therefore having just come across acceleration runs I thought I would pass on this training technique as it has drastically improved my 10km speed over a relitively short period (approx 2 months)!!!

Apologies if I am teaching you all how to suck eggs but the general principle is you set a duration for the workout, i.e. 55mins - then you go out on a flat running route and run the first mile at a gentle jog pace. After each mile elapses, drop 20secs off the next mile, i.e. Mile 1 = 9min/m Mile 2 = 8.40min/m etc - continue this throughout the workout until the final mile is approximately your 5km pace - this mile should be pretty uncomfortable...

Give this a go and let me know if you see any improvements over the next 2 months in your running times.....

I hope this is of use to someone!!

Dave

Comments

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    Hi Dave, I remember from a runnersworld article, that that is a similar principle to how the kenyans train for marathon distance, although on a 20 mile run you can't drop that much but they do up it all the way until they are at race pace, and even above in the last mile. Seems to work pretty well for them. They call it something different which I can't remember at the moment - i may have a search and see as the article explains the technique and the benefits in a more detail...
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    progression runs i think they called it...here's the link

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?uan=3577