Home Chat General Chat

Training "transferability"

PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
I'm following a (kind of) disciplined weekly programme for first time ever, well for the run at least.

A prescribed interval run set, a prescribed tempo set and a prescribed long run.

I do a once weekly swimming "boot camp" plus 2 or 3 other 25 minute swims in the mornings if i have time. The boot camp involves just whacking out easy lengths, 4x or 5x 300m race pace sets and some 60m sprint intervals.

However, I can really only find the time for one decent bike session a week (60 minutes of Regents Park laps), and maybe one spin class a week if I can make it.

The intervals are for VO2 max, the tempo sessions for LT and the easy sessions for general endurance.

Here's my question: by dropping my weekly long run for a long bike (so I do one of each fortnightly) am I achieving the same goal?

And, if I don't feel I have the legs for a tempo run, does my 60-70 minute race pace cycle achieve the same LT raising effect?

I'm not sure if I made my goal clear: I'm struggling to fit in decent cycling if I keep to my rigid run schedule. My main goal this year is Dublin marathon in Oct, but I also REALLY want to break 2:30 for first time in my 2 OD races in July. Suggestions towards an amended schedule appreciated.

Comments

• PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    Thanks.

I'm trying to figure out if the goals conflict or complement each other.

I think you're right thought. The run and swim parts are probably fine, the bike training is too infrequent.

I guess some morning swims followed by evening runs & bikes are coming up.
    Thanks. I think Hillingdon is my nearest. Yikes, always been a bit scared of "proper" cyclists.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    TT's then Conehead - what's the score with them ?

Turn up and pay and race ?

What's a good pace for a 10 miler ? I'd be worried I'd take forever - I do 10 miles on way to work and do that in 30 mins so how much faster do I have to go not to look a cock.

Oh and do you have to have a TT bike ?

Or would I look like a complete knobber on my road bike?

Will T's really improve the bike leg on an OD triathlon ?

So many questions....
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    willieverfinish wrote:

TT's then Conehead - what's the score with them ?

Turn up and pay and race ?

What's a good pace for a 10 miler ? I'd be worried I'd take forever - I do 10 miles on way to work and do that in 30 mins so how much faster do I have to go not to look a cock.

Oh and do you have to have a TT bike ?

Or would I look like a complete knobber on my road bike?

Will T's really improve the bike leg on an OD triathlon ?

So many questions....

Good questions, I am interested to hear the replies. There are some 10 mile TTs near me starting up for the summer. Fear of looking like a nob is keeping me from going. I know this is odd given the lycra etc we all wear for tri!
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Can you cycle to work?

I have a 14 mile commute that i try to do twice a week. At least one journey i do down on the drops as fast as i can - not even thinking about the small cog. It seems to be working as i am getting noticably faster in what was very much my weakest event.

I dont know about the ones at your end - but the ones local to me require you to be a member of an affiliated cycling club.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    @willieverfinish:

TT's are funny beasts. There is a lot of back history - way back when, they were illegal (no racing on public roads), but the coppers would turn a blind eye if things were discrete. So black clothing, keeping inconspicious etc. A lot of this still permeates into the sport to do, and the rules are quite complex!

Checking out cycling time trials' web site for lots of details, but:

1) Most events are "closed" - you need to be in an affiliated (to CTT) club. This is for third party insurance purposes. So if you break a motorists car with your head, the promoting club is covered when they are sued.

2) The order in which people start is very carefully thought out - so that the chances of bunching up/drafting are reduced. This means that there is a complex entry form where you have to fill in lots of previous times so that the race can be order correctly. This also means that you have to enter will in advance - no entries on the day.

3) It is considered polite to let the organisers know if you don't start or finish (so that people don't head off to the mortuary looking for you).

4) You must wear the right sort of clothing - i.e. a club jumper, no adverts/sponsors except for the making of the garment's logo, and any official club sponsors.

5) Courses are all carefully measured and set - TT is all about records, PBs etc.

However, there are also "Open" events which are more relaxed turn up and ride, type events. Not sure why these can go ahead with all the worries about public liability, but ho hum. You can usually wear what you want. You can find out about this by enquiring at your local club, or your LBS. They are usually held in the evening midweek, once the days are light enough (about now!). Of course, the courses may not be official, and records etc. won't count. "Proper" events are mostly at the weekends.

Check the rules before hand, though!
    I can't cycle to work - I lost my job a while back. Gutted - I hated the job but loved cycling the 70 miles a week it involved!

I start another one in June though.

Did 25 mins in the Lido this morning and after a trip to Starbucks did a 60 minute trek around Regents Park, 7 laps in 1:00:18, 31kph average.

Not bad given the odd traffic light & stuff like that. RP is 15 mins from me so 90 mins in total on bike today.

Thanks Conehead!
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Cheers all, got me thinking now......

• jacjac Posts: 452
    With a bit of google work you can find the routes most TTs take.

I've got two pretty close to me and have ridden them - without the uberfit TTers!

I've done some ok times so am confident to go along to a 'proper' TT now. Might be worth looking out some close to you.