Home Chat General Chat

Need the loo when running

GGBGGB Posts: 482
Its No 2's am talking here ...

For the last couple of months every now and then on my training runs I get the clenched buttocks feeling and have to head home - (nothing other than a quicker need for the job).

I allways try to go before I run and this usually does the trick, I thought problem solved. Anyway tonight I go to the boys room in preperation and .... nothing - so off I go for my run and within the first mile there it ios .. clenched buttocks again and a sudden urge for No 2's .. so I continue my 7.5k run and make it back and straight upstairs ... feels much better now.

I havent had this in a race, albeit furthest I have run in a race is 8k and I dont get it on 3 hour bike rides.

My questions are :-

Am I alone in this or are other suffering too ?

Why is this happening ?

What can I do to stop it from happening ?

Comments

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    I got the need very very badly in a 5 mile race last summer... before mile 3 I was desperate. got stomach cramps between miles 3 and 4 quite amoot and had to stop... eventually made it through to the end, with a sprint finish, through the finish line, past the medals and presents and kept on going to the loo!

have it very occasionally on training runs... like you i always try and go beforehand... but it still catches me out occasionally.

didds

ps is that castle coombe in your avatar? Or is it that all race tracks look the same!

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    It's probably not much consolation, but my puppy is exactly the same. Within a couple of minutes from setting off on the walk, it's time for #2. A quick scoop, return to the start where the bins are, and we all set again.

I suspect the principles are the same - engage the core, other muscles, blood flowing, regular movement. A good time for the body to unload - away from the sleeping/resting area and don't want to carry too much surplus load.

It's the quality and frequency you want to worry about.. If it happens all the time, and isn't something you would happily pick up, then worry about diet, stress (IBS) etc. But generally speaking, it probably isn't that surprising. A higher fibre diet and getting into the empty of going regularly at the same time of the day - before setting out, might be a good thing (unless you are already stuffing porridge down you neck etc.). Try eating what Britspin does (minus the malt loaf) for a bit!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    It happens to everyone who runs, if you pardon the pun. Generally this happens more to newer runners as your body is a little in shock at what you are doing and the adrenaline etc seems to cause it to go into fight or flight mode, as you are running it takes the flight option and trieds to make you as light as possible by emptying yourself. If you haven't been running for long/frequently, then that is most likely what it is - if so, congratulations you are now a runner. If you've been running for a while at that pace and distance then i would think more about what else could be causing it stress etc as Jack suggested.

Oh to stop it, apart from going before you go, you can take an anti-diarrhea table, which works for some people, but bear in mind the longer term effect of that.
  • ahem...Warrior diet....ahem

Aside from that, do you eat dairy before you run? that used to cause me...issues

• ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    maybe try changing your nutrition strategy before you run. make it more carb based, than protein and fibre.

have the main meal either 2-3 hours before your run, i sometimes have a banana or bar about 50 mins before as well.

also look at your pacing. if you are going out too hard above your race pace, it may cause you to get stomach cramps followed by the inevitable - another benefit of trying to do negative splits!

otherwise a cork?
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    I used to get it at the 1h mark when training, but after a while of doing 1h runs every other day it went away - try pushing yourself less or possibly take a couple of jelly babies or something! [:)]
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Cheers for the replies :D ...

Its just a pain in the ass, pardon the pun ... its not like I get runners runs ... its just the need to go lol ...

I will try eating earlier, I usually do this anyway but sometimes its not practical and after a hard days work I need some food before I can go out on a run. I don't eat that much dairy product anyway so don't think its my diet.

• Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    See, if you were a woman you would ever need to do..ahem.. number twos. The female gender simply doesnt lower itself to that! Neither do we EVER pass wind, either in private or in public. That is why women have breasts-all that retained wind stores up inside us until it finds the weakest point, ie; the ribs and leaks out. It is then trapped by the skin and starts to bulge.....

Ergo, the bigger the boobs on a woman, the more distance you need to maintain just in case something has to give.....
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    Cheryl6162 ssssssshhhhh don't give all our secrets away[:D]
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Cheryl6162 wrote:

. That is why women have breasts-all that retained wind stores up inside us until it finds the weakest point, ie; the ribs and leaks out.

is that why babies fart so much? Cos they is taking all that booby wind ?

Is that why I have some very farty days then? [;)]

didds

• hhahahahahaha, love how you worked the inuendo on there man!
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    avoid dairy before runs(pun intended)....

i had a case of explosive diarrohea on a training run once.. Had to evacuate into a ditch and destroy some rabbits house.

Sorry about that Bugs.

IK

PS always bring tissue..

• gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    It does happen, even to the best of them, and all you can do is run through it!

[image]local://3179/7670F3789B954E58AC6917A89A3A0BD6.jpg[/image]
  • is that guy famous or is he just a random german?
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    And did he win ???
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    I think he just needed a little fart - but actually followed through!
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    mmmmmmm.....chocolate.............!!
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    It's nots uncommon - you just have to be prepared. Never go for a long run wihtout checking out the public conveniences or taking some loo paper.

If you check on the runner world website there's loads of stuff written about it ... but no magic cure!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=1538

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?UTN=690

You are not alone ... I've had a couple of near disatrous outings.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Cheers for the replies :D

Can I just point out though that my problem is not of the runny kind ... it just brings on the need for a solid one ;)

• stagglystaggly Posts: 8
    That picture has made my day! The look on the guys face, the disapproving look from the spectators behind - very funny.

One think which helped me when I had this problem is to avoid milk products. I found that if I had a big bowl of cereal with milk and a few coffees and teas during the day I got #2 knocking on the door during training runs.

Try and avoid any milk for 24-48 hours and see if it has any affect.