Home Chat General Chat

Flying with your bike...

danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
So I wanted to take my bike for a holiday this summer. She's been a good girl and deserves it. However, I am really confused on what will keep her safe without my spending 500 on a bullet proof bike vault.

I've seen people pack their bikes into a cardboard box with plenty of foam, but this scares me! Soft cases seem just as bad, but since I've never done this before, wanted to get some advice.

Thoughts?

Comments

• fatstufatstu Posts: 46
    Bulletproof box is by far the best option if you have the cash - but then it's cheap against the price of a new bike... They're really heavy in some cases though, so watch out for the excess baggage police...

I've used a soft case for mine a couple of times with LOTS of bubble wrap but I'm going to try a hard case next time round, the derailleur got bent the last time I used a soft case - cue emergency trip to LBS before race...
  • EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    I agree with conehead - i have a DHB and have taken my bike all over. never had a single problem - they are only 140 odd quid on wiggle.
  • 58fern58fern Posts: 9
    Stupid question perhaps but never having travelled with the bike by air is the DHB suitable for a TT bike ?
  • EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    i get my TT bike in one no problems as the seat comes out - a freind of mine has a scott plasma with a one piece seatpost and even though it is a bit tight he can still get it in. It does require some creative solutions however.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    I shelled out for a Scicon Aerotech, but you can pretty much chuck the bike in with track pump, wetsuit, blow up doll, kitchen sink and all your clothes and theres still room to spare.....
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    sbr sports hire them if you dont want to pay out too much!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    fatstu wrote:

Bulletproof box is by far the best option if you have the cash - but then it's cheap against the price of a new bike... They're really heavy in some cases though, so watch out for the excess baggage police...

I've used a soft case for mine a couple of times with LOTS of bubble wrap but I'm going to try a hard case next time round, the derailleur got bent the last time I used a soft case - cue emergency trip to LBS before race...

Check with the airline as to the cost per kilo for excess baggage,some are standard rates,i.e.£25 for first 10 kilos others charge the earth per kilo,the cheaper the airline the more expensive the charge,I am not saying that Ryanair are robbing thugs but..... .It may be cheaper to air freight it out earlier to the race venue,some races will take bikes early ,assemble them,and then re pack and send them home,for a charge.But freighting can work out cheaper particularly if you have the family luggage to contend with.

Bike boxes are like red rags to a bull,they have competitions with them to see how many suitcases can be piled on top before part of the box breaks off or bends.
  • starcherstarcher Posts: 126
    I've recently got back from Lanzarote with my bike in a soft bag with a hard bottom(the bags not mine)

inside the back i put a cardboard bike box i got from my lbs and a job lot of bubble wrap and pipe laggin .

Everything was good on the way out and the lanzarote ground crew seem to appreciate what youve got in the bag but Luton was a different story I saw the handlers chucking it in and out of the plane and putting it under a couple of big cases on the little trailer thing.

motto big strong box next time........

• pataallenpataallen Posts: 94
    I'm sure that BA still allow you to take a bike (in bag/box) at no extra cost; whilst they may be marginally more expensive that eazyjet or ryanair the cost balance out overall...and you get fed on the flight....and the staff are jolly nice!!! my return flights for garmin barcelona were around £80
  • HeweyHewey Posts: 8
    Yep, BA still carry one piece of "sporting equipment" on top of your normal allowance free of charge. I think you're limited to 32KG but that shouldn't be an issue for a pimpy tri-bike!
  • yes, BA are still taking - but the bike plus box has to weigh less than 23kg to be taken for free (between 23-32 kg there is a charge) and they also have a size restriction on boxes according to the website. I called BA and asked for it to be added to our booking that we are each bringing a bike, plus normal suitcases etc and they wanted to know size of box and weight, which we also provided. Hopefully should work and cut down on trouble at check-in, but we will find out soon as we are off to Mallorca.....

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagsport/public/en_gb