Home Chat General Chat

Wet weather TRIATHLON

BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
Hello Assembled Athletes.

I am about to embark on my first TRI this sunday in wellington Somerset and the weather is looking like heavy rain.

Can anyone give me some tips/advice on wet weather transtion and racing?

The course for the bike is called technical (i cycled it last week and they mean really hilly)!

Thanks in advance. Blinkybaz

Comments

• gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Bliknybaz, I did my 1st Tri a couple of weeks ago, and that was in the rain, cold and windy as well. Obvioulsy the usual laying out of kit in transition wasn't ideal, as it would have been wet by the time I got into T1. I therefore laid my kit out inside my kit box, and loosely placed the lid on top. I know it meant it took a few more seconds to remove the lid and get the kit out and on, but at least it was dry.

Enjoy!

• jacjac Posts: 452
    Grippy tyres! Gator skins are pretty good.

• MGMG Posts: 470
    I'm racing this weekend too, I think the whole UK is gonna get wet so theres no escape.

I'll take a lightweight jacket to throw on for the bike if its really bad, maybe some gloves. Also I'll be putting gaffer tape on the vents and mesh on my bike shoes to stop my feet from freezing.

If the course you are racing at is technical I wouldnt reccomend carbon wheels as the brakes will not function to well on carbon rims in wet conditions.

Make sure you have some warm dry clobber to put on after...........

...enjoy
  • Try training in scotland :|, its so bad that im going to post a thread if i ever do a dry triathlon
  • BBC have just updated their forcast for sunny intervals on Saturday (for Eton anyway).

I know they are not reliable but i'm being optimistic even though they predicted rain for the past week!

Its the being cold on the bike that will make me miserable and the fact that I'll be going extra slow trying to be careful on wet ground!

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Turn your transition box upside down - I didn't do that for my 1st tri and one of my trainers floated out of the box - putting heavy, wet and cold running shoes on is not a great feeling.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I was thinking of suckung it all in a black bun loner!

The race is some way from a carpark so will need to cycle and a box doent seem easy to carry and ride with!
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    I was thinking of suckung it all in a black bun loner!

Are you an 'officer of the looer....'??
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I have been cursed by the allo allo policeman. I do apologies!

I was thinking of sticking it all in a black bag to keep it dry! Will that do?
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Er... like I said - cheap plastic box and invert. It doesn't get easier than that.

I wouldn't want to be faffing about with a bin bag in transition

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    i'm marshalling saturday morning in the marlbourgh downs 33 mile challenge... not sure whjich is worse... standing around marshalling or running 33 miles in the ppuroing rain and high winds!

didds

• Scott WScott W Posts: 51
    Got myself a plastic box from B&Q just in case, got a flip top lid so i am thinking just layer stuff in there and grab it in T1 and T2, dont particularly want to put on sodden runners....

If it is freezing is it wimpy to put on a bike jacket (OMG not very aero [;)]) or should it be tri suit regardless and to hell with the consequences...would hide the gut too :-)

Scott W

PS its Eton Saturday, Wave 2, box has Scott W on it so say hi if you are there
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Generally anything goes. But the less kit you change the quicker the transtion is. Bike jacket would be nice, but takes time. Cycling warmer is better than cycling cold though.
  • nikkasnikkas Posts: 10
    If you have one the right size then a rectangular rubber car mat makes a decent box lid especially in emergency (oh and you've traveled by car!) - heavy enough not to blow in wind, water proof, no fiddling with stuck lid.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

Take some carrier bags too - there are plenty of events that won't let you put a box under your bike because of the amount of space they take up.

Get a good skin tight lycra t-shirt you can wear under a tri suit in the event of cold weather, but if it's a sprint you can probably put up with the wet and cold in May.