Home Chat General Chat

Lower leg pain when training but NOT in races???

Is the pain in the muscle or beside/on the bone?

What kind of pain is it?

Are the muscles tight?

Do you have any other pains with it?

Does it hurt more when you first start/stop than when warmed up?

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Here we go Gaz

1) do you stretch your shins before training? I mean porperly and after!

2)Is your training at a lower intensity than the race?

3)Are you changing between laces (lock laces to normal laces)?

4)Does my bum look big in this? (sorry wrong froum)

5)Are you sure its shin splints?

6) Have spoke to a doctor or physio?

7)Is the pain isolated to one spot or the whole muscle?

Its a lot of questions but to work it out you will need to be clear with us!!!
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Is the pain in the muscle or beside/on the bone?

i think its the tendons(or something like them) that run up the inside edge of the shin bone.

What kind of pain is it?

Its not ache, its sharp if i run on it and make it worse

Are the muscles tight?

Don't think so but to be honest wouldn't really know

Do you have any other pains with it?

No.

Does it hurt more when you first start/stop than when warmed up?

No. It hurts during
    1) do you stretch your shins before training? I mean porperly and after!

2)Is your training at a lower intensity than the race?

3)Are you changing between laces (lock laces to normal laces)?

4)Does my bum look big in this? (sorry wrong froum)

5)Are you sure its shin splints?

6) Have spoke to a doctor or physio?

7)Is the pain isolated to one spot or the whole muscle?

1. No!

2. Not always but definitely was this time

3. Am now yes......not until about three weeks back

4. No!

5. I don't know.

6. No.

7. Its in one area. Lower down towards the ankle is normally the case
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Gazza, how about after the races? Any lingering pain in the area? Just wondering if its the adrenaline of the races thats masking the pain.
    Exactly what it says on the tin.

I suffer from lower leg pain (shins - inside edge) when training - have sone for a while and its really getting me down. Just been out for a v.gentle 4k with my better half, and i mean gentle....and guess what.....pains are back. IT really is getting to be a serious concern.

THAT SAID..........

i have raced the last three weekends in a row, two sprints and a 10K. I never got so much as a twinge at any one of these events..............WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Ok the tendons that run down the bone can be pulled tight and if left unchecked can pull the bone 'off' I had this happen feel your shin where it hurts and see if there seems to be a lump of dent in the shin. If there is, then get to a physio as it is likely shin splints developing. If not then see if applying quite firm pressure (using a thumb is best for this) helps the pain any - it'll hurt at first but after 10-15 seconds of pressure it should start to ease, this apparently 'untangles' the fibres and relaxes them - or so said my physio, i think he may have been dumbing down for me.

The cure is lots of streching and could be caused (as in my case) by flat feet so lots of exercises to help strengthen the foot and ankle to stop it rolling so much and then to strengthen the calf and shin muscles plus applying regular pressure to the area.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    In my very unprofessional opinion its not shin splints as they hurt higher up the leg than your ankle. I would get to the Doc mate it sounds like you may need some professional help there. It might be the case that you could cause more damage. I dont want to worry you but I think if it aint getting better then something needs to be done!

There are more qualofyed peeps on here than me with this but thats my 2 pennce worth! Hope it helps Gary and go carefull dude!
    I agree with Baz, I had very similar pain in the exact area you describe, and only had it sorted when it was too late. Result= stress fracture= year off running. I was told its usually its from upping the training too quickly, which leaves the calves and ankles weak. So loads of calf and ankle stretching and strengthening is what i'd recommend.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    I'd be amazed if even Gary can stretch his bones!!!!!!!

Prey tell - how do you stretch shins ?

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Oh and I think it's a classic overuse injury mate.

The first 2 everyone know but the last 2 defo help too. Variation for the shin stretch: one leg kneeling with shin flat on carpet/bed/bench and foot extended backwards, lean backwards into the kneel. The muscles are used to lift the toes/foot up so aim is to stretch it down. This stretch should also help with the swimming kick, so you can flex your toes further back and get some kick action.

I'll let "coach Nicole" do the talking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&v=kv6ycmOWnq0&gl=GB
    Gazza, how about after the races? Any lingering pain in the area? Just wondering if its the adrenaline of the races thats masking the pain.

No lingering pain after races at all!
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Gary, I'll mention at this point that you need to GO TO A PHYSIO and also GO TO A PHYSIO or you're cruising for a stress fracture.....

Just thought I'd get that in. Again.

• OranjOranj Posts: 45
    Sounds like shin splints to me - take it easy or you'll end up properly injured - race-day adrenaline is getting you through at the moment, that's all.

Do you race in different shoes from the ones you train in? It's counter-intuitive, but sometimes race shoes have less cushioning and that means you're more conscious of taking lighter footsteps - you'd tend to take more of the footstrike shock with your achilles/calf muscles.

The softer cushioning in training running shoes can also allow your foot to over-pronate more, which hyper-extends those tendons on the inside of your shins. Stiffer, motion-control shoes can help this, but get your gait analysed by a physiotherapist first.
    Just thought I'd get that in. Again.

right, that's it, I'm goin'. Bridgetown cycles (LBS) have recommended a physio and i'm off to the doctors to get referred.

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Skip the training and just race!!!!!!

jon.E

class....pure class [;)]
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Well done Gary for facing your fear!
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Ditch the running for a bit.

Get in the gym and do lots of stretches plus things like calf raises, lunges, squats, basically things for quads, glutes, hamstrings etc. Swap the running workout for a rowing work out.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    garyroberts wrote:

jon.E

class....pure class [;)]

Thankyou.Hope it's not compartment syndrome.Do you do anything different when racing than training,different trainers,different laces,prior to the run you have done a swim causing your legs and toes to elongate and stretch,then bike again stretching the calves,unfortunately this theory is blown out of the water by you mentioning a 10k and having no discomfort.A professional will hopefully restore you back to health,an expert will restore you back to health and eliminate the cause to prevent it from recurring.Better to do too little than too much.All the best.