Home Chat General Chat

Bike

Is it ok to use a normal mountain bike cos it sounds like everyone uses these really cool bikes, and I just got mine from Halfords!!!!

Comments

• robsaundrobsaund Posts: 26
    Hi Buddy,

I'm a newbie too - training for my first event in September. I've only got a mountain bike too and am told that there are many others like us... I'll still be tieing my laces on my cycling shoes when others are half way around the circuit. All of these flying starts on the bike will save seconds, which at my level really isn't going to matter that much.

Swimming - cycling - running - do whatever it takes (legally) to get to the finish line, nobody will laugh - You're doing a triathlon which is a damn sight better than all of those couch potatoes sat in front of the footy on the idiot box. In your other posts you've mentioned swimming breaststroke, go for it, and transitions, search for other posts on this and on the tritalk forums - there's a wealth of info to be had regarding what/when etc... If you have entered a race, check the race info, they may also offer helpful advice.

For my first event I'm simply planning on completing it - no attempt to set any world records or anything fancy. As long as I've tried my best I'll be happy. Then I can train for the next one with times in mind.

Above all, enjoy it, it's a fun way to keep fit although I'm sure the IM and HIM element posting here may disagree with the enjoyment factor [;)]

Rob

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    hi kate ... i did my fist sprint tri on a mountain bike and loved it. The training I had put in seriously paid off letting me whoop past alot of those "really cool bikes" (as you called them). In fact if honest most of us will have started with a non-cool bike. It aint the bike that makes the speed its the engine. Then if you do really get into tri ..which we have no doubt you will then later invest in a tri / road bike as well as all the the other kit you will end up getting... another excuse for shopping ... its so good

madnurse
  • the_moidthe_moid Posts: 23
    madnurse wrote:

hi kate ... i did my fist sprint tri on a mountain bike and loved it. The training I had put in seriously paid off letting me whoop past alot of those "really cool bikes" (as you called them). In fact if honest most of us will have started with a non-cool bike. It aint the bike that makes the speed its the engine. Then if you do really get into tri ..which we have no doubt you will then later invest in a tri / road bike as well as all the the other kit you will end up getting... another excuse for shopping ... its so good

madnurse

like he says - i did my first on a mountain bike, and ironbridge on sunday had a lot of people on mountain bikes (some of whom went past me going up the big hill !)

Stu

• BuddyBuddy Posts: 20
    Ok great - no need to get a new bike then!!

Rob - what triathlon are you doing. I am going to Nantwich. Thought I would ask as mine is in September too
  • craig75craig75 Posts: 21
    Hi Kate,

I have only done two triathlons so far both on my road bike. You see plenty of people on mountain bikes though so don't worry.

If you fancy it next September - enter the Rough Track triathlon run by Human Race (www.humanrace.co.uk) Its a lake swim, moutain bike ride and then semi-cross country run. I am in training for that now.

If you do this on your mountain bike, then believe when (and not if) you get into it - you will find it a 'breeze' when you get on a road bike.

ps. I bought mine this year on ebay, worth over £1500 and I got it for £200 cos there are loads of people that just want the latest gear so you can pick up a bargain.

Give me a shout if you need any help and good luck.

C

[8D]
    Thanks Craig
  • rebborebbo Posts: 58
    Kate,

like everyone else, I used a mountain bike for my first tri, before trading up to a road bike. There are a couple of things you can do, though, to make it a lot quicker for not much money:

1) put slick (i.e. non-nobbly) tyres on it

2) get some clip-on aero bars to put on the front, so you're not sat up like a big sail

Tom
  • robsaundrobsaund Posts: 26

I've entered the novice event in the cotswold triathlon near Cirencester (It's local!) - wish I'd entered the Sprint event but bottled it on the grounds that I didn't want to get crushed in the first stampeded into the water. Watch and learn this time...

... Next time however [;)]

Good luck with Nantwich

Rob

• loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    yeah the slick tyre plan is a good move (should cost about 20->30quid for the pair) and even if you can't get hold of tri bars you can always tweek the handlebars and saddle position to make you a little more aero dynamic...

Me and madnurse are entering nantwich as a part of a relay team - I think it is the same course as madnurse did his first tri on in June and as he mentioned he did that on a MTB..

phil .. u still up for the relay...

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Thats really rubbish. Had a nice long post and the server crashed and lost it.

In short slicks good.

Aero's good.

Also sort out position on the bike (ie saddle height to optise pedal stroke)

Oh and look at clips. (Avoid full cages that cover the whole front of the foot, dangeropus in my opionin and experience)

All the best

Bonus!
    Loon Loon Loon !!!!! how do ... yeh am up for a run .... rude not too..... however I have a cunning scheme ... Mrs Mad Vs Mrs Loon during the same event doing the fun sprint as their 1st tri .... no mad times just as a means of shutting us up to say they can do it ... Mrs Mad has agreed ... I think is an warped way of getting me to spend money on "much" needed kit for her .... chew it over and then breach it with ya better half ....

the gauntlet is down !! (so to speak) in a nice way - I said would buy mine a meal and a bottle champagne if she finishes

madnurse [:D]
    Good man...

alas mrs loon can't do it or at least doesn't want to the week after is her busiest of the year at work..

she is probably gonna do the warwick one the week before when you are up helvellyn

Mrs Loon was even bidding a trisuit on ebay

Nurse an update...mrs loon has a trisuit which is one more that mr loon...now all she needs to do is be allowed to where her own mr loon modified swim cap at the events (I may have to produce a range of colours) and she is sorted
    be grateful for her support ... unless you think she might pose a direct threat and beat you in a race .... eeek !!!!

the swim cap is the least of your worries mate .. she will be after your new bike .........

pandoras box !!
  • fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    kate (buddy) don't even consider what other people think of your bike, you're out there doing it and anyone with any sense will respect that whether you are on a mountain bike from halfords or a tour de france time trial bike, sure there is some bike snobbery amongst a very few, until last year i had a bike which i used to go to school on, it was over 20 years old!!! ( so i'm old and fat) the brakes fell off coming down a hill once.

i must admit i have bought a nice shiny new one but it's not important. just do the training, feel fit and good about yourself and enjoy the day. i'm thinking of having a go at that race too and it seem s there's a few there so we'll have to meet up for a bottle of lukozade and an energy bar.

Loony, quite a few of the club i occassionally train with are doing the warwick tri too, i have a little (friendly) grudge race with one of them, i can take a minute of the swim and maybe 30 seconds ish onj the bike but then he can get that back on the run so it should be interesting, we're going to ask the organiser to start us together to make it a proper race,

see you soon

fatmatt
    That sounds like a plan - I'll be the one with the crap bike - only joking!!!!
    Nurse - if she is after my bike then I will have to get a new one ;) worryingly we are about the same height so the bike will probably fit her...

Matt...sounds like a good idea...wasn't gonna enter anymore this year after london but I can't not do it if Mrs Loon does it...you swimming tonight?

• Hi Kate,

Did my first Tri at Eton in June on my old hybrid - loads of people in the novice race just riding whatever they have! This is one sport where it really is the taking part that draws everyone together.

From my experience would really practise T1, thats where I lost almost 4 mins!

Is it the Cotswold tri in Sept you are going to?
    Hi AB, no I am doing the one in Nantwich.

Most of the advice I have had off here has been to just enjoy my first one, and then once I am addicted, then I can worry about my times and equipment etc. Luckily I am swimming in the open air pool, but I'm worried I may end up biking it in my cossie!!!
    Buddy wrote:

and i'll be the fat b*****d!!!!
    Buddy wrote:

and i'll be the fat b*****d!!!

loony,

couldn't make swimming due to work, nor next week, but had a dip this afternoon instead.

catch up with you in a couple of weeks

matt
    now worries matt see you in a couple of weeks.