Home Chat General Chat

Bike Nemesis

md6md6 Posts: 969
I seem to have found my version of the infamous swim nemesis, but on a bike...

Coming home from work today thinking i was going at a reasonable speed, and out of nowhere a guy flies past me on what can only be described as a bit of an old beater, he was flying and getting faster. not being one to ignore this i tried to speed up and catch him - or at least not fall back so fast. And all that happened was i started blowing out my arse and he dissapeared into the distance. I managed to catch him when he stopped at lights, and rolled past half dead. within a few seconds he flew past again, but this time i didn't have the heart to try and chase him and just kept my own pace. I managed to keep him in sight for the next 3 miles (due to the traffic) but couldn't even get close again. I really need to work on my bike leg i think.

Just out of interest am I really slow on my commute - 8.5 miles in about 33 - 35 mins? This isn't pushing very hard and includes Central London traffic.

Comments

• j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    I don't believe that is a slow pace, I do the same distance as that in about the same time, through central london too.
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    It's really hard on roads with lights and roundabouts - I beat my record this week - 7 miles exactly in 17:32. But the lights were kind - my normal everyday time is about 22mins!

I'm glad to say I'm the one passing people on my route in! [;)]
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Graham, that is superfast (well to me) you weren't the one who rode past me this evening were you? It's hard to tell from your photo - i only got the oposite view...[:)]

j27rt, thanks, that makes me feel better about my time.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    I do 10.32 miles in about 30 mins..... but don;t be fooled by the old boys hammering past you. Years of experience on their winter hacks.

My uncle in law is 70 and I guarantee he'd spank most of you lot on your bikes. It really is quite amazing.

Don't compare yourself to others - as long as your seeing improvements in your fitness and times then that what counts.

To put this into perspective - I did 25 lengths of my pool today and was happy at the slight improvements I have made over the past 2 weeks.

Went back to the pool this afternoon with my daughter and a 14 year old lad hammered out 50 lengths after school and got out looking as fresh as a daisy!!!!!!!! Envious me.... never

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    willieverfinish wrote:
    My uncle in law is 70 and I guarantee he'd spank most of you lot on your bikes. It really is quite amazing.

My Dad could do 25 miles in 64 minutes when he was in is early fifties. And that wasn't exceptional - never really won anything! 30 years previously he would do it in about 64 minutes. He is 80 now - and a bit slower[:)]

I suspect with advances in technology, the 64 minutes would be a bit lower if done today.
  • Dont feel bad, I take the same view as when I'm running, Unless its a straight race over the same distance you cant compare. The guy hacking past may have only jumped on his bike round the corner after resting all day where as you have a few miles in your legs already and have had a hard training week! (I assume!)

The only answer is to hire a velodrome and challenge him/ Find where he parks his bike and grit the chain
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    I do a 11.5 mile commute every day and depending on traffic it takes me anything from 35:44 (PB) to 45 minutes. It depends on traffic, traffic lights, weather, training I have done that day or week, etc. What is most important to me is that the same journey took me 52 minutes in October ..... When I see somebody fly past, I just think that I have a new PB to work towars to!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Chances are that if someone goes flying past you,they are a cyclist,training for cycling,whereas you train for three disciplines,they may spank your arse on a club 10 mile tt or club run,but put them in a triathlon race and you would probably be tucked up at home with a nice glass of whatever by the time they finish.It''s all perspective.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Cheers all, I am going to assume that he was clearly a cyclist (as Jon said) and leave the realisation that most triathletes will do the same to me until my first tri, which is now only 2 weeks 2 days away. I can not wait!
  • scott_burrowsscott_burrows Posts: 381
    I was plodding along to work the other day.. I was doing the ‘keeping my HR below 75%’ when a lady cyclist on a hybrid came past me, she just looked at me on my road bike and smiles, laughs and cycled off past me...

I’m looking forward to seeing her on a speed day!!! Grrr.. just the thought if it raised my HR!!!
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Scott - I had a grandma cycling next to me on a ladies bike, when we came towards a London bus squeezing through Kings Road, she looked over and said 'after you' - I replied to her that this might just not be a good moment to overtake .... she just shook her head and said 'no guts' and made the crazy move!

No idea how she got to be so old!