Home Chat General Chat

Running - coping with boredom or losing concentration?

JulesJules Posts: 987
I'm running a half marathon on Sunday. When I've done it before I've listened to music doing it. On Sunday I've decided not to bother with any music as I won't be allowed to listen to any for triathlons, so I might as well get used to it.

I'm concerned my mind will start to wander and without meaning to I'll slow down.

Any tips to avoid this and keep my mind (and legs) "on the job"?

Comments

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    I read somewhere that Haile Gabresellassie (sp?) has 'Scatman' in his head when he races to keep his legs pumping at the right speed.

reckon mine's more 'chariots of fire' ......slo mo......
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    "bee-bap-bap-badda-bo....."
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I tend to find that I settle into my groove and then my body takes over, that lets me keep going at the right pace - then i let my mind wonder and let me think about anything or nothingmy body knows what pace to go at and it keeps me going. I find that running with music is more distracting.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Try thinking of an MP who doesn't fiddle their expenses..that should take up a couple of hours at least.

G
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    I like your thinking GHarv! Anger and frustration can get one a long way!!

However I train without an ipod most of the time even in the gym as it's helps with my mental focus & really challenges my mind & therefore body...(can too easily be distracted by day dreaming about sandy beaches, and long summer nights whilst sipping on a moquito or two & being whisked away by a tall dark handsome man.....& no, not one in a wetsuit!![;)]) ... so I'm all for no ipod, the mind is a very powerful tool and is good to listen to although it can be very difficult & hard work at first, but once you get into your own rhythm & thoughts well worth it!![:D]
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Think of the feeling of finishing the race ... then think you want to finish it quicker - then run quicker and think of finishing the race, then think you want to run quicker - then run quicker .... ... ... . etc ... think of what you have promised yourself at the end of the day ... i.e a beer :D .. run quicker -

There are plenty of things that motivate people and this is the time IMO that you should think these things.

Having said that I nearly finished my recent duathlon early due to exhaustion and frustration - but I kep't thinking I MUST finish - this eventually got me through it. The mind can do strange things to you.

• PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    Jesster wrote:

I read somewhere that Haile Gabresellassie (sp?) has 'Scatman' in his head when he races to keep his legs pumping at the right speed.

I ran a 10 miler recently with Yeah Yeah Yeah's "Heads Will Roll" like an earworm in my brain. Perfect tempo for a tempo run...check it out on youtube. It'd be a good one for a spinning class I reckon.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    During race you won't get bored. Find someone of your tempo, play some games along the way. Speed up, see if he/she follows, let them take over or drop 'emand pick up the next one, etc etc.

Try to run it tactical and you'll get advantadge out of each other and time flies by.

The races will be too short!!!

• fatstufatstu Posts: 46
    Welcome back Benny!! Have you been hiding somewhere with Treefrog? You had both dropped off the face of the earth but now you're back. Normal service resumed...
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    It's too late but...!

Have a detail race plan - where you want to be, time-wise, at each mile. As you try to reach the targets, that keeps you focused.

If you can go over the route first - car or bike - that helps. You can work out where hills are, and how you are going to tackle them etc. etc.

You can break down the race into smaller chunks - e.g. a 10K, followed by a 5K, etc. etc. and run those - that can help overcome the boredom - just breaking it into smaller chunks.

Hope it went well and that you didn't get too bored!
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Jack Hughes wrote:

It's too late but...!

Have a detail race plan - where you want to be, time-wise, at each mile. As you try to reach the targets, that keeps you focused.

This is basically what I ended up doing, it worked rather well.