Home Chat General Chat

BIKE THIEVES GET TECHNICAL.......

MGMG Posts: 470
There has been a startling amount of bike thefts around the country in the past 12 months with some high end kit being filtched by sticky fingered urchins.

There is a school of thought that the theives are using these forums, cycling forums, time trial forums etc. stalking "my bikes better than yours threads" and looking for links onto things like mapmyride and Motionbased.com (GPS data) and using the mapping software can pretty much pinpoint where you live and nick your bike!!! Fairly shocking I thought!!

A friend of a friend had his pride and joy (cervelo P3C) nicked and he reckons that a combination of TT forum, motionbased and facebook gave enough info for thieves to break into garage and nick his bike.

Not trying to strike fear into your hearts, but I think its definately food for thought............

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    This sort of thing has ocurred to me.

For example Gary Roberts knows my address! [;)]

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    I guess the 'where do you store your bike' thread was a bad idea then - unless whoever started it is a bike thief and looking for easy targets???? Willieverfinsih - you're not a bike thief are you?

on a serious note, there was an article on tri247 about theives stricking twice at the same house taking about 4 bikes so if you have been hit once then they know the layout etc of your house (this applies to any buglary.
  • han382han382 Posts: 80
    Hi any theives reading this forum. I live in Hawkenbury in Tunbridge Wells, and my bike is kept in my garage in the garden

A couple of things to note though;

1) It's a bottom of the range Giant

2) The kennel next to my shed houses my Alaskan Malamute (think a Wolf with a smile). He's called Tika-you mght want to remember this so you can shout "Help, Tika's biting my arse".

We're out this evening-why not drop by.
  • pataallenpataallen Posts: 94
    one assumes that thieves are nicking top end bikes as there is a market for them. That market is clearly (semi) serious triathletes and not the chavvy scrotes from the local council estates.

Therefore if less scrupluous triathletes are fueling the market they are complicit in the problem - i'm no expert but i guess bikes are being shifted on ebay and the like - my advice would be not to buy a 2nd handbike unless a credible proof of purchase is available, no matter how much of a bargain it seems.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Stolen to order I fear.

I've just googled that dog - bloody hell - it's a wolf that weighs up to 80kgs!!!!!

Nice work trying to nick that blokes bike.

I think there should be a change in the law - if someone is on your property and in the process or attempting to steal any item of your property then I think you should be allowed to incapacitate them in any way you see fit without any fear of prosecution.

If they are law abiding people then what the feck are they doing in your shed at midnight wearing a black hoody and carrying to go equipped.

If that was the case then I think the levels of crime in this country would fall hugely.

• clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    There is. You may use reasonable force to protect yourself or your property. However the way people fall down is that the risk must be reap and specific and at the time.

Hence farmers shooting someone who is 200 metres away running in the opposite direction cant be justified.

Personally what i think this to mean is shoot the c**ts then drag them back in and plant a knife on them, then torture them slowly and their families!

My bike got nicked to order in Feb the day of the TCR, and scott burrows is riding one now! hmm......
  • pippip Posts: 170
    Is chopping someones arm off with a samurai sword cosidered reasonable force `cos that`s what i`d do with the little feckers.One things for sure thry wouldn`t be stealing anyone`s property again.
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    clarkey30 wrote:

Personally what i think this to mean is shoot the c**ts then drag them back in and plant a knife on them, then torture them slowly and their families!

PMSL - some migt say a little over the top - Just torture them!

Sorry your bike got nicked!

I think I might get better security for the ******* mine are ket in.

although people will see the extra security an think there's something worth nicking! - Jezzz you can't win!
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    You think that drilling holes in their legs would pass as reasonable force?
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    The rules for reasonable is what is as a result of an honest held belief you felt at the time!

So a man in your home in the middle of the night armed with some kind of weapon (if they arent they will be when the police arrive) is there to hurt you and seriously!

So i feel, tying them to a chair and performing open surgery on body parts you have suffered injuries to in order to understand how you got injured is justifiable!
  • ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    guard dogs!

if anyone comes into my house i have 2 levels of protection:

1) my mrs.... a black belt in karate (no wonder she is always right) (somehow managed to convert her into tri, and she got her first tomorrow!)

2) our dog, half rottweiler and half staffie! 18 months old, still loves chewing everything is site. He has had his first swim lesson today in and endless pool, to build both his strength and endurance!!!!

so burglars at your own risk!!!
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    @han- this is all very well and good but what is the Malamute supposed to do while locked in the shed? Give the burglars the evil eye? spit? Call the police?

I used to work with Malamutes and very handsome dogs they are too. If they fight they are impossible to break up though, i found that out pretty soon! Tough as old boots. And they do quite like to stand up and hug you dont they? lol

Had two litters at once (they have big litters!) one year which meant about fifteen fluffy balls romping about at your feet. Puppy heaven! and god, do Malamutes like to make a lot of noise too.

I have a greyhound and if the postman so much as rings on the doorbell, he's straight to my bedroom and under the covers with a terrified look on his face. Its his favourite safe place. I think he knows I dont get many men in there lol [;)] And thanfully my road bike is a modest Specialized Allez so he wont have to do much guarding. And I live with a marine. [:D]

I love dogs (sigh)
  • roosterrooster Posts: 2
    My shed was broken into the other night and my 2 race bikes stolen -

so please keep your eyes out for a

Quintana Roo Seduza (black red) built up with full Duraace, HEd aero bars, and wierd unmatching wheels - it has a crap Gipemme wheel on the rear as it has just come off the turbo. MINT condition - could have come out of the showroom.

Giant TCR 2 composite 2 bike , ultegra, Xero XR1-lite race clinchers, black and yellow 2004 version. good condition but obviously a few years old.

Both bikes were fully locked , and deadlocked to an industrial cable that was locked around a tree and routed into the shed. The theives boltcuttered the door, both cables, moved my training bike out of the way and left it in the garden, and left my MTB in next doors garden - they must have climbed over their fence toget into our garden as we have big locked doors across our driveway.

Just goes to show that nothing is safe

A good tip I heard is to get a rape alarm and fit it inside the shed, with the pull tab under the door attached to a nail etc - when you open it you make sure to remove the tab before opening the door, but the thieves obviously won't know that and will set the alarm off when opening the door.

I'm just hoping that the insurance pay out - but the shed was insured toa max of £3k so I'm going to lose out anyway to the tune of about £2k I reckon, even with a max payout.... :(

oh, and the bloody vicious guard dog we got didn't really do the job he was paid to that night, unfortunately....
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    md6 wrote:

I guess the 'where do you store your bike' thread was a bad idea then - unless whoever started it is a bike thief and looking for easy targets???? Willieverfinsih - you're not a bike thief are you?

on a serious note, there was an article on tri247 about theives stricking twice at the same house taking about 4 bikes so if you have been hit once then they know the layout etc of your house (this applies to any buglary.

Chances are that most high end bikes are insured,so the thieves wait for a couple of weeks,insurance pays up,new bikes arrive and then get nicked again.Principle applies with house burgularies,always a good chance to be hit twice once the gear has been replaced.B$s£%rds.
  • I am sorry for the bike lost :(

Had this discussion with some guys over on survival forum. There isnt a lot you can do, any traps which harm are considered premeditated assault (yeah...i know...makes no sense). If you assault them your going to lose again because you assaulted them. You cant hurt them unless they are presenting threat. Very gay. Easiest but least practical solution, leave your bike in your bedroom. If the assailant trys to get into your bedroom once they are aware of your presence, then you can pretty much kill them.

Law is wierd. You can secure things, but not protect them.

one interesting caveat, paint mines or some other staining mechanism are arguably legal and if nothing else will scare the crap out of the theif.