Home Chat General Chat

aero bars

hi people this is my first post on here so be gentle! I have started triathlon this summer with blenhiem being my first event. Since then i've been training hard for the london tri my first olympic dist tri. And thought i'd try and get some extra advantage with aero bars. I went the profile design carbon stealthsand have fitted them on to my bike. Only problem is i'm finding them quite painful to use specially in my neck and left shoulder. So i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to solve the problem?

cheers

kevin

Comments

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    The neck pain is most likely as your not used to being in that position, your riding for long periods of time in a position your body simply isnt used to and taking the weight of the head in the aero position puts a lot of stress on the body. Try using the side bars more and progressively spending more time in aero as you train to give our body a chance to get used to it.

The pain in the left shoulder I'm not so sure about, it could be as a result of the above, or, you need to space the areo bars wider apart at the elbows more (try lining it up so you knees are in line with the elbow at the top most part of the leg stroke as a width gauge).

Other than that I'm out. how long has it been since you started riding aero?
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    Hi Kevin .... welcome to the 220 !!!! aero bars .... a commn problem with clip on bars to a road bike with drop handlebars is that of reach. You will probably find you are stretching to ride in the aero position. This will probably be indicated by how easily you can get into and out of the bars. Most road bike will have a longer top stem that say a time trail or tri specific bike. Am sure the profile stryke have some adjustment to allow for this at least to some extent (you may need to adjust them back a bit). Other than that it could also jusy be a) your body adjusting to the aero position b) that you may be holding yourself rigidly - try to relax throught the shoulders as much as possible let the neck and head come down slightly looking just opver the bars towards the road ahead. idealy your elbows will about a right angle and your forearms parallel to the ground & your bars. I tried to adapt some to fit to a mountain bike but the bike frame was too long - you should be ok with a road bike assuming it isnt oversized for yourself. Mihgt be worth getting to a good bike shop for a bike fit n service before London otherwise you may suffer in the race attemtping to maintain the aero position you have at present.

LAstly stetching of the neck back and shoulder ono a regular basis will also help somewhat.

madnurse
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    I forgot to mention, not only may the reach be to long as Mad suggests, but, you may find that the bars are to low and you need to increase the height to relieve some of the pressure until you get used to it.
  • DSGDSG Posts: 1
    Kevin

I started on aerobars about two years ago as a form of back exercise having slipped a lower disc 18 months previously. It took a couple of months to build up the strength in my back working on the aerobars initially for just say 5 mins out of a whole ride, now I can comfortably use them for an hour in a two hour ride. I agree with the comments regarding whether you are also reaching too far, but some aerobars can be adjusted for length, so maybe shorten them for the moment and lengthen them later when you are more comfortable. Lastly, the pain in the shoulder might (I have no medicle experience) be due to leaning too hard on the forearm rests and tiring your arm rather than relaxing taking the bulk of the weight through your back?

Stick with it though, the benefits of aerobars are huge over normal handlebars.
  • kevin1888kevin1888 Posts: 4
    Thanks people for all your advice will have to put a few more training rides and get used to the new position. Think i'll leave leave them off for the the london triathlon as not to cause any discomfort on the bike leg.

Thanks

kevin
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    there was an article in 220 (issue 195) that said (i think) one of the things you will probably want todo is drop the saddle by about 3-5mm and move it forward slightly...to help aliviate such over reaching problems...

I will hunt it out and see if there is any more info than that (which I am sure there will be)

• CenzoCenzo Posts: 91
    This might just put the cat amongst the pigeons.....but

I've taken my tri-bars off & have found I'm quicker riding on the drops. The only place I can notice any negatives with this is on long descents...hmmm interesting?

As most of my training is done on undalating roads (at the very least) I think I may go without for a while, unless I'm in for a long ride where the comfort is needed.

• rebborebbo Posts: 58
    that's really interesting Cenzo - for no particularly good reason (mainly variety, to stop getting bored/uncomfortable) I ride on top of the bars when going uphill, on the aero bars when flat & on the drops for downhills. I thought the drops give you more stability/manoeuvrability cf. aerodynamics of the aero bars, so should be safer but not as quick.

Do you find a big difference?
  • CenzoCenzo Posts: 91
    Rebbo,

I find that, especially on undulating roads, when you have increase effort to manatain speed, or maybe flick a gear or two the drops are working better for me. I tend to lose less speed, if any at all when the road slopes up. I think I just find it an easier to transfer the power on the drops.