Home Chat General Chat

WHICH BIKE???

Hi People, I have been running now for some years and have recently started swimming however I have decided that I am going Tri. I need help chosing a bike but Im on a budget on £300. I seen these two wondering which one I should get though, http://www.evanscycles.com/find.jsp;jsessionid=8972D772CE13EEB8F2D224A544AA4277.tomcat3?page=1&sortDirection=2&searchFor=&action=find&bs_filter=&searchWhat=6&minPrice=0&maxPrice=300&typePick=1033&brandPick=

Comments

• pdundepdunde Posts: 99
    Out of those two i would go for the saracen, as its got an 8 speed cassette as opposed to a 7 speed. But to honest id buy neither - i know its probably sacrilidge on this website forum but i would personally go to Halfords and get a carrera valour which has a 9 speed shimano tiagra cassette. Thats what i got as my intro bike and its been bloody great so i can vouch for it.
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    Not wishing to confuse matters anymore, but have you thought about the Giant OCR4? Haven't got one so can't really comment on it, but it gives you another choice. Only a 14 spd though.
  • maybe an even more controversial response would be to reccomend paying a visit to Ebay. Many of the shops will sell off last years models (which about now means 2006 as the 07 models are now nearly all here). You may shave a fair few pounds off the RRP.

Failing that, despite what people may think of halfords, some of the carrera range of bikes are well worth looking at in terms of really good value for money.

In contradiction to what I've just said, trying a bike out and finding one that's comfortable for you is way more important than a mild hike in spec. I think all will agree on this ?
  • Try jejamescycles.co.uk they have the OCR4 for £250 and the Dawes for £269

Personally the Giant has a great record for making excellent bikes.

Scott
  • Im gonna confuse it a bit more for you so sorry. but you could go to a cycle rally and pick up a bargain at the auction I did for £250 and later found out that the frame was originally £800. Any way if you do make sur to take it to a good bike shop for them to make sure it's safe.

• hbhb Posts: 22
    Hi i was in the same boat with the bike.i in fact bought the claud butler you have put a link on the forum for. i was quite impressed with it and have done alterations bit by bit and now have a bike with lots of carbon fibre parts which now make the bike better
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    you could go to wiggle spend a fiver more and get free delivery and get this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360031621&n=Giant%20SCR%204
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    pdunde: another Carrera rider comes out of the closet.

( <--- That's me on mine in the London tri last year. Got me round the 40km in 1:10. It is still better than I am.)