Home Chat General Chat

intervals

i've got my 1st sprint 3 weeks today. My running is the only thing i'm only unhappy with and thats what i'm going to concentrate on between now and then. I no intervals are the way to do it but what times do i sprint 4 and recover 4.

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Are you doing them on the track?

Do you have an HRM?

Fartlek might be a bit easier to do if you don't have a track. Incorporate it into a 20 or 30 minute run. Go as hard as you can to the next bus stop. Get the HR up. Recover for 30 seconds, or until the HR drops. Then off for the next bus stop. You will have done this sort of thing on the bike, no doubt!

Otherwise, think of the time you want to spend. Fit some intervals in that. You could try going as hard as you can for, say 800 metres Then recover for a similar amount of time. Then off you go again. So long as the HR is really getting up there, you will be doing OK. Again, spend about 20 mins or so on the session (it doesn't need to be too much more - as your run will only be 20 - 30 mins).

The key things are to get the HR up. Maintain the speed _beyond_ the point where you want to stop - i.e. make it hard. And probably spend 20 - 30 mins on the total session.
  • teamspiritteamspirit Posts: 148
    Thanks dude i'm not using a track and yes i have got a HRM. I'm going to do give it ago this morning.
  • Hillsy555Hillsy555 Posts: 19
    I don't think I could manage as hard as possible for 800 minutes !!![;)]

Good effort if you can, you will have no problem with the sprint triathlon !!![:D]
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Hillsy555 wrote:

I don't think I could manage as hard as possible for 800 minutes !!![;)]

Whoops! Corrected it now. Meant 800 metres - about 2 mins....

• I'd recommend recovering for half the time you run for, for example 4min reps with 2mins recovery between. This will mean you don't get too much recovery and keep your strength. You can add some shorter reps in (1min) with the same 2 min recovery but make sure you make these fast to get some speed in.

Some examples of interval sessions i do are:

5min, 3min, 2min X 2 or 3 with 90sec or 2min recovery throughout making sure there is a change in speed between the 5min, 3min and 2min

3min rep then 90sec rep X 4 with 90 sec or 2min recovery throughout
    just been out and done some did 5min warm up and then did bus stops as jack suggested was was bloody hard forgot how intense intervals were lol and had 30 secs recovery (well a few were longer than 30 secs lol) Did this 4 20mins and then a 5min cool down.
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    Fartlec and interval training are the same thing.

But if your race is in three weeks you wont accomplish alot in that time.

Your much better off doing some endurance work, longer distances at slower speeds.

You dont want to injure yourself so close to the race now do you.
    does it matter it's only a c race.
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    Dont know mate you posted the question

So is it worth it
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Fartlek is a form of interval, but not the same.

Intervals are different to produce a different effect, full recovery or partial? Very different outcomes & feeling too!

You can use anything to make your interval, as suggested...or sprint the long side of a football pitch, jog the short for short recoveries & more intensity...which will help incr lactate tolerance, if you sprint the short & jog the long it is more aerobic intervals as recovery will be more complete. Using time rather than distance produces a similar effect as distance using the same work/recovery strategy. Obviosly hill intervals will have the bonus of building strength as well. Almost limitless possibilities.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    I'd say with three weeks to go you should be doing intervals - but sparingly.

Just do one session a week. If I'm running three times a week I go with a longer run, a tempo run (just below race pace) and an intervals session.

I've started tacking my tempo run to a longer bike as well.

The temptation is to hammer the intervals - but you risk burn out/injury/illness if you do too many.

One a week will definitely sharpen you up and help your overall speed.