Home Chat General Chat

Ironman water temp and mass start

Hello does anyone have any tips on the Ironman swim mass start. Also what do you think the water temp will be?

Cheers Nick

(nervous and hoping starting to get nervous about the Ironman swim!!!!)

Comments

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Which Ironman event are you wanting details on ? ?
  • nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    Sorry should of said Bolton.
    If I'm realistic it's going to be about 1.45 swim, I've got a couple of 750m swims coming up and I'm doing the Chester Tri (1500m).

It's difficult to get a lot of practice in as I'm cautious of swimming on my own out doors, and not being a rich triathlete the fees can mount up. Any suggestions?

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    A Conehead special training day is what you need........

sorry sorry I'll shut up

I need either a sail or an outboard motor!!!!!!!!
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    nicknofinger wrote:

If I'm realistic it's going to be about 1.45 swim, I've got a couple of 750m swims coming up and I'm doing the Chester Tri (1500m).

It's difficult to get a lot of practice in as I'm cautious of swimming on my own out doors, and not being a rich triathlete the fees can mount up. Any suggestions?

Chester Tri? Start at the back with me [:D]

I'm giving Boundary Park a go on Thursday.
    Do you think they'll give us a half hour head start?
  • ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    i did my first IM in 06, did a 58 min swim, and read a great tip a week before. Start out wide. This way you avoid all of the battering of the masses, flying arms, limbs etc... when you are nervous and have got other thoughts going on, this really hepls to keep you calm.

the sherbourne was out and back, and do twice, whilst i see that the bolton is a rectangle with turn after 100m! i think that first bend will be absolute chaos. again at the turn stay wide, and stay out of the trouble.

once the field has then found its pace then maybe settle in, and possibly get on someones heels!

as for temp! in 06, i really focussed on saving my legs for the bike and run, and came out of the lake shivering. on further reading they suggest to increase your leg kick 5-10 min before exiting, and i would also add if you feel your body temp dropping slightly increase your leg kick.

Cheers great advice I do plan on staying wide and keeping out of the dog fight. I think the main thing is that I keep calm and just don't panic. What time did you get in your first Ironman and am I to take it that you have done more since.

Cheers.

• Conehead wrote:

I'd invest in a hat, gloves and booties.

Have a word guys.

You have to wear a hat - they give you one! If you really get a cold bonce put another on underneath. I did that one year but it hurt my forehead as it was quite tight. As for gloves and booties its Bolton not Boston. You may get a little chilly at the start but once the bun fight begins I've normally forgotton all about it.

Unless you're scared of weeds that is

PIT xx

I did IMFRA a few years ago and lots of people walked into the sea with flip flops on due to the pebbles... I twinkle toed it!
  • ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    i did 11 hr 21, and had a 58 min swim. am doing me second IM this year at bolton, so i shall be there out wide with you!

yesterday did wetherby, and the swim start was awful! the water was only 12.5 degrees ie freezing!

speaking to people after loads really struggled to get their rythm breathing, i think from just the shock of treading water in the cold, to swimming in the cold! afetr being dunked by some a**!$le, i chilled out, got my rythm, and made up the ground on the second half of the swim, to be 12th out the water. the key message, whatever happens in there, dont be afraid to take a minute out to regroup, just try and pull to the side first

if it is cold, some people opt for a 2 swim cap approach
    Just to let you know I had a big confidence booster today, I swam 3.5km in a 50 meter pool and I felt great! It made me feel a lot better about the swim. I then topped it of with a 15 mile cycle and a half marathon.

If any one is in the Cardiff area tonight and wants to get my stuff ready for work tomorrow and pass me the remote I'll give them 50 quid.

And the swim took me one hour twenty five and did it non stop.