Home Chat General Chat

...walk in the palk

oh feck its here .. well not the actual race but the training wknd ... should be a good ....bike sat a.m. and the swim p.m. with the run sun a.m. before a chilled afternoon in the lakes. Am hoping all the months (wot) ok weeks (eh) alright the one days training ihave done will see me ok for this and that i don't have to eat industrial humble pie "about walks in the park". Is getting more like an expedition with all the kit I suddenly sem to need ... is one night camping in helvellyn & it seems like 3 months worht of stuff to pack. & I darent look at the forecast. Its bound to ne a scorcher due to the training and then it will rain as they have planned a BBQ on the Sat.... talk about tempting fate

madnurse

Comments

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    And remember this is all in the name of fun [:D]

Have a good one mad, hope it goes well for you.
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    welcome to join me

http://www.trihard.co.uk/Helvellyn/Recce.htm

be a top wknd with a bbq and T3 on the sat eve....

as if you would rater go sunbathing ???????

mad as ..... a bucket of hot frogs [8D]
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    errr

I seem to have developed a case of sudden injury means I cant but I'd love to be there, really, syndrome [;)]
    omfg what an awesome wknd ..... !!!!!!!!!!!!!! [8D]

sat a.m. 38 mile bike - around Helvellyn inc Kirstone Pass & up 'The Struggle' .... if I thought I had done hill training before ..... FECK NO !!!!!!! ... a triple cassette is definately needed for the next time I go and a must for the race.

sat p.m. swim 1 mile - felt good speed improving although loose alot when sighting, so i either swim like a slow n steady shark or fast like a croc ... hoping i can blend the two together befoe the event.

sun a.m. run - 8 mile up Helvellyn .... I couldnt have conceived the idea that a run route might actually take you across terrain that requires scrambling up on feet n hands also called climbing up a vertical path.. who am i kidding it was a climb in parts. And the descents, mother Mary of Jesus etc,

but was it good HELL YES !!!!!!!!!

the BBQ sat eve was superb the people even better and the campsite quality (even if it was only £12 a night) cant wait to get back up there

madnurse [:D][:D]

ps am planning another training session up there in Aug if anyone fancys a slice of Helvellyn pie
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Nurse...did you "walk in the park" up the struggle or did you have enough to keep the pedals moving - cadence 12 I'd expect ;)

I assume by your comments you have never seen the struggle before? - I have immense respect man my car barely makes it up.

• pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    Sounds awesome - when are you planning to go again?

I've always thought there was something odd (mad??) about people who get so excited about things that hurt .....
    I've always thought there was something odd (mad??) about people who get so excited about things that hurt .....
    ORIGINAL: pacrfish

from you Pat that has to be a compliment ...

I have races this n next wknd so wouldn't be til 12th / 13th Aug ... however i may just use the campsite I did last time and do the bike sat and the run sunday ( an open swim is after all a swim .... it didnt feel any different) but might have a chill in the lake after the run out ease the legs out. maybe do a bbq sat eve before heading to a local pub for some transition drills.

phil [:D]

campsite i used - http://www.gillsidecaravanandcampingsite.co.uk/ (cost me £12.50 a night for two)

if anyone fancy joining me n mrs mad let me know
    Seriously, I would love to come along but 12 Aug is my 50th birthday so I'm not expecting to be in much of a state for any exercise that weekend (except for the odd spell on the bouncy castle and bouncy slide between beverages).

I'll be in the area the following weekend for my Swimtrek swimming 'holiday', so I might well recce the scene of the crime - so to speak!

I used to laugh at my colleague at work who looks for steep hills to cycle up (the 14%ers at Exmoor weren't enough for him so he climbed a 1 in 4 over the Quantocks on the way home - using a standard gearset, of course) ..... but I think it's catching .....

My daughter says I'm just getting weirder and weirder ....
    welcome to pop along for T3 and take mirth in our efforts even if you dont partake of anything other the liquid challenge
    have an extra one in T3 for me ....
    look loon ... another wknd of helvellyn ... and its after london .....
    thought some of you might like to have a look a tthe write up the training wknd got (taken from trihard website)

[center]"Helvellyn Tr[color=#ff0000]i[/color]athlon Recce Weekend Saturday July 22nd Sunday July 23rd 2006[/center]You've m[color=#ff0000]i[/color]ssed [color=#ff0000]i[/color]t. And a great weekend it was too. Weather was just about perfect. Hot and sunny for the bike on the Saturday, perhaps a bit too hot for The Struggle, but we all made it. Fantastic swim late Saturday afternoon. I would go as far as to say the lake was warm. As we were all waiting to re-group on the far side it was absolutely perfect. Floating there in the sunshine under a blue sky surrounded by the most beautiful scenery imaginable; brilliant. The Saturday evening barbee on the campsite was very sociable and comfortably warm. Beer and burgers never tasted better. It even cooled down a little and clouded a bit for the run on Sunday. 20 degrees in the valley and 10 on the top. You could even see the view from the summit. Most ran and dived in the lake at the end of the run. The intended 10 minute ordeal of standing waist deep in bone crushing cold water to help out the leg muscles a la Paula Radcliffe turned into a pleasant 1/2 hour cooling down and splash about.

Undoubted star of the weekend was Will (Rickshaw) Barker. He turned up at the start of the bike ride on his mountain bike complete with panniers, wearing a t-shirt, baggy shorts and flip-flops. The real 99p article not your rigid soled hiking sandals. I thought "Oh no, this guy is going to take all day". But he was still on my wheel doing 20mph along the edge of Thirlmere and and only lost it a bit on the decent into Grassmere when we all had our noses on our front wheels. At the top of The Struggle he took his wetsuit out of one of his panniers so that he could find his sandwiches. He offered us all a fig roll before necking a pint of Stella from the Kirkstone Pass Inn. One to watch out for if he brings his road bike in September.

The weekend ended standing in the lake reflecting on what had been a pretty arduous but thoroughly enjoyable couple of days. "

Mr Barker was indeed the imbodiment of the tri spirit & gives suport to idea that if the inclination is there then anything can be acheived .... even on flip flops !!!!!!

mad
    20mph on a mtb (is impressive enough) with the extra drag of the panniers is most impressive...

can I get a tenner on him winner...what was he like on the swim and run?

can happily report i was a good 20+ minutes ahead on bike - however i freely admit his swim way surpassed mine. and he beat me on the run. have work to do indeed ! [:D]
    If he does indeed own a road bike your in trouble ;)...

what did you max out at coming back down
    not sure of my top speed coming back down into glenridding (no bike computer). But I think I can give the flipflop man a run for his momey come the day, it will close though.

madnurse
    a little late in the day ... but am off back up to Helvellyn tomorrow to do the bike route followed by the run - should anyone care to join me for a bit of training "walk in the park " style give me a shout. am aiming to get there earlyish around 9am to do the triathlon bike route (40miles) with the run later (8miles). If you fancy a mad morning of the above and have the following give me a shout

bike

helmet

running shoes suitable for fell running (loose hard surface)

small daysack (with waterproofs)

I will have map n compass but know the route - a few gels / bars mihgt be in order plus pennies for a pint after.......

Phil
  • race report !!!!!!

[color=#3300ff]WOW ! ouch, big grin, AWESOME....... [/color]

.... full report to follow after a big pint, meal n a sleep

M[:)]

[:D]a

d[8D]

[;)]n

u[&:]

[:@]r

s[:'(]

[:-]e
  • Wheeee - well done, mad!!

I'll look forward to the full report, but that's more than enough for now!

• Think that says in all really - well done
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Well done Madone!!! You're having a flying first season!