Clip on Tri bars...any recommendations

OOh, I shall be interested in the response form this as;

1) i need to lose a stone for a mid july tri too

2) i have a specialized allez as well

3)I do not yet have any aero bars either

Advice please?! [:D]

Comments

• Scott WScott W Posts: 51
    Having done Eton on Saturday in the howling wind i got to thinking now I am pretty comfortable on the road bike with feet clipped in etc maybe getting a bit more aero would make sense...to achieve this I have two strategies planned....

1. Lose a stone before next tri in mid July :-)

2. Think about aero bars and riding position

Thinking clips ons and ideally not too expensive (dont want bars that cost more than the bike!)

Any recommendations? The bike is a Speacialized Allez

Cheers
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    Profile Aero bars cost around 40 quid and are quite comfortable and easy enough to instal. They take a little getting used to though so get some practice before you use in a race.

I initially put them on my commuting bike and used them on quiet stretches of road or the Regents Canal towpath.

These are definitely entry level and in time I upgraded mine. I'd suggest this route too - no point buying a carbon set for over 100 quid only to find you don't like using them.

As for the weight loss, no comment!
  • rsc198rsc198 Posts: 9
    I've got a set of the Profile T2+ S bend Aero bars, love them!

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Profile-Profile-Design-T2+-Aerobar-14184.htm

Definatly make a difference to your time!

Ru

• risris Posts: 1,002
    i picked up a set of profile century bars from a forum a month or so ago, cost me 25quid. i still use them sparingly as i find being away from the brakes and gears a bit odd. on longer weekend rides when the traffic is lighter i occasionally use them for a few minutes, but i'm still not confident enough to use them on my busier pothole dodging commute!

they do seem to make a difference to speed though, and i can feel the muscle use changes as well after a few minutes. i figure they were worth having on the bike so that i could practice and try to get used to them.
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    I've got a set of the Profile T2+ S bend Aero bars, love them!

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Profile-Profile-Design-T2+-Aerobar-14184.htm

Definatly make a difference to your time!

Ru

I have these too and love them......

[image]local://2838/165298F627DD426B8018135A74CD884B.jpg[/image]
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I've just bought some bontrager race x lite carbon bars, haven't fitted them yet but the look good.

I'm going to fit them tonight, if anyone could tell me how far apart i should fit them that would be great?
    Mate who is a serious cyclist (600km last week!) suggested the profile T2 bars so endorsement here is great...

£89 at wiggle is best I can find in UK...
  • rsc198rsc198 Posts: 9
    Thats a pretty good price.. normaly aroungf £105 ish... They do a Carbon version for nearer £200... but I woulden't worry about thoes unless you're on your way to setting records!

Easy to fit, just clamp onto you're bars and away you go, plus pleanty of adjustment so you can get comfey!

Just done 105 miles around Kent on mine... far easier than riding on the normal drops, and faster!

Ru

• [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    I'm considering getting some aero bars but why are they so expensive!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Ive got cheap (£34) profile clip ons! They are great. becaise of the different hand positions postible.

When it comes to the 1 stone? Bacon slicer?
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    why are they so expensive!

like weddings and babies mate........if its got anything to do with triathlon then its think of a number and double it!
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    After getting a recommendation on here a couple of weeks ago from Blurredgirl I've just bought some Kinetic One tri bars (type in Kinetic One on Ebay and you'll find them). They're extendable so will fit most size of athletes I was told that the Profile Bars I had were too short for me. So if anyone wants them, please let me know. All good offers considered. LIke these ones:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Profile_Century_Aero_ZB_Aero_Bars/4000000916/
    Is anyone that has some clip on aero bars replacing thier original drop bars for a new wing bar?

Like this profile one?

[img]http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/profile-t2-wing-base-bar-08-med.jpg[/img]

• tummymustgotummymustgo Posts: 43
    whats it about us boys that ride allez we all want to lose a stone

I have that as a ride and have put on some profile bars , really like riding with them

need to move your saddle as the bits in my shorts seemed to hurt!!

Got my first race next sun , arundel tri in sussex, so will let you know how I get on

good luck to all
  • ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    i got the profile carbon stryke aero bars earlier this year, and the can highly recommend them.
    So I managed to pick up some Profile T2+ aero bars off eBay for £43! Where do you attach your cycle computer with them mounted? Is there enough space?

• MintyMatMintyMat Posts: 98
    I struggled with this and space is compromised but I was able to thread a computer cable tie through the back of my cateye computer which holds it in place beautifully beside the elbow pad..
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    I've got mine (Polar CS200) on my stem as it came with a bar & stem mount. Can't see it that well though as I have to almost look down at my bottom bracket to see it, so may well experiment with mounting it on one of the tri bars.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    I've got a Cateye Strada Wireless - stick it on your stem.

• I have profile T2+ which I'd strongly recommend. It doesn't leave much space for the computer but I find that I can just get the computer on the bars on one side and my HRM watch on the bars on the other - I guess it depends how wide your handlebars are, but mine seem just wide enough
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I've also got the Profile T2+ bars, and find them fantastic. For the computer I went for a Knogg wireless which canbe stem mounted, and fits perfectly between the bars.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I would caution anyone putting clip-on bars to a standard road bike (especially an Allez which I think has overly relaxed geometry for racing). These bars will not turn your bike into a TT machine, and they will alter your ride position. I think that tri-bars on a road bike offer an opportunity to temporarily get low and aero-ISH on a road bike when going downhill or on a short straight. They may not offer a fast position for prolonged period of time on a circuit as they can adversely effect your riding position. (You need a more aggressive seatpost angle to get maximum benefit from aerobars).
    Back from Hols now and Profile T2's arrived this week, fitted them on Weds evening (much tinkering whilst on turbo) and had first ride with them this morning (circa 25km)

Nature of ride meant that wasnt on them all the time (hills and narrow country roads with pot holes) but managed to get down on them for a fair bit and felt ok (had been warned would feel strange being so far from gears/brakes)

Found neck was a bit sore, from tilting head back to see road (no bad thing) is that normal or am i likely in bad position

• bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    Profile do a tri bar computer mount ( try a google search)

The mount clamps around the tri bars anywhere you want it , takes seconds to fit, then attach computer to the mount. simple and Brilliant. They come in 25mm and 60mm widths.

I have the profile T2+ on my training bike and the T2+ cobra carbon on my road bike. Very comfy and well recommended.