Home Chat General Chat

Tough Guy challenge in January 2007

Ian

I gather you have to be mental to do this

Happy

Comments

• ianogbornianogborn Posts: 64
    Just had my mate suggest we try this, apparently its a 10 mile cross country course with 2 miles of those being assault courses; has anyone heard of it or done it, its meant to be a killer and the ultimate!! Any comments
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    ian ... sounds intriuging .. have you any details ????? how things - not seen much of you on here of late ???

phil [:D]

ps how did we go on with your boss and his donation to NSPCC ?
    I am scare silly about this one, my friend is a met police pti and evn he is anxious about it, but its one of those things you have to try. Mad Nurse I have just had the metal plate taken out of my arm and so have been told no exercise for 6 weeks in order to let the bone repair where the screws were, but in the meantime I am looking round for a new bike, very very interested in the new carrera vanquish which was in this months 220.
  • WellaWella Posts: 188
    Hi guys.

I met someone at a party about two months ago who had done this. I reckons you have to be insane or mad(nurse) to do it but by the end I thought where do I sign up?

After telling me stories involving falling through a catch net into 6ft of stinging nettles (you then have to walk out of them) and running over burning bales of hay I thought it sounded like good fun. There was a review of this in a fitness magazine back in about March. I'll scan it in and forward it on if anyones interested.

Wella
  • fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    i did this in 2005, don't know what all the fuss is about to be honest, ok so the water's cold and you get seriously dirty, it's about 8 miles ish i think, first 6 being a cross country run lots of short steep hills, then it's the onstacle course, the amount of people doing it means you spend most the time queueing, although if you have done it before you get to start nearer the front. i'd heard all about it and went over on my own, drove myself home, showered and went for a swim.

i might give it another go to start nearer the front but it's no big deal really
    well fatt matt,

all I can say is u must be super human, I have just looked on the web site and from what I can see it looks mad, people have died doing this apparently. Maybe you should come and join us and show us how to do it, so what do you say. By the way how long did it take you to do it?
  • fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    not heard the one about people dying on this, though i've heard about a few broken limbs, yes it does look mad and i was worried, but i'm a long way from being superhuman, and if i was i'd be donut man!.

it was just that for most of the way there was so many people it was little more than a jog, wait, climb/swim etc.. i imagine if you were nearer the front then you'd have more room to push yourself. though it was great fun and you had to help and be helped over lots of the obstacles.

the day i did it it was fairly mild but i'm sure if it was a really cold day then it would be a different story, i'd like to give it another go and am up for it if you want to get a few people together.

fatmatt (donut man)
  • I haven't done this event but friends have. It's not really a test of your fitness (unless you start at the front!) it's more a test of your ability to withstand the cold, the freezing water and the inevitable mud.

I'm thinking of entering it to see for myself. I'll let you know if I do.

Cheers

BBB
  • Can I jump in with 'bragging rights'?

I have done this 5 times. It is well achievable for all triathletes.

Two top tips :

1, train hill reps well in advance,

2, Try not to swallow the water.....plays havoc with your insides

oh yeah, and don't carry gels in a bumbag as those extra inches around your waist may get you stuck for 5 mins in a tunnel.....so I've heard!!