Home Chat General Chat

Colwick Park Nottm 2K OW swim race

I must have looked a bit scared yesterday when the guy at registration for my 2km lake swim said 'No wetsuits allowed', because his next words were 'You'll be fine.'

I did it anyway, but my god it was cold. For the first 5 mins I was unable to put my head under water due to the shock of the temperature. Once I got in to my stride I progressed from last place to 2nd to last. After the first 1km lap I was so tempted to get out, but I carried on and actually posted a reasonable time of 51 min. Considering the lack of wetsuit I was chuffed with this. When I got out I must have looked crappy, 'cause a woman came over to me and said 'Are you alright?'

For the next 15 minutes I shivered uncontrollably despite hot showers, warm clothing and lots of chocolate.

For the rest of the afternoon I felt like I'd run a marathon - totally knackered and permanently thirsty.

Quite an experience all told.

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Not wanting to diss anyone elses weekend efforts, but you are my hero of the weekend. No wetsuits? I would have turned & gone home, entry fee be damned, I raced O/W Thurs (in a wetsuit) & ran after & I was cold for a while after. so neoprens swim hats off to you.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    No wet suit? My god, that article about people dieing from tri should be redirected to OW swim with no wetsuit... now i've said that i hope no one died.

That you got into the water (let alone completed the 2k) without a wetsuit is an inspiration. Well done
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    You are a braver man than me ... brrrrrrr ...

Well done on completing it without a wetsuit.