Home Chat General Chat

Etape Caledonia Sabotaged

Did anyone else see that saboteurs spread a "carpet of tacks" across the road at the Etape this w/end in protest at the roads being shut for 8 hours....they seem to forget that every hotel for 20 miles was full and sure restaurants and bars did ok ...oh and the fact Macmillan make around £250k from the event....

Over 100 cyclists punctured, some fell off....muppets (the saboteurs not the ones who fell off!)

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Etape_Caledonia_stopped_due_to_sabotage_article_282719.html

Comments

• WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    I was actually at the event and like all cyclists were deeply disappointed by what happened although credit must go to the organisers who took dramatic steps to ensure the safety of the cyclists as much as possible.

The tacks were only present on the major hill climb of the event, and I have never seen more people repairing punctures than that. Some poor people were walking their bikes up with 4 blown tubes wrapped round them. Heard a rumour that all 3500 spare inner tubes that Mavic took got used and that doesn't even count the ones that the competitors had themselves.

I myself didn't suffer any, but crashed twice catching the rear wheel of cyclist whose tires had blown out from the tacks. Only a few bumps and bruises but it could have been so much worse.

Saw a few signs from some locals saying Yes - Cycling Event, No - 4 hours of closed roads. I would also say No to deliberately trying to harm people.

They reckon from just the entries Macmillian make 160K + all the additional sponsorship money people make. I reckon the event is also worth about £500,000 to the local economy too which at an off-peak time is bloody amazing!

Overall, (despite the crashes and being held at the top of the mountain for an hour) it was enjoyable and a cracking ride!

P.S. Thanks to the Rourke guys who pulled me along on Loch Rannoch at 43kph+. Was bloody hard work but loved it!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    So, let me get this straight...you do not want hundreds of cyclists clogging up the roads for some hours once a year..so you put tacks down, that will stop them & slow the whole thing down, making it longer, the roads closed for longer....yeah, good one.

I know its meant to put next years entries off, but really think it thru people.

God help us in 2012 if this is the attitude.
  • That could have been just afew mouth breathers or some kids who done that. Theres no way an entire community could be that stupid and/or condone actions which would adversly effect sponsorship of an anti charity company and the economy of the entire area....is there?
  • Scott WScott W Posts: 51
    Organised enough to have an acronym (below from Bike Radar article)

A campaign group called ACRE (Against Closed Road Events) has been lobbying the local council to keep the roads open on the day of the Etape
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Should have got more news coverage,wonder if someone had covered the roads around Manchester for the 10k with oil or Diesel the coverage would have been limited to the odd paragraph,I THINK NOT.

Sadly it is not uncommon,Ironman Canada gat hit with Tacks a couple of years ago.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Similar happened in Kent for the Tour De France the other year. Luckily locals and course officials got the tacks cleared just before the bikes came through.

Hope they caught the bastids who did it.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Scott W wrote:

Organised enough to have an acronym (below from Bike Radar article)

A campaign group called ACRE (Against Closed Road Events) has been lobbying the local council to keep the roads open on the day of the Etape

Is this held in the same place every year? Move next year's event somewhere else. What acronym will the local hotelliers, pubs, shops etc use for their campaign to have the event back?

Contrast with the Chester Half Marathon yesterday involved closing roads blocking about 20 houses in for about three hours. Most houses had the occupants at their garden gates (in the rain), cheering everyone on. Some of them even had signs up directing runners to use their toilets!
  • bigAL99bigAL99 Posts: 13
    I also took part in the event, unfortunately I got a puncture as did my friend at the same place. It was on the downhill after the climb over Schiehallion, travelling fast when the front tyre went down. Very scary.

The majority of the locals were out cheering us along, even after the extra delay. I will go back next year and hope to complete the course without out the course being shortened by 8 miles. They've said to take off about an hour and 25 minues for the stop at the fire station but we was also stopped for well over 30 minutes before we got sent there.