Home Chat General Chat

Acid rising during running....

.....a friend of mine is round for dinner and drinks tonight :)

She runs quite a bit but is a relative newbie - she ran a 10K with me last weekend and regularly runs 5 & 10K training runs during the week.

Here's the problem, she is getting very uncomfortable acid-type burning sensations in her throat during running.

Does anyone have any experience of this and could you offer any advise.

P.S. She has been on the runners world forum but says its crap!

G

Comments

• joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    Haven't suffered from this myself, but do suffer in general sometimes with this. However, what does your friend eat, drink beforehand, if anything? It could be a really simple solution or it might be that she needs to adjust diet by trial and error and see what helps etc..sorry not to be more helpful...am sure there will be more useful answers later..!![:)]
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Without boring you Gary - tell her to drink 150-250mls of milk pre run... I bet you the price of a T shirt it helps
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Maybe visit an Osteopath.

OK, OK, laughter all around, I don't believe all that mumbo-jumbo on chakra, energy points, etc. either.

Until she got rid of my almost 2 years nagging knee injury. And my hand injury!!!

These people work on related areas of the body, for instance: my hand injury was removed by working on my foot. Had to do with a very busy life and digestive system she said.

I really didn't care, as long as she gets it out of me!!![:)]
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    if she is a newbie, it could be that she is going too fast, when i first started running i found that i would get similar problems on (what i thought were) tempo runs - in reality they were run until i felt sick runs. I also agree that it could be to do with her diet before running she should try to cut down on spicy, acidic or other food which can cause indegestion.

P.S Got the forum buddies t yesterday, it looks great! Cheers Garry
  • chaseracechaserace Posts: 20
    Hi Gary,

I used to get this problem during high intensity workouts or racing flat out. Cause was diagnosed as a hiatus hernia at the top of the stomach. As the excercise intensifies the blood goes to the muscles and the stomach in essence shrinks thus sqeezing stomach acid up through the faulty valve and giving burning sensation in throat. Bring on the Gaviscon to neutralise the stomach acid just prior to the event and like magic the problem went away.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Still doesn't sort out the hernia though.

Good news is that you can have reflux without hernias so don't worry about that too much.

I said I wasn't going to bore you but I can't hold back.

This is a common problem and is most often called reflux. Affects both men and women in their adult lives.

I would guard against Gaviscon though ( which is why I suggested milk) cos the the side effects can include constipation, diarrhoea, increased thirst and stomach cramps. Not great I would suggest if your training or racing.

Milk is a "natural" option and with the same action on the stomach is a much better way to start t manage your reflux.

Give it a try and if it doesn't work then try Some of the chalky stuff.

• i heard milk is good for that, but then you run the risk of running runs.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Spot the medic!!