Home Chat General Chat

My legs are knachered - what am I doing wrong?

Have you checked your cleat position?

The pedal spindle should be on the ball of you foot (not your heal [;)]). Too far forward and you will get excrutiating calf pain, too far back and your quads can suffer.

Make sure the cleats are positioned so your foot is in a natural position ie. sit on the edge of a table/kitchen worktop with your feet hanging, the angle of your feet when the are hanging should be the same when clipped into pedals.

Other than that it could be saddle position (not high enough?)

A proper bike fit (by a LBS) could sort the problem out, if thats not gonna happen then post a photo of you on your bike and I'm sure we could point you in the right direction........

Comments

• just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Last week I bought some tri shoes (Shimano TR31) and SDL pedals/cleats. Fixed them straight away over the weekend and did my first 25 mile ride today.

Now, not only do I have trouble getting in, not out, but my legs (quads) are absolutely knackered! Am I doing something wrong?

Same route as always, I have been cycling 180-230k a week since last year October, but never had issues like that with my leg muscles. Sure, it is a new feeling being clipped in, but should it make such a difference? And the worst .... I am about 2-3 km/h slower than usual?!
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i was going to suggest the same thing - cleats being in the wrong position can be very uncomfortable and put unexpected pressure on muscles and joints (knees most commonly that i have noticed). if the bike setup is identical and you had no discomfort before then it seems probable.

the ache i got early on in using spd's was in my calf from pulling up!

the other thing to consider is that the cycling shoes might be different enough to load the quads differently. it seems unlikely that a stiff soled shoe might do this but if you have come from squishy soled trainers then there is no absorbtion in the pedal stroke now. good for power transfer but a little harder on the muscles i would suspect.

as for not getting the shoes into or out of the pedals... usually results in some ugly wobbles at the lights in the first week or two!

• just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Thanks for all the advice! Have adjusted saddle height and moved cleat position slightly backwards (toes forward), 20k this morning was ok but not fast due to clip in/out practice on London's commuter traffic roads ... will do another 20k tonight and 45 miles day after to see if it gets better!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Its defo what MG said!