Home Chat General Chat

please tell me ican make it

[:@]have my first tri on sunday, could i have had a worse few weeks? ran a 10k 3weeks ago and have suffered sore knee since [i.t.b.] so running limited, was out on bike last week and bearings went on front and back, only just managed to change them, woke up yesterday after open water swim on sat. evening with a stinking cold, feel like sh[&o]t! can i make it for sunday? positive answers only please.

Comments

• no.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Yes, why not? Give it your best recovery shot, devote yourself to getting over this at least as well as you have trained up to this point.

I am in the vit C camp even tho no proven effects scientifically...hot apple juice, honey, flavour free vit C tab (stand back & don't overfill your hot apple juice) & two soluble aspirin dissolved in. Keep warm plenty of other fluids..big fan of hot ribena...no exercise.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Yes you can!

But....

Should you?

If it is anything longer than a sprint then it might not be a good idea.

Revise your goals... turn it into a practise for transitions... perhaps

.. but there is no point in doing it if you are not well.

It takes more courage and resolve to say "this isn't for me now" - than it does to go and do it, do badly, and disappoint yourself.

For now, take it easy - anything you try to do will just prolong your recovery time. Sleep a lot, eat well, don't drink!

Wait until the morning of the race. Any sign of temperature don't do it. Any sign of pain in the knee - don't do it. Believe me: it's much better to have an injury that makes you miss one race, than turn it into an injury that makes you miss a season.

So, don't get despondent. You'll either feel up to it, or you won't. And there will be another chance. So, just rest until the weekend.
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    Britspin wrote:

..big fan of hot ribena...no exercise.

Mmmm hot Ribena when ill is great....
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Yes,but if you still feel the worse for wearon the day race at a HR below LAT to prevent excess strain and further damage to your season.The mind is willing but the body is weak,is slightly different from the mind being weak and the body willing.Try Echinacea loads of it,vit b (soreen and other malty products)
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    It's all upstairs my friend...........you can, if you believe it

:)
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Ah Grasshopper.... Your body can do more than your mind thinks it can. Trust your body and you will be fine.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    maybe you can consider it part of the training - doing the best relaxed taper you can!

i'm agreement with the other posts, see how you feel closer to and on the day and if need be adjust the expectations or the way you approach the event.

with any luck the cold will shift, the body will recover and you can enjoy the race day.
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    Given that this sounds like me last week, sore knee for 3 weeks post dualathlon, started limited training again etc etc then bang.. a blooming cold... and had my tri this sunday just gone, however kept a really positive PMA...(sorry working for microsoft too long where acronyms rule..) but you probably know it..Positive Mental Attitude....keep your goal in mind and stay focussed and make sure your diet is good and drink plenty of fluids and you will.......YOU WILL be ok!!!!!! Good luck!!!
  • jthetjthet Posts: 45
    Young Jedi, the Force is strong in you. Do first Tri you will....
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Your mind will limit you! Yoir body is the most amazing tool ever. It actually has no idea of your minds limits and will go on and on and on!

Wrap yourself up in a blanket this week and self medicate with cold and flu relief and soreen!

You will blow the fcold away and finish the tri in a record time!

Bring it on!!!!!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Go for it. Its your first tri, so use it as an opportunity to make mistakes and not give a damn. Take your time if you have to. You don't need to go out there and blast your way through every discipline, but having said that, if you feel good why not?

Have fun, take the time to look around and enjoy yourself and let us know how you get on. You'll love it!

And guaranteed you'll get a pb [:D]