Home Chat General Chat

A big thankyou - and well done

GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
Fantastic day - really enjoyed it.

Conehead and the guys organised a really great, informative, actioned packed day with loads to learn.

Generous as anything!

If i'm not faster in transition i need a serious kicking!

Worth every penny - highly recommended.

G

P.S. Great to meet you all from the forum!!!!!!!1

Comments

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    I am looking forward to the south one more now.

[:D]

• squareclaresquareclare Posts: 99
    i cant wait till the southern one either!!
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    worth the 6 hour round trip and every penny - good to meet some forum bods face to face - at least I'll drown in style now[:D]
  • han382han382 Posts: 80
    Still only 3 signed up for the Southern day-come on Southerners (I'm a plastic as from Lancashire originaly)!

Im really looking forward to it-learning about the mistakes I'm going to make next week at Eton. WAT adding up though-just told the wife about it and we'd already booked to go out for the day-d'oh!
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Fantastic day with the legends that are Mr. Conehead - owner of the one and only Bravo Bravo (or Black Bomber to all us 'civie's'), Rick of the Kiddle - triathlon coach god, Mike from Bridgetown Cycles - probably the most helpful and genuinely nice bike shop owners in the northern hemisphere and Simon from the 'soon to be biggest race organiser in the UK' - Chaserace.

If, like me you are a relative newbie to triathlon then you really need to get in on one of these days - and no, i'm not in receipt of a brown envelope!

We had a great day talking about all things triathlon, coupled with trying on wetsuits, swimming in wetsuits, practising getting out of wetsuits (QUICKLY), practising transitions, changing inner tubes including using the extremely useful but slightly scary CO2 tire inflater's.

Dazza sorted out free SIS nutrition packs, compression socks, bike multi-tool and other stuff - and finished off with a surprise give-away of tri-suits, saddle bags, jackets, rucksacks and loads of other stuff. But that wasn't a patch on the coaching and advise we got from the experts on the day.

I'll be there for day two in a fortnight (this time an open water training day) and can't wait :)

• chaseracechaserace Posts: 20
    ooooohhhh biggest tri organiser in west mids I would settle for at the mo but we can only dream.

Nice to meet you all today and am chuffed you all had a good experience on a day that was not the best weather wise.

abiding memory of the day was watching Mr Kiddle running across the football field trying in vain to catch a plastic bag from escaping transition. I was laughing so hard I nearly wet myself.

See you all at the end of the month for rookie day 2...it's going too be good and I know you will love the lake. Tis super clean.
  • chaseracechaserace Posts: 20
    bet you say that to all the girls conehead..
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    It's good to hear it was so much fun, although I'm now getting impatient and the southern one is seeming such a long way off.
  • JuniacroodeJuniacroode Posts: 51
    Ditto on how great it was! Thanks so much Conehead, Rick, Mike and Simon. I never would have believed I could get out of a wetsuit so quickly without falling over and hurting myself but I did and feel so much more confident now! The day was such fun and I couldn't recommend it more. I feel so much better about the transitions going into my first race, things don't seem such a mystery anymore. All the guys were so helpful and able to cater for all abilities. Kiddle obviously made an impresion on me as I had a dream last night he made me dinner-haha-can that be included on day 2-lol ;)
  • j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    If anyone is umm-ing and ahh-ing about whether to attend one of Mr. Conehead's training days, do it. I am sure by attending these events it will increase the amount of enjoyment come race day as you are more prepared and knowledgeable. Plus it is nice to know that there are other people out there who are having the same issues and have the same questions as you.

So thank you Darren, Rick, Simon and Mike for giving up your time.

Jamie
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Conehead wrote:

Cate - whereabouts in Wales are you? I just need half an hour with you in the water

how do you make it last half an hour?

Is that included on the training day?

Mrs Didds might pay for it then! ;-)

didds

• DunkDunk Posts: 1
    Just wanted to add my endorsement of the day, as someone who is about as rookie as it gets I took a hell of a lot from the top class advice on offer.

Thanks to all those imparting the wisdom!
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    Cate - whereabouts in Wales are you? I just need half an hour with you in the water and you'll be twice as fast using half as much energy!
    [quote]ORIGINAL: Conehead

not sure that's an offer a girl can turn down[:D][:D][:D][:D]

20 miles inland from Aberystwyth - middle of no where[;)]
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Cant agree more with the guys here.

I drove up and back again on the same day (>5hrs), and rather than being knackered when I got home, I talked my missus ear off for about 2 hours. Worth every minute.

I'd gone up more or less knowing what I wanted to get out of the day, namely, transitions and a bit of bike maintenance. That doesn't do the day any justice though, cause I reckon I learned more in one day than in all the magazine articles, books and posts I've read over the last 2 months. You just get so much more from being there, asking questions, and actually doing it. The way it worked, everybody was involved, and we sometimes went off where the questions and answers took us, which made it pretty much bespoke training for everybody there.

After everybody managed to get out of their wetsuits in less than 20 seconds, it summed up the whole aim of the day for me - get an expert to explain and demonstrate, give you a working method, and you can do it yourself without too much trouble. That's the difference between reading it, or learning yourself the hard way - on the day of your first race.

Awesome day - relaxed and enjoyable, but packed with valuable information. Not to even mention the freebies (thanks for the Orca jacket - me like!)

A massive thanks to Darren, Mike, Simon and Rick for putting on a brilliant day. Anybody who is sitting on the fence - book it now. There's going to be much more interest after people start hearing about how this first one went, and there's only so many days available this year. DO IT.

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Conehead wrote:

I forgot to say - Leslie and Boo who attended the Rookie day are doing a review for tri247.com - so watch out for that. Also Triathletes World are sending someone on the 30th May Rookie Day to take part.

220 and Triathlon Plus have so far ignored my invitations. I also sent a copy of my book to the editor of Triathlon Plus with the invitation on the training days which didn't even elicit as much as a thankyou.

Awkward all round that - I don't suppose that TW will mention the involvement of the 220 Forum, and not great of 220 to ignore something that came about partly though discussions on their own forum.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Yeah screw 220 (lets see if I get deleted by Admin). Bad form on their part indeed.

Weren't you on the last page a few months ago Mr Head? Thought that might have got some interest from them.

Anyway, would love to come on one of your days (I seriously need it the wetsuit advice) but the dates just don't work for me at the moment. My T1 at the weekend was 3mins plus. Rubbish. And I left my wetsuit there as well! Idiot.

Sounds like a fantastic day. I will make one, just not sure when yet [:@]

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Conehead wrote:

not having a wetsuit for your next race will certainly solve your transition time issues!!

Did you get it back?

Waiting to hear back from humanrace... Funny though, part of me wants my Orca S2 to have disappeared so I can go out and get a pimped up version, I'm thinking the 3.8!

I just know its going to turn up now though.
  • teamspiritteamspirit Posts: 148
    is there still places avaliable for the southen training day.
  • teamspiritteamspirit Posts: 148
    Just got to see how easy it is to get to don't drive so just going to look at trains etc.
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    Didn't realise it was limited to 20 people, thought it'd be more than that.

Thats a good deal for £60, will see if I can get over for the southern one.

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Don't forget me mate.

And I live in Surrey so if anyone needs a lift then I can take 6 plus kit.

PM me - I don't mind doing a few drives to pick people up either as long as it's not miles and miles - will also drive by stations if need be en route.

If I can help people getting there then that's my good deed for the day.

Ben

• brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    damn can't make this one either....got hen's do.... wots the one on the 30th may you're mentioning Coney? is it a second day for the northern one or a different one that a newbie can attend?