Home Chat General Chat

Race Number on the swim

I'm doing my first tri in less than a couple of weeks and starting to get scared!

One thing I can't work out is to do with race numbers on my tri suit. I need to display the race number on the front and back (for bike and run), but if I attach it to my tri suit before the swim won't it come off or create lots of drag?

If I don't need it in the swim then I'll have to put it on during T1, don't fancy mucking around with safety pins when my hands will be shaking from the effort/adrenalin! Is there another way?

Also, embarrassing newbie question: What does 220 as in '220 triathlon' actually mean? Can't find any reference to it anywhere!

Cheers.

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    You need one or more number belts - they cost only a few quid - to attach your number to, which you then put on in T1.

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Its okay, you dont swim with your race number on, you'll be bodymarked for that.

Either have your number on an elasticated race belt or pinned to a t-shirt in T1, and put it on before you hop on the bike. Race belt is best as you have your number showing on your back on the bike and you can just spin it around to the front for your run.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    And 220 is a reference to your Max HR which is estimated at around 220 bpm minus you age.

Bl00dy stupid name for the magazine if you ask me.

• gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    If you do use an elasti cbelt, make sure you have it done up and ready in transition, then it's just a simple task of stepping into it. Too many people seem to waste time in T1 trying to get the belt done up.

Good question about 220 though!

• stagglystaggly Posts: 8
    A race belt...cool. I'll get one of those. I was thinking 220 (2:20) was some sort of golden time for a olympic tri.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Pfft! chance'd be a fine thing, reckon i'll be rolling home circa three hours for mine....if i'm lucky!!
  • I think I read somewhere that 220 was originally the time for an Oly that if you were under, you were classed as elite. Probably changed the timings now though!!
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    Flavadave wrote:

And 220 is a reference to your Max HR which is estimated at around 220 bpm minus you age.

Bl00dy stupid name for the magazine if you ask me.

Spot on Flavadave. 220 mag first came out in April 1989 (I still have a copy of issue 1 and 2) In one of the earlier issues someone asked the same question about the origins of a stupid magazine name. And it was the reference to Max Heart Rate.
  • I had a similar question for my first tri. I went for the racebelt option which works a treat.

The other bit of advice people gave me was to wear the number and race belt under the wetsuit so that you are ready to go as soon as you peel the wetsuit off. I was worried that the number would just disintigrate in the water but it seems to have worked ok so far.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    the other day I went to a TRI training day for the TRI I was doing. They told me to get a race belt. They also said it is a good idea to attach both numbers you are given to it, one behind the other. If you but the back number on upside down and so the number faces your body you wont have any probl;ems if it blows up in the wind as the number will still show the correct way round.