Home Chat General Chat

What's with the rain?

shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
Its rained in scotland since time began.... yip I look out the window and erm yes its raining.

Haven't had a decent cycle run for ages. Turbo I'm afraid... ooohh its still raining.

Comments

• and then you have Ireland ............... very green over here, why is that ................ because all it does in the four seasons of the year is rain, as in Scotland at the moment I look out the window and yes its raining, but the sun is also shining - thats Ireland !!
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    I think you're misremembering there Conehead. Up to about 1988 we were according to "experts" about to enter another ice age. [:D]

This summer's meant to be a sunny one, it's just not started yet I guess!
  • scott_burrowsscott_burrows Posts: 381
    I'm younger than you Conehead, but too remember quotes like:-

"the size of the hole in the Ozone will cover the whole of Europe by 2000"

"we are cutting down trees and rain forests so quickly by early next century there will be none left..."

"the ice caps are melting at such a rate that the sea level will rise by 5 meters.."

"Y2K virus will stop all computers working on midnight of Dec 31st 1999"

"don't worry son, it'll happen one day!!"

still waiting for all of them..

• SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    and then you have Ireland ............... very green over here, why is that ................ because all it does in the four seasons of the year is rain

That brings back so many memories of being sat at the window watching it chuck down for what felt like weeks on end during "summer". One thing I do not miss about Ireland is the constant feckin rain, even when it's not raining the air is just...well, wet.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Just had a fantastic week in Northumberland - in the Cheviots. I am browner than I would be if I had been to the med.

Only rained a bit on Friday and Saturday.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Don't worry Conhead, you're going to fry all summer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8057528.stm

Time to order the some more electrolyte replacement drink and some waterproof factor 50.

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Tomorrows World... Who can forget the lovely Judith Hann and Maggie Philbin (what she ever saw in Cheggars I'll never know!)

Here's one of their features... can't believe it never caught on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrWBz-fp05Y&feature=related
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Re-railed...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8057528.stm

Bring on the sunshine! Maybe I will shave my legs after all.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    you're not the only one that this weather is naffing off conehead... its right scuppered my training week (see other thread ... cheque's in the post still i suspect ). So much for a couple fo hours bike ride today... here in wiltshire its been stair-rods interspersed with drizzle interspersed with cold black cloud cover all day. Aquathlon tomorrow evening [1] so unlikely to do a bike tomorrow then i'm into mini-taper for salisbury on Sunday, first race of the year... (and my first ever pool based race ...!!!!!) ... and the forecast is RAIN.

:-(

didds

[1] Lake 32, summer aquathlon series. Well worth it!! Come on down!

http://www.janet-whiting.com/events.html

• @ Jules

Talking of Ice ages and what your dad always tells you......

My old man keeps telling me that we're something like 10,000 years overdue for the next Ice age, so better wrap up warm, its coming...........
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    They said this would happen early in the next century. They also said East Anglia would be underwater.

the people of norfolk have been adapting to this over generations by developing webbed toes [;)].

i don't necessarily mind the rain, although sunday morning it felt like i was getting swim training at the same time.

it's the wind that frustrates me more - the last couple of weeks have offered some excellent resistance training but i'd like some rides that don't involve 20mph+ gust headwinds.
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    I hate to pee you all off guys but it has not rained here in sunny Dorset hardly at all during the day! Has been a tad windy though, which is a pain because it has an uncanny habit of always being in your face, whichever way you go.....

Beautiful red sky out there now...........................
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Philbin,didn't she marry Chegwin off Swapshop.

Don't think the Met office know what's going on,I'm racing this weekend so I have been looking at the forecast,checked three different websites on the interweb and so far for race day I've got,

Forecast 1. says light wind,sunny,temp mid 20's.

Forecast 2. says light/mod wind,drizzle may be possible temp about 15 deg c.

Forecast 3.says strong wind 25mph gusting 35 at times,heavy rain showers,with thunderstorms,temp about 10 deg c.

So the scientists obviously are covering all bases,apart from the 4 horsemen appearing on the horizon,best pack the sun cream just incase.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    wouldn't worry about Norfolk the way its raining here I think Wales is about to be submereged - our lane has decided to revert to a river and no way am I taking BB through that
  • halfanironmanhalfanironman Posts: 129
    when do you draw the line?

i spent 2 h in the pissing rain tonight. had no choice. had to train.
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    well i've just got back from a few days in sunny..(yeh right) devon....and it was very windy and rainy....only got sunny when we left today (sods law!) actually went for a run along the beach in the most unpleasant weather...gail force winds and rain but absolutely loved it...i am sick! i think getting away from london and hitting the beach was the key...

you girls in dorset have it made....sigh...
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    it seems to have cleared here in wilts at least for today. wonderful warm sunny afternoon evening made my commute ride home and 5mi run a real pleasure.

please to be having more of this for the summer

• PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    I do recall TW predicting fibre optic cable and CDs though.

Speakling of TW, I also remember being on a family holiday in Spain and, to my horror, my dad entered the family in a contest with other families from the hotel.

The scores were close at the end and to separate us we were asked general knowledge quiz questions in a tie-break. Bear in mind that not everyone was English speaking,. The Spanish quizmaster asked us to name a famous William. While everyone else answered Shakespeare my brother jumped up and shouted "Woollard"!

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    The dream team was Raymond Baxter (Did all the boring stories - never let out of the studio) William Wollard (Did all the interesting stories) Michael Rod (did all the fun stories).

It was all blue skies thinking.. which brings the thread crashing back to the topic of weather. This is what we had all last week. It was great.

[image]local://2493/802B1688CB284C979785DF0E18595EB2.jpg[/image]