Home Chat General Chat

any words of wisdom ???

2»

Comments

• duphduph Posts: 13
    Seriously look at spending a year in the USA

Twice the money for nurses and gear is half the price of UK.

The difference in bike prices is sickening!
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    here we go damned nurse is after more pearls of wisdom .....

right oh we have tri bars (yipeee etc) - but I was unfortunately right even with the adjustment in the tri bars themselves ..... they are still postioned too far forward ... making steering difficult ... the only solution (I see) is to get a new (shorter) head stem thereby pulling the handlebars back ... am currently using a scott scale 60 mtb ... which has 26mm bars and with a 110mm headstem..... any suggestions as to what sort of head stem I should (or should not) be looking for .. was going to look on ebay for a 2nd hand one to keep cost down but so many (again) ... ??? talk to me .. anyone ????

thanks people with your continued input I may make to the start line [:D][:D][:D]
    Hi Guys !!!!!

this may be of some interest to those of you who like me are making do with a mountain bike for now... I have had a bit of bother trying to make mine more tri freindly - with help from some of the more wordly wise on here I slung a set of slick tyres on as well as clipless spd pedals making huge difference.

I then set about addressing the issue of being more aerodynamic than a barn .. what I found is that head stem and the frame on a mtb are at least 2 - 3 inches longer than a tri bike makiing the aero postion a shade harder to adopt. However with my seat as far foward as possible putting over the pedals (rather than behiind) & ensuring my seat was as high as my reach would allow it improved somewhat. The clincher though had to be turning my head stem upside down (mtb handle bars are angled upwards and away from the bike not helpful for aero) thus bring the bars down a good 2 inches improving my position big time.

As a result my legs can place more downward thrust through the pedals whislt maintaining a more comfortable and areodynmic position.

hope this might benifit someone !!!

Madnurse (phil)
    [center][color=#0066ff] [&:][&:] WETSUITS ????? [&:][&:][/color][/center]

it would seem I will have to dig further into my overdraft (the NHS doesnt seem to recognise tri wetsuits as nursing uniform and thereby tax deductable ..odd that)

anyhow ... point for discussion and feedback if you could guys & ladies .... am novice who has yet to complete an open swim (at least in triathlon). I can swim breaststroke with comparative ease but am working hard to bring my crawl up to scratch (as yet am still swimming 500m in 15 minutes that partly down to my turns as much as my crawl but T.I is helping). I obviously need a wetsuit...

[&:] do i go new or second hand (am not bothering to hire as I sticking in with tri until it or the wife kills me) ???

[&:] would you have any recomendations on suits (so many to choose from) after all you have tested them .. what was good or not ???

( I have been and tried a few on at a local tri shop so I know the fit I need )

[blockquote]

many thanks .... AGAIN !!!!!!

madnurse (Phil) [:D][:D]

[/blockquote]