Home Chat General Chat

Garmin 405 v 301XT

I went out and bought a Garmin 405 a while back and love it for helping keep me on track with my training. I have just seen the new Garmin 310 XT and wondered if it is worth switching ? Has anyone seen or played with the new 310XT ?

Also was looking for some views on other Garmin products (Edge 705 for example) as I am getting into some off road mountain biking as well as road riding..

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    The 310 xt isn't released yet - Early June.

I have the Garmin 305, and I'm definately going to upgrade - the ability to wearing it swimming will be excellent. It's alomost exactly the same in terms of information it shows and data it records but has a 20hours battery life - So should be ok for Ironman etc.

The cheapest i've seen it is £230 but going up to £300.

[:D]
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    There is a new variant of the 405 out now - the 405CX. Can't remember what it does different - but you can get a little gradient chart of your route, or so the advert says.

I have a 405 and prefer it to the 305. More compact, but the screen is the same. A few more blingy features that may or may not be of use. Battery life might be better.. can't remember now. Too busy to research it!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I am thinking of doing the same, my 405 is great for running and the HRM is good too, but as ia can't use it for the swim it isn't really ideal. The 310thing looks good and as you say has the longer battery life should i try an ironman at any time.
    Had a look at the 310XT now. I bought my 405 in January (aka a Christmas Present). If the XT had been available, I probably would have bought that. The waterproofosity is the killer feature. Just being able to get loaded up at the start of the race and not having to worry about it would be great.

I don't want to use the HRM during the race, but I like the data to pore over afterwards.

Currently I am thinking (with my 405):

- Chest strap on before the swim (hope it doesn't get too wet!)

- 405 pre-strapped to the bike.

- Use it for the bike leg where I need to know what speed I am doing a bit more than the run.

- Then nothing for the run as I know what I am doing there.

But that is less that satisfactory. I might consider removing the 405 from the Bike and putting it on in T2.. but that would take a minute (by the time I had dropped it three times, knackered the strap etc.)

I may just have to sell one of my kidneys and get a 310XT. Gits.

Feature comparison of 405CX and 310XT.

XT is waterproof, and you can flip between swim/cycle/run modes at the touch of a button. And you can use it with compatible power meters. Nice.

• graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    That is the key difference from the 405 to the 305 and now the 310 - the latter two are multi sports watches - You can set it up to time your swim T1 Bike T2 and then your run. works really well - I did it on a duathlon.
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    I currently have a 405 which I enjoy using for both cycling (mounted on handlebar) and running.

However it's not a quick task changing from one mode to another, especially during a race, and obviously not being able to use it during the swim.

I may well consider getting the new 310XT and selling on the 405.

Where id you see it for £230?
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    lusting after 301XT BUT not sure how the tearing off the wetsuit speed will be affected by trying to get the arm off over it - going to be challenging enough - using the 301 brick at present which I love and have it attached to bike and accept that swim is left out.
    This is site is saying it is £228. But it is all pre-order for now. I would wait a bit for things to settle down. The first version is bound to be full of bugs [:)].

Garmin have far too many devices at the moment.. there's bound to be a bit of a shake down. Prices won't start to fall until all the old 3xx and 4xx devices are out of the pipeline.