Home Chat General Chat

What training have you done today?

Comments

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    managed to drag my butt out and did an hour of cadence on the bike straight into a 10k (sub 60 mins) .. apparently this known as a brick .. sure felt like one had been surgically implanted for the 5 mins of run ..

madnurse
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    fought my way out of bed - drove to the pool to be confronted with "sorry love the pool is closed because the water is too cold" - shame I didnt have a wetsuit with me

so will try again tonite...

Did some swimming and running last week but didnt log it here...ooopppss

blimey .. managed a good weights session this morning followed this evening by a set of 5 x 6 minute intervals (running) with my local tri club. (just a little stiff from last night but all in a good cause) ... NEXT ???? briing it on !!!!!!!!!! [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Have been off this page for a while, so will give a run down of last few days:

Saturday: 10 mile off-road run with more uphills than downhills (at least, that's how it felt!)

Sunday: 1 and a half hours swim

Monday: 1 hour in gym mainly on bike (I'm a fairweather floozy)

Tuesday: Swim 2k am, 10k run in evening, approximately 50 mins.

Wednesday: 1 hour gym on the bike again

Thursday: Swim 2k am, with some drills, and have a great fun circuits class tonight. Then I get to go home and eat loads of pasta! Hurrah!

Runnerbean
  • Hi guys, I'm looking into tri, but i'm worried about starting this exciting sport as i feel unfit and it's discouraging me from trying! Any tips on how to start as an absolute beginner, please?

Thanks, Em x
    had a rest day yesterday omfg did i need it .. still wanted to get out tho and bike despite rain ... anyhow manged to do about an hours interval training in the pool 5 x 100m (so needed to get my swim stuff kick started .. glad i now have) is it just me or do others have a thing about the swim too ????

[&:][&:][&:]

madnurse (phil) !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SetantaSetanta Posts: 42
    Em, the main thing is to find your base, in that I mean how well can you swim, bike and run. Once you know how well you can do all three then try to improve all disciplines at the same time, at least one of them will need extra work. To begin with you need to be realistic in your goals. If you are a complete couch potato then forget the London Triathlon as you will be putting yourself through unnecessary torment.

Look up www.britishtriathlon.org for clubs in your local area, join one of them and find some sprints to compete in. Remember a sprint will take you well over an hour so personally I would go for one of those to begin with. As I said before look at what condition you are in at the moment and build on that.
  • SetantaSetanta Posts: 42
    Had my first open water swim of the year today and have to say............. OH MY GOOD GOD. The only reason for such madness is my first rac.... OK no excuses, it was very cold and silly. In saying that I did manage a good 500m and it would have been the quickest ever as I just wanted to get out asap.
  • Ok, thanks. So you suggest i swim, jog or cycle til i keel over and go from there, add extra lengths each session etc?

Em x
  • jojojojo Posts: 76
    hi

am new to this ... so here is my tri training today (training for triathlon 6th aug)

did 2000m rowing

then 51 mins runnig at 11.5 km (about 9.6k)

then some weights and stomach stuff

felt good - have been eating a bit more to try and boost my energy levels and find it really helps with energy levels

Jo
    argh nightmare .. woke up yesterday with like one lung missing and my throat on the rough side of nopt healthy .... (not quite sure what happened unless i picked a bug swimming the other day) oh well so took yesterday off (2 rest days in week .. jesus wept).

today however faired better (although tri club training was cancelled due to weather) so did weights session at gym on legs and shoulders - feel better for it ,,,,,, am off to overdose my man flu with lemsip & shed loads more food ....

(snotty) madnurse (phil) [:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]
    just a bit stiff from last nights weights but none the less got my butt of the couch and did a spin class straight into a 40 minute run i seem to have beaten this lurgy that was possessing me ... a drop of tiger balm might not go amiss though !!!!!!!!!!!

madnurse (phil)
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Hi you all seem to be working hard at this, I am looking forward to my first sprint tri at the end of April and am trying to get there fast. I have an irritating groin strain that is stopping from run training, but doesn't stop me cycling or swimming. As running is my fastest discipline at present i'm not too worried and it's giving me the time to concentrate on the others.

I have been trying to ride to work (12m each way) Mon/Tues/Sat, currently averaging 17.5mph, and yesterday was swim squad training as well: including 10x100m on 20sec rest. My quads were tight from pushing hard to&from work.

I have fitted in at least one other ride and sometimes another swim.

From this weekend i am ramping up the distance rides at the weekend, as i have found a group to ride with; hope they don't leave me too far behind.

DAvid
  • chischis Posts: 94

Hi folks

Back to some proper training after a little inaction. So:

Tuesday 14th: Warm -up run of 5 mins then Hilly run (9 efforts) sprinting up the hills then jog recovery to next hill. This was done with a group from my running club and you do your own thing on the hills but circle up at the top and move together to the next one. After the hills there is a 5 min warm-down. Good session for strength building but you need a hilly route - easy to find in Barnsley!!

Hope to get some longer cycle rides in soon especially now the rain has washed a lot of the salt off the roads - hopefully it will get a little warmer soon too!

chis
    hi

Good to hear you're all working hard - it seems that everyone inc me is seeing the running as the easiest bit - just a bit nervous of how I'll feel running after doing the cycling and swimming.

Anyway have been doing some good training this week - did 2100 m rowing and then straight on the treadmill for 52 mins run at 11.5km - haven't yet increased my speed - but have got plenty of time to work on it. Also yesterday did my first swimming session - in a 20 m pool - it was hard - did 10 lengths breaststroke followed by 4 front crawl and did it about 8 times - really thought about my frontcrawl - its just that when I start getting tired my head goes all over the place and I cant seem to swim in a straight line.

But am sure I'll get there in the end. Today going to do a 12k cycle and then straight onto a 15/20 min run (hopefully).

Any comments gratefully received.

JOJo
    All this hard work is making feeling lazy / motivated to pick it up...

After nearly 2 weeks of inactivity due to laziness, pool closer and stupidity on my part finally got back to the pool last night.

4 * 50

5 *100

should/could have been more had to take the wife home as she got the pool before me so was way ahead by the time I started ... still trying to build up as I really struggle with this swimming game.

Nothing this morning run scheduled but after decorating til 10pm last night couldnt get out of bed for it

hi there fellow sufferers !!!!!!! [:@][:@][:@]

yesterday managed a hour on the bike (new spds & slick tyres do make a difference) then later ran with tri club (steady 6 - 7 miles in an hour).....oh how we laughed at the artic conditions [&:][&:][&:] (note to self why did i go in shorts ??).

today weights this morning (session on back & tri's) followed by a coached swim session this afternoon

madnurse (phil) [:-]
    begining to think i am the only one filling this thing in ...or am i the only one traning LOL I doubt it.....

anyhow yesterday was a rest day (think i needed it .... but was itching to get stuck to traninig all day... not a good sign) ....

swam today 20 x 50m breast out crawl back 30 secs recovery, then drills for 20 minutes followed by 1 x 250 m crawl out breast back (omfg did i really have a rest day yesterday ... but it will add up with a consistent approach and be worth come my first sprint)

madnurse (phil) [8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]

• pdundepdunde Posts: 99
    did a 10 Km run last night, then this morning did a 2Km swim. Going for an 80 Km bike ride tomorrow (assuming this howling gale at 2 Deg C nobs off!!!)
    Don't worry Phil you're not alone we are all just beavering away quietly!

yesterrday did nearly 40m on the bike in that howling gale. Included some hills which i sorely need and am now sorely remembering. Averaged 15mph so not too bad with a 1:6 hill 1.5m long in there somewhere.

Rode to work this morning and will try to towmorrow as well as a swim squad session.

David
    hi

no phil - we are definitely working out hard! After tackling the swimming on wed (think I posted my workout) I did a 12k cyle at the gym then straight on to 20 min run at 11.5 - could have done more but don't want to over do it at the early stage. Rested Fri and Sat and yesterday rowed 2100m then ran for 30 mins and did some weights - again could prob have done more.

So I'm getting there slowly - planning to do a 10k run tomorrow with a swim session on wed and cycle and run on thursday.

Jojo
    HI all fellow self inflicters (esp David & JO) [:)]

My humble attempts to become adept at this test of the flesh soul and spirit that is tri for today:

a.m. pool time - 1 x 250m alternating crawl and breaststroke

10 x 50 crawl with 30 sec recovery

5 x 100m crawl with 60 sec recovery

5 x 50m crawl with 30 sec recovery

1 x 250m breaststroke

p.m. run - hilly interval training 12 km 1 hour

night - radox bath [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
    Sunday - 50 km bike with tri club ... really good did some speed work and sprints on hills ..
    Cross Training today....

Intervals on the rowing machine...

1000m - 3:30r

750m - 3:00r

500m - 3:00r

250m - 2:30r

750m

Should have been

1000m row, 3:00r [align=left] [/align]750m row, 2:30r [align=left] [/align]500m row, 2:00r [align=left] [/align]250m row, 2:00r [align=left] [/align]750m row.

but forgot the proper rest times for the "Rugby Test" - swimming tomorrow..

I'll be posting more often (i did start this thread [&:] )so I better get my finger out and post on it

That's a good swim session Phil.

I rode to work yesterday and again today but have sore quads after Sundays 64km.

Swim session tonight.

How does this work? cycling downwind down on the tribars presenting a much smaller area to the wind, but still faster than sitting up on the hoods presenting a large back to the wind.[8|][sm=rolleyes.gif]

David
    hi guys

have to say you are all doing such long distances .... maybe coz thats coz you're doing the ironman. Anyway did my 10k run today preceeded by 2100m rowing and after the run did a few weights until I noticed my trainer was covered in blood - burst a blister. Felt good today and majorly thankful for the joy of working part time otherwise I don't know how I'd fit it all in. Tomorrow - going to do a 14k bike session followed by a 20 min run (taking the bike up slowly).

It's really therapeutic this forum.

Happy training

Jo x
    JoJo This year i aim to compete only at sprint/super sprint distances, and then next year hope to graduate to olympic, but my bike training is longer to give me the speed and power that i need to storm through[:D] the shorter bike ride rather than just cope.

The only distance you don't exceed in training is the marathon length events, like the ironman and probably IM70.3. You need to train to 8m to run a 10K race and 30-40 miles to ride a 40km cycle race. When you come to your race you need to be aerobically fit enough to compete for at least the expected finish time of the event. In training you won't be putting all three disciplines together at the full length therefore you need to be working slowly to the point where you can do a brick session which lasts as long as your expected race time.

Loads of people who run the London Marathon start training at Christmas for the April on the back of very little previous experience. They would achieve a much better result and suffer less pain if they started on Jan 1st for the April 16 months hence.

Anyway: yesterday rode to work & back then Swim session:

warm up 400m crawl, then

400 crawl

10x25m backstroke lane clear

300m crawl

10x25 back lane clear

200m crawl

10x25 back lane clear

100m crawl

warm down

feeling achy when i started this was just the job - now i feel REALLY achy[:)][:D]

David
    swimming this morning

4*50m (1min rest)

5*100m (betwen 1 and 2mins rest)

2*50m (30s rest)

Am pretty happy with that as I have been try to get the metres up as my technique improves and at the end felt good enough to go on - so will get to the pool earlier on friday....

Tomorrow x-training

Hi DOtriharder

Thanks so much for that - that is useful advice and I will be using it.

Jox
    hello again !!!! more to put into the melting pot

weights last night (good session really enjoyed)

this mornining - chilled !!!

this afternoon - coached swim (how many feckin lengths ... & I paid for such treatment)

this evening - should be running with tri club ... BUT NAH !!!!! sod 'em am having some time off

until next time fellow sufferers

madnurse (phil)