Home Chat General Chat

220 Magazine Diet pages

Is it just me or do all the featured people eat a perfect diet and the bird still finds time to moan about the poor soul having a beer or a glass of wine at the weekend!!!!

Just looking through issue 230 ( Feb 09) and the girl featured is 27yrs old, weighs 56kg, and eats what I'd say is an amazingly balanced diet.

Raw Vegs, Fruit, fresh fish, homemade meals, etc etc and the nutritionist still feels the need the have a pop.

Come on!!!!!

All the women wants to achieve is an OD triathlon..... Now correct me if I am wrong but you don't have to sacrifice your entire life and eat dust, proteins and carbs to reach that goal ? Or do you ?

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    willieverfinish wrote:

Now correct me if I am wrong but you don't have to sacrifice your entire life and eat dust, proteins and carbs to reach that goal ? Or do you ?

Any thoughts ?

Better not I'm relying on chocolate to get me through sprints let alone Oly
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196

Now correct me if I am wrong but you don't have to sacrifice your entire life and eat dust, proteins and carbs to reach that goal ? Or do you ?

Any thoughts ?

Well said mate.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Thank god I'm not the only one. [;)]

Maybe I'm being naive here but for the girl in question in that particular article I'd say a much greater emphasis on the type and intensity of training is going to make her OD dreams much more of a reality that eating a perfect diet, with Zero Alcohol ( ie not one glass of wine every weekend) and no social life.

I suppose it's all relative and depends on what you want from competing in triathlons. Maybe I've got alot to learn.

( don't burst my bubble yet)

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    I like this way of thinking [8|]

Diets SUCK.
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    i'm Gary and i STILL drink too much :(

I eat McCoy's crisps and the occasional Snickers bar when in the car

There is nothing 'right' about my diet - i'd like to change but you know how it is......right?

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Conehead wrote:

This is some of the nutrition advice I give to athletes -

everything in MODERATION is fine, might not be good for the body but its good for the soul. If you're miserable you won't perform at your best.

more evidence for Conehead as COACH OF THE YEAR!!!

:-)

didds

• julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Too right. You only live once!
    and wrt the recipes...

does ANYONE actually ever eat char grilled asparagus?

didds

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Reading this made me realise I have lied this month....I believe I said at some point I had read 220 cover to cover, but not so. I must skip the nutrition pages subconsciously as they are mostly irrelevant..I will go & look now.

Altho' generally I have a good diet & I do think about what I feed myself on, I do have at least one 'cheat' day per week (which is today) & eat within reason what I like, so bring on the snickers if I fancy one, most likely won't drink tho..work later so not good to be beery.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I think that in some cases nutritionists feel the need to justify their existence - they probably are of great use to elites and those top age groupers who will think about turning elite, BUT i know that having a day a month where i get takeaway, drink cola beer wine etc, eat ice-cream and generally act like a fat slob isn't going to help my training so the point in telling me this is what exactly? In general my diet is good, i eat mostly home made foods, fresh veg fruit salad etc don't drink much anymore and try to balance my calories in/out protein carbs to the right levels. Fussing over one glass of wine or whatever on a weekend is just silly particularly at my (very low) level
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    On the alcohol point, I came back from track session last night and called in on the off licence on the way home to buy a couple of beers. As I was paying one of the coaches comes in, tells me well done I deserve the beer after a hard session!

For most of us this is a hobby, time consuming and expensive but still a hobby. Conehead is spot on if you're miserable, it will affect your racing anyway. So the occasional beer, choccie bar, takeaway will do you good in my view, as long as you are sensible most of the time.

Ummmm....did today, well I was chargrilling my fresh tuna steak & the steamer was full of broccolli, spinach, carrots & courgettes, so....english asparagus from Evesham it was...mmmm.
    Britspin wrote:

Ummmm....did today

Blimey. Soreen AND char grilled apsaragus.

Shoudn't Britspin be writing those diet sections then?

:-0

didds

Today I mostly be eating skate wing cooked in a sweet tomato, coriander & garlic sauce, with a side of steamed asparagus & spinach.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    @ Britspin - That sounds so good my mouth is watering! You should put a book together! How Triathlon food ruined my life!!!!!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    I'm having fish, chips and mushy peas with a wally on the side! GET IN!

Dave - What the hell is a wally on the side? Am I just missing something? Or maybe missing a tasty treat?
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    A wally is a pickled gherkin. Love em, go through jars of the things! A fish and chip meal ain't complete without one.

Pickled eggs however... evil.
    Malt loaf for afters?

I have learnt something new today Dave! Thats the Red Kev det paid!