Home Chat General Chat

Training a week inbetween races?

joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
I have a couple of triathlons a week apart and distances vary, but am wondering what training should I be doing inbetween. Do I keep it short and sweet or should I have a couple of days off with harder training inbetween?

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    It depends a lot on how you feel and what your body tells you.

For me, I need to have two or three days off after a race as I am just too stiff and sore to do anything. I usually can't get up and downstairs till Wednesday.

I need to have two days clear before a race or I do not perform at my best.

So, for me, I would do nothing except perhaps a gentle/recovery exercises - maybe a swim or bike. Then gym work with stretching/core/lightish weights. Possibly a very gentle jog to check for injuries, status of kit etc. etc. the day before.

But if you are a fit young thing....
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    All you need to be when you line up at the start is to be 'Fit to finish',not just 'Fit to start',if the first race is longer it will take the body longer to recover therefore any exercise should in theory be of a less stressful nature than if the first race was a shorter one,to be realistic,everyone is capable of achieving different results.So you have to experiment to obtain the best results in the long term,this may lead to the unfortunate nightmare race scenario,but unless you tri(y) ,sorry,you will not find out.No matter how much you train,it is hard to replicate a race.So what if you get some bad results,better to have a couple of bad races that you learn from to get years of improvement,than to just plod on hoping for the best with mediocre results.Alot of people fear failure so will opt out of trying something different to save face,but just look at the sporting Heretics who did try something different and succeeded,Boardman,Obree,Frosberee,et al.All the best.
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    Fabulous, thanks guys...it's given me some food for thought...I am upping the distance this time round but am trying to listen to my body (slightly creaky after last weekend what with unaligned hips, weak ankles, tight back etc etc..), however really want to do well, but like you mention jon.e, if it doesn't work out then I will have learnt from my mistakes! So off for a 7k run tonight I think!![:)][:)]
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    joolzd wrote:

(slightly creaky after last weekend what with unaligned hips, weak ankles, tight back etc etc..), So off for a 7k run tonight I think!![:)][:)]

So you would be one of the more physically perfect Forumities,creaky back,I should be so lucky.
  • ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    it would also depend on how important these races are in your season. ie are they your a races or, b or c. if they are a c race, maybe even train the day before and after, or even later that day. ie just use the race as an intense training session.

if an a race, clearly get a taper in.