Home Chat General Chat

Pool swimming

Quick question if I may...

When you go for a pool swim - what do you wear ?

Baggies ? Tri suit ? Swimming specific shorts, Speedo's ( I do hope not) ?

I wore my tri suit the other day for no other reason that my board shorts feel orrible now and the looks I got was staggering. So, am I a total berk for wearing a tri suit and/or any suggestions please ?

Yours as ever

Comments

• chapperschappers Posts: 97
    I just go for shorts as there's no way you'll get me in speedos. Besides, my swimming is nowhere near good enough to notice any drag from shorts ;-)

It's amazing how much people still stare at things out of the ordinary- I regularly get called a tanker for wearing flourescents on the commute. Even been slapped on the ass by drive-by chavs- one after the other- (i won't say what happened when i sped up and caught him at lights)

Go what you're comfy in I say and let the eeejits stare
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    I wear a pair of speedo jammer shorts (Speedo Jammers at Wiggle). I find they have the speed advantage of not wearing baggy shorts, don't feel lose around the thigh like the boxer short length ones and make having a pull buoy between my legs feel a lot better.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    if i'm not following the swim session with a bike one then i wear speedo-boxer-length-shorts.

if i'm going to do a bike session straight after then i wear tri shorts and maybe a tri-top as well. i'm sure i've had a few looks but my eyesight is bad enough without glasses i can't see them!

wear whatever you feel is suitable for the swim, sod what anyone else thinks.

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I have been swimming in y tri shorts so I could get use to them! I normal swim in board shorts or such like.

Speedos are for the.................Boys!
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    I did wear Speedos a long leg version to the knee but stopped when the 'S' became unpicked (mysteriously) and they said Peedo! [:-]
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    willieverfinish wrote:

So, am I a total berk for wearing a tri suit and/or any suggestions please ?

Yours as ever

Wouldn't go that far, but you're a braver man than I. Baggy shorts for me... bit of extra drag, makes me work a little harder so come race day I'll feel like sh1t off a shovel!
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Flouro mankini mate.

omg - you would know it's Friday morning. I'd better do some work...
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    I mix it up. I have some baggy swim shorts but I do go in my trisuit occasionally too - just so I'm used to it - avoids finding out it digs in somewhere or no longer fits on race morning.

The pool I swim in, no-one seems to notice thankfully.
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    Baggy shorts for me, not getting me in anything tighter than that just yet.
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    I've been to my pool in my wetsuit......but its a gym pool and is almost empty most of the time......9 times out of 10 i just wear swimming shorts though
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    i just wear a pair of speedo boxer length shorts which are reasonaby well fitted. That said i am going to try my board shorts and see the difference in drag now i think i can swim a bit
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    swam last couple of times in tri-shorts....just to get used to them before using them for the first time on race day...couldn't get in the pool quick enough the first time [:)]...but good now especially when jumping straight on the bike wet and cold...
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Speedos it is I am afraid.

Pause whilst you attempt to get that picture out of your mind....
  • Normal swimming cossie for me!![sm=rolleyes.gif]
  • LeezarLeezar Posts: 36
    I use nut huggers(boxer size) for practicing technique and baggy shorts for distance swimming
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    oh dear britspin, speedos. I am scarred, scarred for life.

I sometimes where jammers - lycra speedo short type things, and occasionally I wear some super baggy bright pink shorts, to increase the resistance!
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I usually wear boxer short legnth speedo esq shorts - but recently have been using my Tri Shorts - for Tri club swim sessions sometimes use the full one piece suit, but never in a public session ;)

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I've been doing some sesions in my wetsuit complete with cap, don't give a monkeys about people looking at me. It is my weakest but getting better - hoorah - (I hope).