Home Chat General Chat

Core Exercises

I've been reading a little about core exercises recently but I've struggled to find a set of decent exercises that may help me in triathlon. I'd like a set of exercises that will last around 20 minutes that I can do anywhere without the help of a Swiss ball. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Do you have any weights?

Plank

Crunches

Leg raises sort of thing... (need a diagram to show what I mean - but lie on your back, legs out stretched, slowly bring your knees up, then slowly bring them down).

Squats - One legged (good for balance)

Swan (or is it a stork). On one leg, other leg outstretched towards the back, arms out stretched Body horizontal. Up and down on the one leg.

Press ups with rotation.

Plank on the side. Raise arms and legs to be a star, Slowly.

And so it goes.

Get a ball. They are cheap!
  • MintyMatMintyMat Posts: 98
    Thanks for the advice, that's great.

No weights, nor ball. I have little space due to having two kids under 3! The idea is that I do this with no equipment. Any ideas on how long I should be holding these and for how many reps?
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Start by holding each plank/side plank for 30 secs and work up from there as you get stronger, anything up to 2 mins. But plank is only an isotonic contraction and you may find it more useful to use a dynamic movement for functional reasons.

What Jack has described are all great moves. If you take a leg away you are instantly challenging balance and in turn your core has to do more work to compensate. Also if you use good form, you will be using core muscles anyway all the while you are running/swimming etc also.

Ballet is good for this too, though maybe one to keep for when in private! [:D]
  • Not much space? Need a strong core?

Kettlebells are the way for you. I say this from experiance cause my room was about 2.5 metres long by about 1.5metres wide last year, in which there was a bed and a set of drawers so space was a premium.

Bodyweight though jack hughes got most of it, i would also recommend bicycles and Janda sit ups (they sound like a martial arts thing, they aint, its the guys name apparantly)

You can view them in depth on this website (bodybuilding.com)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Real_New=%3C%3D+7&Name=&MainMuscle=Abdominals&Equip=BodyOnly&Isolation=&order=Name

If you need help with technique or kettlebells or that pm me - as bad as i am at swimming is inversely proportional to how good as i am with core stuff

• jamewahjamewah Posts: 113
    MintyMat wrote:

I've been reading a little about core exercises recently but I've struggled to find a set of decent exercises that may help me in triathlon. I'd like a set of exercises that will last around 20 minutes that I can do anywhere without the help of a Swiss ball. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Check the 220 edition erm . . . 232! a couple of months back now, 'Learn from triathlons fastest biker' ? Ain-Alur Juhanson

he shows you his routine of core exercises

can't be bad !
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    And there is always dropping coconuts on your midsection from a dizzy height, but maybe save that for those beach holidays.
  • MintyMatMintyMat Posts: 98
    jamewah wrote:

Check the 220 edition erm . . . 232! a couple of months back now, 'Learn from triathlons fastest biker' ? Ain-Alur Juhanson

can't be bad !

Ha! I'd love to but my 9 month old threw up all over it!
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    @ Bman-coconuts? you obviously dont holiday on the isle of wight then do you? lol
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    you obviously dont holiday on the isle of wight then do you? lol

I do [:)] Going for the long weekend. Can't wait for a bit of seaside, whoo hoo!!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Good thread cheers guys! I know I need to work on my core... I shall endeavour to start this weekend.

Not so sure about the coconuts.

Kettleball sounds interesting Coma, but I just know the misses would roll her eyes if I brought one home. I've already got a dusty pair of dumb bells and pull up bar under the bed. Must start using them.
  • jamewahjamewah Posts: 113
    MintyMat wrote:

ORIGINAL: jamewah

Check the 220 edition erm . . . 232! a couple of months back now, 'Learn from triathlons fastest biker' ? Ain-Alur Juhanson

can't be bad !

Ha! I'd love to but my 9 month old threw up all over it!

Order a back issue from the 220 website ?
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    One of the most important things not to forget when it comes to core exercise is your lower back! Lots of people dont do the lower back exercise's and it becomes pain full when running and cycleing.

Face down on the floor, hands behind your head, now lift your head anchest off the floor and turn to one side and lift the opposite leg off the ground. Back to the floor and repeat the other way.