Home Chat General Chat

half ironman

Good luck Joddybear, I wanted to do that race but couldnt get the time off work guaranteed. Bit gutted really, but I'll be doing Switzerland on the 7th June instead.

Comments

• JoddyBearJoddyBear Posts: 66
    Only three weeks left until the half ironman event up on exmoor.

I'm starting to believe that i might actually have a hope of finishing now, albeit very slowly.

Is anybody else trudging up to wimbleball for this one or will i be the only forum fool to represent our brotherhood?

If it helps gary i will be sending you a photo and some money in order to procure one of your wondrous fashion creations in order to identify myself, i just need to get the digital technology going.

• CPT333CPT333 Posts: 56
    Im there.Will be going up on the thurs eve.Terrified but super excited but so so terified! I cant wait.Almost time for the taper.An unfortunate reminder of how close the race is getting.Have only been training and doing tri's since jan so lets hope these 6 months have done some good.I figured,Why not throw myself in at the deep end although full ironman was a little too extreme for this year so thats next year! I cant wait!
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I'm gonna be there too, and I think that everything is finally starting to click.

This weekend is going to be some serious time on the bike and then next week is the beginning of the end! After that, taper and get pumped up! I'm scared of the cycling route like I'm ashamed to admit, but hopefully repeats of Box Hill this saturday will get me over that.

The run looked pretty tame compared to the things I've forced upon my legs, so that'll probably be a good time, and the swim looks beautiful with plenty of things to sight off of.

I'm looking forward to meetign some fellow forum dwellers! Will be on the look out for the t-shirts!

• sam_thebatmansam_thebatman Posts: 112
    Im doing it as well. Looking forward to it now. Though i am not looking forward to the bike.

Going to go down early on the Saturday morning, is there anywhere to camp down there? I havent sorted out that bit yet!!
  • sam_thebatmansam_thebatman Posts: 112
    Oh and also, it says that the start time is 6am, is this start time for everyone??
    Lookin forward to meeting you guys up there for a joint suicide attempt.

Sam, in answer to your questions;

Camping - theres a few campsites around there but i haven't got a list handy. I'll try to dig it out and post it here over the weekend. Alternatively check out the accommodation link at the bottom of the "Official" website (http://www.half.ironmanuk.com/default.asp?PageID=16655) where they have one site listed.

As to the start, yep its 6am all round for a mass start on the lake shore.

Suddenly i wonder whether this is just one small step too far...
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    There is a campsite actually at the start by the lake, just walk out of your tent and you're there! You have to have a 3 night block although obviously you don't have to stay for all three. Its £25 per adult for a tent pitch for the 3 nights. They still have pitches available as we only booked ours today> If you pm me with your email address I'll send you the booking form, which you complete and email back to them. You can then phone through and pay by card and thats it-sorted!
    hey guys,

other websites in the area can be found by checking out these websites

http://everythingexmoor.org.uk/page.php?id=160

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/townlisting.asp?town=Dulverton

hope this helps

Jody
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Does anyone who's done this race before have an idea about what water temp to expect in mid-June? I was hoping for at least 12C but if its lower than that I might be going for a pair of gloves or extra hat. Any advice is much appreciated.